[TGO SPOILERS] Prologue + Chapter 1 excerpt

• 71 Replies

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2016, 11:22:26 am »
A poster at Westeros:R'hllors Red Lobster has started a re-read and they noticed the passage below. Which Onrack notes above(maybe the same person), just going to reproduce it below as it is really is interesting.

Just started my first re-read of the series, and just came across this passage; Inrau visiting the shrine of Onkis

The idol was worked in white marble, eyes closed with the sunken look of the dead. At first glance she appeared to be the severed head of a woman, beautiful yet vaguely common, mounted on a pole. Anything more than a glance, however, revealed the pole to be a miniature tree, like those cultivated by the ancient  Norsirai. [...]

Her image never failed to stir something within him, and this is why he always returned to her; she was stirring, the dark place where the flurries of his thoughts arose. She came before him.

(Bolding mine)

I still think there is something more to the "Outside" scene, wondering if this may have any significance.

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2016, 05:34:40 am »
It's not me! What a weird coincidence if it is one, they're even doing their first re-read too! It really is very interesting, perhaps something related to how one can achieve godhood? Could also be a metaphor illustrating that physical form is irrelevant in the Outside.

Having read the rest of the Westeros, I'm disappointed to find out that most people already seem to have procured a copy and are discussing it already. Would be nice to be able to speculate along, oh well. I'm sure there'll still be a ton to discuss when I get mine in July, there always is with these books.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:38:37 am by Onrack »

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2016, 05:50:30 am »
It's not me! What a weird coincidence if it is one, they're even doing their first re-read too! It really is very interesting, perhaps something related to how one can achieve godhood? Could also be a metaphor illustrating that physical form is irrelevant in the Outside.

Having read the rest of the Westeros, I'm disappointed to find out that most people already seem to have procured a copy and are discussing it already. Would be nice to be able to speculate along, oh well. I'm sure there'll still be a ton to discuss when I get mine in July, there always is with these books.

Nice!! It's an amazing catch from you both, I read it here first. Then on westeros they put the text in, so i came back to add the text.

Inranu(sp?) also hears "run" as a thought from Onkis when he prays what to do, he doesn't listen and bumps into the consult. It's pretty cool, cause after TJE/WLW you go back and read it, and catch Onkis saying run, now you go back after the excerpts and you catch the head on the pole. I imagine it will be replicated throughout the book, pretty impressive.

Some of us haven't read the ARC (3 last count but will drop more) so you'll have more folk to discuss it with here. I'm glad more folk have appeared i was worrying i'd have to get my real time discussions on the book over at Westeros. However folk have read the book over there as well, and haven't withdrawn, i saw someone complaining about spoilers , which turned out to be someone trolling or something to get attention.

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 05:56:31 am »
Was that definitely Onkis saying run? I thought that was just Inrau's own mind, but I suppose given the intervention of the gods in later books it makes sense. I'm definitely on the lookout for similar head on poll imagery now, that's for sure.

And oh good, I'm not entirely alone! I saw the talk of spoilers over there, will most certainly be avoiding those threads till I get a copy. I assume the secret forum will be re-integrated into the forum later? Would be nice to be able to read those posts eventually.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2016, 06:44:31 am »
Was that definitely Onkis saying run? I thought that was just Inrau's own mind, but I suppose given the intervention of the gods in later books it makes sense. I'm definitely on the lookout for similar head on poll imagery now, that's for sure.

And oh good, I'm not entirely alone! I saw the talk of spoilers over there, will most certainly be avoiding those threads till I get a copy. I assume the secret forum will be re-integrated into the forum later? Would be nice to be able to read those posts eventually.

No idea, however he is praying for guidance and "hears" run. Doesn't run, meets the consult and dies. So in the context that he gods exist and Inranu being a "good" person, it isn't beyond the possibility that the god was trying to give timely advice. Also Inranu "speaks" to Akka in a dream (after he dies) where Akka dreams that he is warning him about the consult being hidden. Which is true.

Madness will decide what to do with the forum. they'll probably open it up. I'll get my book about 2 days after everyone else as it's being shipped to Europe so will have to disappear for a couple of days. Everyone else will have came back by then though so will be busier.

Judging by the information in the excerpts, it'll take a few months to get through everything anyway.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2016, 01:53:11 pm »

My thought is to simply lock it all up and people can read the threads. Some of the ARC readers that I've communed with think that we should open it up and let people post (but if I was going to do that, I'd probably just move those threads to TGO subforum).

We'll see.

I think many of us still doubt the existence of the published artifact, because we've been strung out so long. And it's even worse that those depending on order from UK might be waiting up until September for the paperback...

I'll note again - though, there will be a stickied thread somewhere - when the book is available for purchase and TGO subforum will be a place to avoid... damnit, Quorum is probably not coming back until September :(.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 03:52:31 pm »
Wait, September? I'm in Ireland, so I'll be counting on the UK as well. That is quite a bummer. I see the hardcover listed for early July on amazon, but it also says it's unavailable...I thought Orbit were better than Overlook at getting stuff out.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2016, 07:26:28 pm »
Looks like you're stuck with buying Overlook editions from amazon.com if you want it in July, otherwise you're going to have to wait for Orbit editions in September.

... damnit, Quorum is probably not coming back until September :(.
It'll force people to talk in threads, maybe. Not such a bad thing.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:28:09 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2016, 04:34:16 pm »
My thought is to simply lock it all up and people can read the threads. Some of the ARC readers that I've communed with think that we should open it up and let people post (but if I was going to do that, I'd probably just move those threads to TGO subforum).

Would you give someone access if they don't mind spoilers, won't talk about it, and probably won't read the book? It's cool if you say no, of course.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2016, 04:40:17 pm »
IMO, the books are going to be out in a few weeks and that subforum will be made public.

So, my vote would be a soft 'no'. However, it doesn't do me any harm to give you access, so I don't really care much either way.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:32:57 pm by Wilshire »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2016, 06:28:26 pm »

Would you give someone access if they don't mind spoilers, won't talk about it, and probably won't read the book? It's cool if you say no, of course.

No Peekers on the Slog! Lol.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2016, 06:28:48 pm »
Was that definitely Onkis saying run? I thought that was just Inrau's own mind,
That is what Onkis is. Yearning, inspiration, etc.

I have two thoughts on the head-on-a-pole

1. Kellhus is, as much as this has any meaning in the outside, in the precincts of Onkis. The Sons are hers. This is her conceptual corner of the Outside.

2. Onkis is aiding Kellhus. Keeping him fixed. Even if it's possibly to her detriment...when her whole sphere is inspiration and impossible desire, overreaching...how can she do anything else but try to spur on the Thousandfold Thought? It's her nature.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2016, 08:09:53 pm »
Onrack have you read False Sun, Onkis is referenced in there it can be read here.

https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/stories/

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2016, 01:15:00 am »
I've been meaning to get around to that but I'd forgotten, thanks themerchant. Will read it soon.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2016, 04:31:09 pm »
Was that definitely Onkis saying run? I thought that was just Inrau's own mind,
That is what Onkis is. Yearning, inspiration, etc.

I have two thoughts on the head-on-a-pole

1. Kellhus is, as much as this has any meaning in the outside, in the precincts of Onkis. The Sons are hers. This is her conceptual corner of the Outside.

2. Onkis is aiding Kellhus. Keeping him fixed. Even if it's possibly to her detriment...when her whole sphere is inspiration and impossible desire, overreaching...how can she do anything else but try to spur on the Thousandfold Thought? It's her nature.
Analogues to Onkis the head on a pole seem strong. I like this thought - though if Onkis really is helping Kellhus to her detriment. I wonder, is she compelled to do this because that is her nature?