• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« on: March 14, 2017, 03:49:59 pm »
The bad news and the good

THE BAD NEWS - Two problems with TUC: 1) there are questions answered, 2) there are questions unanswered.  As for the first, I don’t know about you, but in the 5 years between WLW and TGO, my mind filled with 1,001 pet theories to explain the unexplainable Earwa.  Bakker is so good at creating the impression that every stone is impregnated with bundled meaning, that anything seemed possible.  When I did get the answer, I felt all the other possibilities turn to smoke.  A strange feeling.

That there are questions still unanswered, what can I say?  TUC reveals a lot, but not all.

THE GOOD NEWS - That mysteries remain means we can look forward to plenty more Earwa.  However, there are a few super duper things about TUC in particular that I want to share:

1) Bakker cares.  When I read a book, I have a feeling for what parts the author agonized over.  Some sentences like “Bob shot Dubby" are obviously low effort on the author’s part.  Word for word, sentence for sentence, Bakker lets the reader know that he has crafted this thing jot and tittle.  That means a lot to me.  More than all of the previous Earwa books, this one is exquisite in the minutiae.  AND THAT’S JUST THE MANUSCRIPT! 

2) Bakker has done some super subtle foreshadowing going all the way back to the PON books.  I would like to hint about that, but it’s just too wonderful.  Once you finish TUC, you’ll def want to start the whole journey over.  I know that you know Bakker did this, but the way he did it was surprising and unlooked for.  There are parts of the previous 6 books that foreshadow events in TUC that do not seem to be foreshadowing moments or seem to foreshadow something else entirely.

3) IMO, Bakker hits the perfect balance of narrative and philosophy—better than the other books.

4) Action!  This thing is tense through and through and ends with rush upon rush of page-turning action. 

I really enjoyed TUC!  I think you will too!  I’ll be putting some of this stuff in the forthcoming book review. :)

Lastly, if you can only squeeze one reread in before now and July, reread TTT :)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:49:16 pm »
Lastly, if you can only squeeze one reread in before now and July, reread TTT :)

Cryptic, cryptic MG, haha.

TTT is my favorite though, so maybe I'll take your advice, even though I wasn't planning on a reread.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:28:53 pm »
Thanks for these enticing morsels, MG!
Mystery denotes darkness

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:57:19 pm »

Cryptic, cryptic MG, haha.

TTT is my favorite though, so maybe I'll take your advice, even though I wasn't planning on a reread.

I'm glad!
Thanks for these enticing morsels, MG!

Np!  I forgot to add that TUC absolutely has some of those hum-dinger conversations that make the previous books so fun.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:28:03 pm »
TTT, hmmmm. Very interesting.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 12:51:44 pm »

2) Bakker has done some super subtle foreshadowing going all the way back to the PON books.  I would like to hint about that, but it’s just too wonderful.  Once you finish TUC, you’ll def want to start the whole journey over.  I know that you know Bakker did this, but the way he did it was surprising and unlooked for.  There are parts of the previous 6 books that foreshadow events in TUC that do not seem to be foreshadowing moments or seem to foreshadow something else entirely.

By the by, I think foreshadowing and subtle foreshadowing in particular (Little, Big - anyone?) - is one of the most integral and enjoyable essentials of storytelling. Therefore, this makes me glad.

And, uhm, when can we expect an excerpt...?

Mystery denotes darkness

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 01:49:19 pm »
Never expect one. If one is afforded to us, rejoice.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 07:47:57 pm »
Never expect one. If one is afforded to us, rejoice.
Wilshire, Slayer of hype  :P
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 08:02:01 pm »
AH - REDEAGL - IS NOT HYPE INFINITE?

Alternatively, I would also accept:

Breaker-of-hype-and-dreams
One of the other conditions of possibility.