Moe leaving Ishual

• 6 Replies

Gorgorotterath

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: June 26, 2016, 06:45:01 pm »
Why did Moenghus leave Isual in the first instance? The Sranc motivation he told to Cnaiur is a lie, unless there is something I cannot fathom in the darkness behind me....

Cû'jara-Cinmoi

• Momurai
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:00:53 pm »
Isolation from external causes is the key to the original Dunyain mission. Allowing Moenghus back in would have been tantamount to allowing every he had experienced back in.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:23:28 pm »
Isolation from external causes is the key to the original Dunyain mission. Allowing Moenghus back in would have been tantamount to allowing every he had experienced back in.

I never doubted this.  However, I have, at times, doubted the wisdom of allowing a Dunyain to exist in the wild, from their perspective.

It's hard to imagine them not considering the risks in allowing someone with knowledge of Ishual's location to simply walk out.  Why didn't they force him into the Thousand-Thousand Halls, like the Pragma did when he polluted them in turn?  I've come up with some conspiracy theories on this, because it seems somewhat unfathomable that they didn't consider the risk in allowing him to leave.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Cû'jara-Cinmoi

• Momurai
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 07:12:19 pm »
They had no difficulty killing themselves afterward, and he was their better, so why assume he would have difficulty?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 07:14:33 pm »
They had no difficulty killing themselves afterward, and he was their better, so why assume he would have difficulty?

Ah, so Papa Moe was broken by his days in the wilderness as well? A Dunyain would have killed himself.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 07:32:38 pm »

Interesting.  I was thinking less in terms of difficulty and more in terms of risk.  If he kills himself, there is zero risk.  If he walks out, there is some percent higher than zero though (if he was captured and tortured, or something similar).

But that seems irrelevant if Moe was something of a prodigy himself.  That makes sense.  So, since he was their better, they really had no way to make him kill himself?  That kind of feeds one of my conspiracy theories actually...that Moe's journey and Kellhus' was remarkably similar, not just in where they walked, but who they met...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 12:13:15 am »
Yeah, I wonder about that, H. Assuming Dunyain do scout for sranc build up, it's not just that he walked around a bit and then was contaminated. And maybe he staged the exact same meet up for Kellhus.

Maybe that's what the 'you remind me of one...*rummages for face on cloak*' was about when really he was thinking of Moe and just thought it must be a face on his cloak.