DUNE movie cast revealed

• 39 Replies

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 12:10:45 pm »
Themerchant's right. Who needs a Dune movie? They already made a great adaptation anyway. It's this movie called "Star Wars". It gets rid of all the boring political bullshit and character drama, and also cuts out 90% of the worldbuilding -- and let's be honest, if there's one thing about Dune that just about everybody can agree on, it's how fucking shitty the worldbuilding is, am I right?

Built a big straw-man there.

Just read the book. No need for the movie. It's tautology.

I've only seen the original star wars, the phantom menace then some of the other 2. No idea how many new ones there are now. The Phatom menace came out when i was in my 20's.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 12:12:58 pm »
Quote from:  TLEILAXU
I've already read the book ya cunt.

Clearly....no f$&*"s given....

He's just talking to me in Scottish lol

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 09:58:42 pm »
Quote from:  themerchant
He's just talking to me in Scottish lol

Lol, I see now.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 03:00:58 pm »
/*** Full Disclosure: the following diatribe is intended for entertainment purposes only. Any read into insults are intended to be enjoyed and not at anyone's expense. I have great love and respect for all on this forum and disparaging remarks are for humor only and do not reflect my real feelings of love for my fellow peeps on this forum. With great respect, TH ***/

I'm with TL - fuck the book(s), we want a movie! Nobody's "worrying" about it, fucker. We're enjoying "talking" about it, wondering if it'll be any good - talking it up! But yeah, shit on other people having fun, I get it - the mark of superior intelligence. I've read the books ( except the last one - and IMHO, God Emperor was the best one up to Heretics ), having a movie about them is not tautology. Indeed, if we made a show about PON, it might provide some clarity for readers on the story. Love it or hate it, drama/plays are fun to watch ( er, for most of us ).
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 04:00:21 pm »
/*** Full Disclosure: the following diatribe is intended for entertainment purposes only. Any read into insults are intended to be enjoyed and not at anyone's expense. I have great love and respect for all on this forum and disparaging remarks are for humor only and do not reflect my real feelings of love for my fellow peeps on this forum. With great respect, TH ***/

I'm with TL - fuck the book(s), we want a movie! Nobody's "worrying" about it, fucker. We're enjoying "talking" about it, wondering if it'll be any good - talking it up! But yeah, shit on other people having fun, I get it - the mark of superior intelligence. I've read the books ( except the last one - and IMHO, God Emperor was the best one up to Heretics ), having a movie about them is not tautology. Indeed, if we made a show about PON, it might provide some clarity for readers on the story. Love it or hate it, drama/plays are fun to watch ( er, for most of us ).

I was expecting a lot better considering the note at the start.

Movies are for folk who must be shown and cannot just be told.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 04:25:49 pm »

I'm still squeamish from the "talking to" I received from Madness, some bullshit about "you'all aren't my real friends, can't treat us as your real friends, be nice or we'll kick you out" ... so, yeah, though the above may be weak, it's still in the danger zone. I should start a forum/blog/whatever for PON discussion where the only requirement is everyone must speak in Horror - Thar's no snowflakes on the Slog!

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 06:45:25 pm »

I'm still squeamish from the "talking to" I received from Madness, some bullshit about "you'all aren't my real friends, can't treat us as your real friends, be nice or we'll kick you out" ... so, yeah, though the above may be weak, it's still in the danger zone. I should start a forum/blog/whatever for PON discussion where the only requirement is everyone must speak in Horror - Thar's no snowflakes on the Slog!

Fair enough. Getting called a cunt in conversation probably doesn't translate too well outside Scotland.

If you see someone going in hard on me (like me and MSJ joking that time) it's normally us joking about how Scots use insults as terms of endearment.

At least thats how i took TL maybe he was just calling me a cunt lol

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 07:01:37 pm »
I think you guys better all calm down now lest we all get the 'talk' from Madness.

Also, say you like kebab. You can buy kebabs and enjoy them, put chili sauce on them like normal human beings etc., but you can also get pizza with kebab. Another medium to enjoy it.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 07:20:15 pm »
I think you guys better all calm down now lest we all get the 'talk' from Madness.

Also, say you like kebab. You can buy kebabs and enjoy them, put chili sauce on them like normal human beings etc., but you can also get pizza with kebab. Another medium to enjoy it.

yeah kebab on pitta bread or kebab on pizza bread.

Such diversity. ;) would sir like his bread leavened or unleavened.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:23:40 pm by themerchant »

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 01:42:19 am »
So getting back on topic, what are people hoping for in terms of the visual style for the world? I know the director has stated they're spending a long time in pre-production specifically to create a distinct aesthetic for the movies and would ideally become as indistinguishable from Dune as the worlds of Star Wars or Lord of the Rings are in terms of adaptation.

Personally, I know that the artwork of Bungie in the Destiny franchise has definitely scratched the "Dune-feel" itch for me on numerous occasions, from armor to weaponry to technology, a lot of the designs just nail that old-but-new, science-fantasy look better than just about anyone.

I also would not at all mind them drawing liberally from the cooler aspects of David Lynch's Fincher's adaptation, and, of course, the remain Jodorowsky material. It would be a fool's error not to take advantage of that psychedelic whirlwind of creativity.

ETA: David Lynch, not Fincher.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:30:53 am by Francis Buck »

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 06:04:42 pm »
So getting back on topic, what are people hoping for in terms of the visual style for the world? I know the director has stated they're spending a long time in pre-production specifically to create a distinct aesthetic for the movies and would ideally become as indistinguishable from Dune as the worlds of Star Wars or Lord of the Rings are in terms of adaptation.

Personally, I know that the artwork of Bungie in the Destiny franchise has definitely scratched the "Dune-feel" itch for me on numerous occasions, from armor to weaponry to technology, a lot of the designs just nail that old-but-new, science-fantasy look better than just about anyone.

I also would not at all mind them drawing liberally from the cooler aspects of David Fincher's adaptation, and, of course, the remain Jodorowsky material. It would be a fool's error not to take advantage of that psychedelic whirlwind of creativity.
It was David Lynch you scrub, and I agree. Even some of its innovations are cool and feel in place in Dune, such as the Guild Navigator + associates design. Honestly, just making it like the Lynch version with 2049 technology and without some of the stupid innovations such as the 'voice weapon' and the Baron having a bad case of full body herpes it'd already be a pretty great movie.
Jodorowsky's Dune overall sounds fucking terrible, but there were some cool ideas like e.g. in this pic https://imgur.com/gallery/dAnut I like the design of the Harkonnens as androgynous flamboyant nobility.

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2019, 02:29:48 am »
Surprised at my slip of the tongue there with Lynch, and yeah I basically agree with everything you are saying. The guild navigator design is genuinely better (or at least, more interesting) than the book one is, and a lot of the original Dune movie's look could be "2049-ified" to look awesome with modern tech and sensibilities.

And yeah, I don't think Jodorowsky's adaptation would have been a gooo Dune movie, but it probably would have been a good-if-not-amazing movie on its own (like the Starship Trooper's adaptation by Verhoeven...actually wouldn't mind getting a legit modern adaptation of the book).

Probably my biggest concern for the new movie is how much creative freedom Villeneuve has, ideally being near total control. I just don't want them to try and make a "family adventure blockbuster" out of it and dumb down all the subtlety and complex worldbuilding, however the fact that the movie is said to be both Dune and it's sequel gives me hope. Herbert originally planned them both together as the whole DUNE story (as they were released serially I believe in the beginning), and it actually does work better as a "complete" story -- albeit one in two parts -- then just the first book alone, and the direction the narrative in Dune Messiah ends up going, along with the content, are all good signs.

In fact pretty much everything about this movie's production from top-to-bottom thus far has been kinda perfect, enough so that it makes me more nervous than if it was just middling and had lesser expectations. It's so hard to put all the right pieces together to make any movie like this, much less Dune itself, that the likelihood of a "second chance" any time soon whatsoever is widly unlikely.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 01:55:32 am »
https://www.apnews.com/Business%20Wire/251b95df0d7745e2a2514d4c943724ac

November 2020 release date?!?! Fuck me, man - I can't wait that long! Sigh. So cool to see Javier Bardem will be in this thing, fucking love that guy.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 09:07:58 pm »
https://www.apnews.com/Business%20Wire/251b95df0d7745e2a2514d4c943724ac

November 2020 release date?!?! Fuck me, man - I can't wait that long! Sigh. So cool to see Javier Bardem will be in this thing, fucking love that guy.

Judging by that article it seems a lot of really competent folk working on the project from top to bottom.