• 24 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 03:41:10 pm »
I read the review, and I believe my downvote was permissible as I thought it didn't provide a fair and/or useful description of the book. After all, what would be the point of the downvote if not for that very reason?

no, there's plenty of negative reviews of his books I don't care about, that particular review was pretty egregiously poor, especially to be so highly rated and on the first page of the book.

I agree with this statement, and am a bit insulted that you (Kellais) think I just went in there guns blazing and blindly started downvoting.

Makes me think that this person started the series with TJE... Which is absurd and insane. Who starts a series in the middle, and then gets upset that they don't like it?
And THIS makes me think you did  not read the review :P ;D

Yeah he said he read PON, I was suggesting that he lied about it. Not really sure how you could read PoN and then find TJE long/slow/etc.

Separating any of my personal actions from "fanboyism" is really impossible. I am a fan, a fanatic even, and the line of  "fanboy" is blurry at best, so for someone who is in fact a known fan, any uncharitable reading of an action I take could be considered as such. Its an easy argument to make, and I can't show you any kind of proof that its not, so its up to you if you want to define it as such.

I tend to think I'm a reasonable person, and I feel no guilt at all about my downvote (though I do obviously feel the need to defend it :P). If you thought the review was good, go ahead and upvote, thats why both options are there.

And just to be clear - i know that, most probably, lots of people use those buttons for exactly that. I just think this use of it is dishonest and manipulative. This is why those things are useless on amazon. Which is a shame. Because the idea is a sound one.
It's just that i kind of have higher expectations of the people on this forum.
So do I. Maybe this is why I didn't explicitly lay out all my thoughts on the subject.... Though I'll say that I'm glad you felt the need to call out bullshit when you saw it.

Anyway, Bakker would certainly despise the idea of the in-crowd mentality you're talking about. My "negative propaganda" comment was a joke, but I can see why it wouldn't come across like that (should have used the winky face ;)). I chose to downvote based on the content AND quality of the review, not just because it was negative. There are negative reviews on that site that have complaints that I can understand, and so I left them alone.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 05:17:26 pm »
Hey Wilshire, thanks for taking the time.

First of all, i was not trying to point my posts at you...so i am sorry you feel insulted. Although to be honest, after our little talk in the quorum (the one about looking critically at Scott's book etc), i wasn't sure you would not do what i talked about in the posts... ;) On the other hand, if you feel the need to defend, maybe you know i hit some little truths there ;D
About fanboy-ism...there is some truth in what you say. But again, my comments were not directly pointed at you but i talked in a more general way about these kind of things. If you feel no guilt and think you downvoted without the things i mentioned then you did not vote fanboy-ishly per my definition ;)

Be that as it may, i once again have to say that it is only on this forum that i think we can have this discussion so civily...on many another forum i frequent i am sure i would have already been flame-war-ed to death after my posts. And i am glad that you chose to explain your reasoning in here instead of calling me names, Wilshire (not that i would have expected you to call me names...just so we are clear...not that you feel insulted again ;) ;D ).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:22:31 pm by Kellais »
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 11:20:33 pm »
This reminds me of a certain person who reviewed The Unholy Consult and gave it 5/5 stars over a year ago.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 12:44:26 am »
Well it was released july 2012 or 13 so that seems reasonable.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 02:48:29 am »
Lol, it's only fiction.
Down-voting/up-voting because you don't or do agree is just how the internet works.
I will sometimes down-vote reviews of fiction books if I disagree with the reviewer.  Calling people fan-boys is just what one cries when their unpopular opinion gets down-voted.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:55:50 am by Cüréthañ »
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 07:11:54 pm »
I guess it depends on if you think reviews are important?

Well, to some extent I believe that they are quite important. Personally I almost never read reviews that are rated in any way. Psychologically, ratings can cloud my judgement. I prefer an objective review, where the ideas the author tries to entertain are laid out without judgement. That is (to me) the most interesting and quite frankly the only aspect of a review I need to know about. If I like the ideas the author presents, then that is all I need to know. Everything else is secondary, and what I really do not need to know about is the subjective opinions of some guys/girls on the internet, who either gives it thumb up or down.

So in other words I do not take these kinds of reviews seriously, other than the need to get rid of silly "reviews" that states that TJE is tedious, which to anyone who has his attention in the right place while reading, will say is a meaningless and pointless statement.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 05:29:25 am »

Weird, I was sure it was published in the year 2025...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 12:49:42 pm »
This reminds me of a certain person who reviewed The Unholy Consult and gave it 5/5 stars over a year ago.

Was that me?

Weird, I was sure it was published in the year 2025...

All this reminds me of is: In The Year 2525
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile