• 71 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 06:17:33 pm »
We can only hope that Mimara will gaze upon Meppa eventually.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 07:44:38 pm »
We can only hope that Mimara will gaze upon Meppa eventually.

Indeed, that would be amazing.  Although I've no idea how it would happen given the current distance between them.  Still holding out hope that Akka and Mim will come across a Nonmen chariot at some point...

Considering the question of who is damned, Bakker once suggested that "whole countries will be damned" under the current system.  So it could be that the followers of the Solitary God have in fact found a method for bypassing the cycle of damnation.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 08:15:00 pm »
A quote from the Ishual chapter was brought to my attention. Its Akka talking about what happens when trapping a soul, explaining Shae's predicament to Mimara.

The intricacies of identity are always sheared away. Memory. Faculty. Character. These are cast into the pit.

When I read that, all I could think of is that sounds like a description of Meppa to a T. I know that I really want Meppa to be a product of what went down with Moe in Kyudea, that aside, it still sounds like the wondering Cish.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 01:22:11 pm »
All of the threads are honouring the Niom apart from Kellhus.

Esmenet- Kel/Thelli and esme.

Ishual. Koringus/Mimara Akka.

Ishterbenith - the original Niom trio.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2016, 04:24:46 pm »
All of the threads are honouring the Niom apart from Kellhus.

Esmenet- Kel/Thelli and esme.

Ishual. Koringus/Mimara Akka.

Ishterbenith - the original Niom trio.
Interesting catch. What is the Niom again, two children and an enemy?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2016, 04:29:46 pm »
son/daughter and enemy.

Tanhafut

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2016, 09:37:32 am »
Looks like Kelmomas will be getting away with his mischief for a while yet.  I'd been slightly miffed that Inrilatas and Maithanet both died without managing to expose him in any real way.  But I must admit, the scene in the prologue, where he has orchestrated the exact moment he's found, asleep in mommy's throne, was a great touch.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 01:10:00 pm »
Yeah be interesting to see how the voice guides him now. If the gods empower him in some way, although not sure i'm looking forward to the details of what the wee psycho is going to do.

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2016, 10:25:59 pm »
Just read these two chapters, some really great material here. My hear breaks for Proyas, though it's good to be reminded he's a consummate fanatic at the same time.

I keep coming back to the bizarre passage with the head on the pole, curious stuff. Given that I'm reading TDTCB again at the moment, it immediately reminded me of the chapter where Inrau goes to the temple of Onkis, whose effigy is first described as being the head of a woman on a pole. This pole is ultimately revealed to be the likeness of a tree, but it's a striking image nonetheless.

Onkis is described as the singer in the dark, who "stood at the heart of all men, moving them to grasp far more than they could hold", which to me seems sort of like what Kellhus is doing with Proyas here, pushing him beyond his limits.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2016, 01:01:10 am »
I didn't remember that description with the head on the pole. Although it could be relevant as Inaru is asking Onkis for help and "hears" run, just before he stumbles onto the consult.

So that scene already had some foreshadowed the gods. It could well be pointing even further into the series as well. Sounds like a good catch, will check it out. :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2016, 01:06:45 am »
Just read these two chapters, some really great material here. My hear breaks for Proyas, though it's good to be reminded he's a consummate fanatic at the same time.

I actually really enjoy Proyas' journey over books. I feel like it's underrated.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Darzin

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2016, 03:50:18 am »
I feel the characterization of Proyas and Serwe are both underrated they are so different from us, which is why writing them convincingly is no mean feat.
There is no god but God and Fane is the messenger of God

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2016, 01:45:46 pm »
There's a bias in there somewhere ;). The more disparate a person's worldview, the easier it is to disparage them?

Not on your part, I just mean, some sense suggests that that idea encapsulates what you see on say, Westeros.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2016, 09:53:30 pm »

I actually really enjoy Proyas' journey over books. I feel like it's underrated.
Agreed completely. I'd say it goes under the radar because it's more understated, but he's gone through real changes despite still being a believer to the core. Though I suppose anything seems understated compared to the bugfuck insanity of Cnaiur's arc.
As to the point about the alien worldview I wholeheartedly agree! It's rare that an author can convincingly portray a medieval fanatic mindset I think.

Darzin,
I'm not so sure about Serwe's characterization, it seems to me a big part of it is that her arc is so repetitive and ultimately just ends without any real change to her. Maybe re-reading the Warrior Prophet will change my mind.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2016, 02:56:38 am »
Akka and Proyas need to meet up again. Akka needs to stare at Proyas while Proyas looks sheepish and says "don't say it I know you've been telling me all this time and i never fucking listen"