• 224 Replies

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« on: August 01, 2014, 12:04:59 am »
Lovely work once again, Somna.  You spoil us terribly.

I suspect Angrashael might have looked into the inverse flame and the story is derived from that.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 04:59:10 am »
Cheers, man.  (sigh)  You're probably right about the IF.  Fuckin' Bakker... is nothing simple and straight-forward in your world?  Is a spoon not just a spoon?  No, it's some devious Inchoroi obscenity we call a spoon.  I drool over the complexity, and yet find myself yearning for simplicity.  :-\
No whistling on the slog!

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:32:50 am »
"Simplicity. Symmetry. Beauty.  These are but the appearance of the holy - the gilding that deceives."

But seriously art should show things as described, I think. Just can't stop speculating. ;)

Francis Buck

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:16:26 pm »
I came across that Angeshrael piece when I happened to look him up on the PoN wiki. Awesome stuff dude! While Cure's idea of the "fire" in question being the IF has crossed my mind, I've always been more attracted to the idea that it was simply a "scrying fire", much like the one Kellhus shows to Proyas. Assuming that this story is NOT literal (and to an extent, I think most of the older tales of the Gods are indeed mostly true), then it would imply that an Inchoroi somehow posed as Husyelt (not all that unbelievable) and that the IF is something, well...mobile, for lack of a better word. An object that one can carry it around with them. For whatever reason, I do not have the impression that the IF is like that...it seems more like something that's stuck in the heart of the Ark, and thus one must travel to it. But if it is mobile, then it could have been a goad to make the Tribes of Men invade Earwa, except then we already know for a fact that they did this pretty satisfactorily with the Tusk itself.

It's an interesting question. The very early periods of Earwa are one of the most intriguing things in the series for me (mainly the origins of the Nonmen and their relation to humans, and where the Gods fit into all of this -- I don't think the Inchoroi were relevant to the origins of the peoples of Earwa). We already know the Inchoroi were tooling around and manipulating humans in Eanna, but then we also know that all these seemingly mythical stories about Gods and their abilities ended up being pretty literal. Just look at what Yatwer can do. As with many -- practically all -- mysteries in the series, it could really go at least two ways, if not more. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:32:55 pm by Francis Buck »

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 04:04:27 am »
goddammit...  just wrote out a whole thing here and lost it all.   :-\  can't bring myself to rewrite it all.  did some ark sketches.  anyone have feedback, just for fun?  might do more if there's interest.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 04:08:11 pm »
goddammit...  just wrote out a whole thing here and lost it all.   :-\  can't bring myself to rewrite it all.  did some ark sketches.  anyone have feedback, just for fun?  might do more if there's interest.

Very nice. Love the idea of it looking like a living being.

Your art constantly makes me feel sad about how poor my imagination is, but of course you should make more, you are the (unofficially) official TSA artist after all. People are counting on you. ;)

Garet Jax

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 05:58:35 pm »
As usual Somnambulist, great stuff.

For some reason I am partial to the Squid rendering.  It would fit nicely with the Inchies having gills and the possibility that the Arc itself gave birth to the Inchoroi.

Keep it up!

Edit: Your "WTF" looks like a cobra.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:33:37 pm by Garet Jax »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:05:51 pm »
I like that Som,

Can you switch it to a purply red?

The whale with tails would look like a giant penis then in keeping with the Inchoroi theme of phallus worship.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 09:55:20 pm »
Yeah, blue is just the color I sketch in, but I get the joke.  I guess there's no escaping the giant flying penis analogies.  Maybe more like a monstrous sperm fertilizing a world-egg.

Francis Buck

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 02:57:04 am »
Awesome stuff Somm. I personally would  go with a mix between the cruiser and the squid. It should definitely look somewhat like a living thing, but I do like the front area of the cruiser a lot.

It would fit nicely with the Inchies having gills and the possibility that the Arc itself gave birth to the Inchoroi.

Wait, the Inchoroi had gills? I've never heard/noticed this before. Not trying to discredit you or anything, I'm just really curious because I've never heard this before. Do you happen to remember where and what book this is mentioned?

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 03:11:33 am »
Don't remember that either, but their description does remind me of fish a bit - what with the transuclent grey skin and all.

I kind of imagined the ark as having a larger, perhaps more bulbous main section.  Space faring vessels do not require aerodynamics in my mind. :D
That said, all of those concept sketches are awesome.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 03:35:22 am »
Thanks guys.  The gill comment was from The False Sun, I believe.  The inchie's description mentioned "the fluting of gill tissue" on its neck.

FB, which one is the cruiser?  The Cricket?  I'll work up some more sketches based on all your comments.  Except for the purple penis maybe.   ;)

Francis Buck

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 06:49:26 pm »
Thanks guys.  The gill comment was from The False Sun, I believe.  The inchie's description mentioned "the fluting of gill tissue" on its neck.

FB, which one is the cruiser?  The Cricket?  I'll work up some more sketches based on all your comments.  Except for the purple penis maybe.   ;)

Ah yeah, the Cricket is what I meant, just misread the title there. Either way that one looks a bit more "space-shipey" to me, which I think is good (but again, an organic element definitely feel like a necessary presence in some fashion, and given what we know of the ship, a squid -- or other aquatic creature -- makes too much sense not to include).

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 06:08:06 pm »
They had gills, I think its mentioned more than once, TFS and TTT glossary maybe.

The first one makes me think of Zerg, but any giant space faring living thing does.

I like 2 the best, 3 the least. Less streamlined is a fair point. It is in space, after all. However, it did end up almost entirely buried so maybe it was pointy.

Thanks for the sperm - egg analogy. Very fitting.

Great stuff as always Som.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 04:09:18 am »
It was a many-chambered mountain, wrought in a gold-gleaming metal that could not be scored, let alone broken. A city rolled into the warped planes of some misbegotten fish. A ruin that the world could not stomach, that the ages could not digest.

More fish analogies.

"There are some," Achamian whispered, "who argue that the entire Ark is a thing of bone, that vein and skin once pulsed across these walls."
"You mean the Ark once lived?"
Achamian nodded, even as he swallowed for dread. "The Inchoroi called themselves Children of the Ark. The most ancient Nonmen lays refer to them as the Orphans."
"So this thing... this place... mothered them?"
Seswatha smiled. "Or fathered... The fact is, we haven't the words for such things. Even if we could pierce the shroud of millennia, I fear this place would remain beyond our understanding."
"But I understand full well," the young Prince said. "You're saying that Golgotterath is a dead womb."

Perhaps zombie green/blue/grey flesh-tones with golden spines?