Science fiction recommendations

• 10 Replies

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« on: May 02, 2017, 03:32:52 pm »
Interested in reading more Science fiction,so I want some SF recs that are not Dune,Hyperion,Blindsight or Expanse.I already own or read those.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 04:00:11 pm »
Interested in reading more Science fiction,so I want some SF recs that are not Dune,Hyperion,Blindsight or Expanse.I already own or read those.

GREAT TASTE IN SCIFI!

I REALLY LIKE FOREVER WAR BY JOE HALDEMAN. 

I REALLY LIKE THE RED RISING TRILOGY.  FOR DUNE FANS, THERE IS A LOT TO LIKE.  IT ISN'T DUNE.  IT HAS A BIT OF THE 'HUNGER GAMES' FEEL IN THE FIRST BOOK, BUT THEN IT IS SPACE OPERA WITH SOME OF THE BETTER GRRM DRAMA.

- THIRTEEN BY MORGAN
- AGENT TO THE STARS BY SCALZI (COMEDY)
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (FOR THE LANGUAGE--MUST READ BOOK, MOVIE LEAVES OUT THE ENDING)
- THE FIRST FIFTEEN LIVES OF HARRY AUGUST (WHAT IF YOU COULD LIVE YOU LIFE MANY TIMES, TRYING IT OUT DIFFERENTLY EACH TIME, WHAT IF A FEW OTHER PEOPLE COULD DO THAT TOO? A BIT SLOW BUT GREAT FOR THE 'HUMAN' STUFF)
- THE MARTIAN - A WHOLE BOOK ABOUT DIY PROBLEM SOLVING IN SPACE
- THE SPARROW - CATHOLICS TRY TO CONVERT ALIENS, IS NOT COMEDY, A BIT SLOW
- A CANTICLE FOR LEIBOWITZ - THE FUTURE IS INCREASINGLY STRANGE AND YET STILL SO HUMAN
- CAT'S CRADLE - VONNEGUT, ICE-9
-THE STONE MAN - TERROR, INEVITABLE, UNSTOPPABLE TERROR
- THE NEVER HERO - EAT PROTEIN, LIFT WEIGHTS, FIGHT MONSTERS
- THE ROAD - AFTER NUKES, CORMAC MCCARTHY
- THE SOUTHERN REACH TRILOGY - VANDEERMER, STRANGE AND TERRIFIYING ENTITIES
- READY PLAYER ONE - SEE IT B4 THE MOVIE COMES OUT
- THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS - ZOMBIES WITH A TWIST
- SPHERE - CRICHTON CLASSIC--IMAGINATION AND REALITY BLUR AND ALIENS
- FUTURISTIC VIOLENCE AND FANCY SUITS - BY THE GUY WHO DID JOHN DIES AT THE END
- ANGELMAKER - SENTENCE ORGASMS
- TIMEQUAKE - MORE VONNEGUT

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 04:11:33 pm »
I 2nd the Red Rising trilogy. Pretty good stuff, that is.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 04:25:00 pm »

THE AUDIOBOOKS GOT A GREAT READER WITH AN AMAZING ACCENT!  HEY HEY--THE DINNER SCENE IN BOOK 2? OMG THAT WAS NICE

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 04:36:16 pm »
I've never did a audio book, not my thing.

Yea, it was. But, we have one of those moments several times throughout the series. But, yes, brutal.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 05:03:07 pm »

THE AUDIOBOOKS GOT A GREAT READER WITH AN AMAZING ACCENT!  HEY HEY--THE DINNER SCENE IN BOOK 2? OMG THAT WAS NICE

Also, I'm reading The Expanse, though I stopped at Cibola Burns to start my TSA reread. But, to get to the point, Red Rising is just as good, if not better than anything I've read in TE so far. You concur, MG?

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 05:08:05 pm »
Anyone interested in sci-fi should read The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. Then finish the trilogy (The Dark Forest, Death's End). An original (and somewhat corrective) perspective on first-contact issues. Mind-blowing physics speculation.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile

Fenris777

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 05:22:30 pm »
The first thing that came to mind is A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge. Great novel. Actually, I'm lying, the first thing that came to mind was the Expanse series, but then I read further. I also really enjoyed Jim Butcher's newest steampunk novel - The Aeronaut's Windlass.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 05:39:25 pm »
Anything on this list is a good place to start:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_joint_winners_of_the_Hugo_and_Nebula_awards

Sort of the building blocks of Scifi, and covers the classics like Dune (missing Asimov's Foundation though).
Any "top 100 list of best sci-fi" whatever will lead you to about the same 90ish books. If you are looking for something more recent though, asking here is probably a decent bet.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 01:22:54 pm »
The Gap series, by Stephen R. Donaldson

;D
Mystery denotes darkness