Is there any interest for audiobooks?

• 6 Replies

robizeratul

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: August 24, 2016, 09:05:15 pm »
The first 3 books of the Second Apocalypse series where narrated by a guy named David de Vries. Honestly it was such an amazing narration...without it I doubt I would have enjoyed the series as much.

For whatever reason, Audilbe decided to change narrators for the second series...This was quite depressing honestly, the new guy isn't as good.

I am curious, are people here fans of the audiobooks ? Maybe we could do something, like a fundraiser/kickstarter to convince Audible to bring him again. This has happened a few times in the past when a narrator change came with backlash from fans. I don't have the numbers, however seeing as you have less than 100 hours, at 100$ a hour it would mean 10 000 $. That not astronomical when it comes to kickstarters. ALso ( the number may be more or less) the point stands that a show of support might be enough, we don't need the whole number to convince Audible. 

These are just ideas though...I for one would shell out a few dollars for this. Any thoughts?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 01:50:51 am »
I think you'll find split interest in that regard, robizeratul. Not everyone dislikes Orton's reading. And MG, our resident audiophile, is not often around right now.

I've never listened to either so I'm not a person who can weigh in.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Frail

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 07:17:10 pm »
I wrote a reply on Bakker's blog on this same subject.

The switch to a different narrator makes sense in that the characters age twenty years, and we have a whole new slew of characters and places. It feels right in my opinion. Also, his slow deliberate style fits Bakkers prose quite well. Don't start a kickstarter over something so trivial.

Besides, I don't think De Vries captured Achamian nor Kellhus characters until far into the first book. Kellhus is too naive and human, for instance... "I shall dwell in my fathers house." is narrated like... "I shall dwell in my fathers house!" Achamian on the other hand is played far too clumsily in the bar scene with Geshrunni. Both narrators are incredible overall though.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 09:02:47 pm »
By the way, someone uploaded PON and TSA audiobooks to Youtube...
Mystery denotes darkness

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 01:06:12 pm »
I hear Bakker checks this stuff fairly religiously. There's not much anyone can do about any of it - youtube, piratebay, etc.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 05:14:44 pm »
I hear Bakker checks this stuff fairly religiously. There's not much anyone can do about any of it - youtube, piratebay, etc.

Well, actually, youtube will take it down if you notify them.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Vegetables

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 11:50:06 pm »
I often prefer audiobooks as it is easier for me to listen while engaged in other priorities than to actually find the time to sit and read.

I felt the same I far preferred Devries over Orton. I feel that Orton can be weird and inconsistent in his pronunciation of certain names and words. Some of his pauses felt far too short or too long between some lines and paragraph breaks, this could however have been an editing error. Devries on the other hand sometimes reads dialogue in far different tone and cadence than I had imagined . I feel many lines I read with tones of defiance or wonder often came out sounding excessively whiney.

These small complaints a side they were both great  narrators. I never had to rewind due to not properly hearing a passage.