Video Game Thread! What are you playing?

• 138 Replies

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2019, 10:28:55 pm »
Died a lot in Slay the Spire...

I started Hollow Knight, haven't gotten too far. I played a similar game - Salt & Sanctuary but my mage ended up being way too OP - basically I was touring through game and killing nearly every non-boss w/ two spells...

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2019, 10:48:07 pm »

I started Hollow Knight, haven't gotten too far. I played a similar game - Salt & Sanctuary but my mage ended up being way too OP - basically I was touring through game and killing nearly every non-boss w/ two spells...
Fun fact, Salt&Sanctuary, as well as Hollow Knight, is often compared to Dark Souls in terms of many mechanics (and at least Hollow Knight is also narratively), and Dark Souls was made by the same studio as Sekiro.

And Slay the Spire is a deck building game with mechanics fairly similar - but deeper and more diverse - to some singleplayer modes of Hearthstone, like Dungeon Runs and Monster Hunt, for example. And Hearthstone I play almost daily (though not singleplayer, since it at its core is a multiplayer game, unlike Slay the Spire).

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2019, 01:19:04 am »

Fun fact, Salt&Sanctuary, as well as Hollow Knight, is often compared to Dark Souls in terms of many mechanics (and at least Hollow Knight is also narratively), and Dark Souls was made by the same studio as Sekiro.

And Slay the Spire is a deck building game with mechanics fairly similar - but deeper and more diverse - to some singleplayer modes of Hearthstone, like Dungeon Runs and Monster Hunt, for example. And Hearthstone I play almost daily (though not singleplayer, since it at its core is a multiplayer game, unlike Slay the Spire).

Oh yeah Salt and Sanctuary is definitively a Dark Souls homage, they don't try to hide it at all lol. Also I should've said it is a good game, I probably did too much grinding and underestimated the power curve for the mage.

I've actually thought about getting into one of the multiplayer deck games but the price point and time just seemed too much. Slay the Spire is a nice game for people like me who want to understand CCGs at their own pace. (I've played Magic:TG but sadly just can't make the meet ups anymore.)

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2019, 02:00:18 am »
Yeah, it probably depends on where you've been before Genichiro, but I've cleared the monks, gotten some idols in the Depths, and went almost to the Great Serpent Shrine, so it's likely around halfway for me.

I surmise you have no controller? Yeah, it's not super convenient to buy one for PC, but I did at some point, and so far it's been really good, even though it's low-grade (the triggers are definitely way to stiff, so can't recommend it, really):
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gamepads/f310-gamepad.html

And remapping helps for sure, I even remapped my controller for Hollow Knight (it has a horrible default scheme). But Sekiro feels really good as is.

By the way, Hollow Knight is an amazing game all around, and I really recommend it. It's easier than Sekiro, but might be harder if you wanna do late-game DLC content that was included as a challenge, basically.
Yee, no  ;) The game's huge, especially if you try to explore everything. And yeah, I mean I have an old xbox controller but keyboard and mouse is what I know best, although it's definitely harder to use for Sekiro than for Dark Souls 3.
I've heard good things about Hollow Knight but personally I just don't care 1 bit for platformers.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2019, 02:19:23 pm »
I've heard good things about Hollow Knight but personally I just don't care 1 bit for platformers.
Me too, but Hollow Knight is just that good.

Sekiro is really big (I roughly know how the game progresses and absolutely have seen all the zones and fights in them along with all the endings; I hate exploring and learning levels, I'm playing for combat), but at the same time it's faster to get through than DS3 in my opinion. Stealth really helps when you wanna clear levels, and its world design seems all around more compact.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2019, 03:12:52 pm »
I've actually thought about getting into one of the multiplayer deck games but the price point and time just seemed too much.
Oh yeah, the price of modern digital CCG is obnoxious, can't recommend any of them.

And normal non-digital competitive Magic is even worse, I hear.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2019, 12:16:06 am »
Borderlands 2: Lillith DLC. Will be playing Borderlands 3 shortly and that will be for months, I'm sure.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2020, 08:17:47 pm »
Unavowed: Great little point-click adventure game. Your character is a bit different than the usual - you were possessed and murdered a LOT of people. After the demon is exorcised the Unavowed offer you cover from being arrested in return for your services.

Unworthy: 2-D Dark Souls, very basic graphics. Boss battles are fun, currently fighting the Heir of Ambition aka a fucking archer bastard who was murking me on the daily until I put the game to the side to take a break.

Have a bunch more, I usually grab a lot of pixel art games on sale...

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2020, 09:39:12 pm »
Death Stranding. It makes no sense that I'm addicted to what is basically a walking/delivery simulator, but I'm fucking hooked.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2020, 02:41:26 pm »
Gemcraft Frostborn Wrath just came out. Its like installment 5 of the series, is a glorified browser Tower Defense game, but i've been playing its various iterations for 10+ years and I find the very amusing.

Slay the Spire - rogue-like/lite, turn based deck building game.

Oxygen Not Included - survival/colony management game, 2d, from the creators of Don't Starve Together. You get a little colony, try to keep your couple of folks alive and direct them to building a space ship. Oxygen, Food, Heat, material management, etc.

Tried Sniper Elite 4 since it was super on sale and I've been eyeing it for some time. Gameplay loop gets boring. Its either too much hand holding, or too much effort, depending on difficulty level, with not a middle ground that I'm satisfied with. Fun to sneak around and headshot folks from across the map though. Good for when you're in that kind of mood lol

Disgaea 5. Chibi dungeon crawler. I was hoping for a decent SRPG but its mostly about manipulating character stats rather than some kind of strategy. Which, to be fair, most SRPGs are that way but usually they hide it better. I gather that this is by design, and what the franchise is known for so... They delivered? I just didn't find it that entertaining.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 02:46:45 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2020, 06:41:23 am »
Unavowed: Great little point-click adventure game. Your character is a bit different than the usual - you were possessed and murdered a LOT of people. After the demon is exorcised the Unavowed offer you cover from being arrested in return for your services.

Unworthy: 2-D Dark Souls, very basic graphics. Boss battles are fun, currently fighting the Heir of Ambition aka a fucking archer bastard who was murking me on the daily until I put the game to the side to take a break.

Beat Unavowed. Fun game, puzzles aren't too hard. Really liked the story.

Killed that archer boss in Unworthy, here's a link to what I was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUwUv758dM&feature=youtu.be&a=

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2020, 11:21:36 pm »

Beat Unavowed. Fun game, puzzles aren't too hard. Really liked the story.

Killed that archer boss in Unworthy, here's a link to what I was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUwUv758dM&feature=youtu.be&a=

Gotten further in Unworthy. Game definitely worth the price, even for someone who kinda sucks at Roguelites/RogueLikes. The one thing I would say is the platforming aspect gets less interesting, though eventually you gain means of circumventing a lot of the mega-dungeon. Still I love the boss battles and there is a good bit of satisfaction in finding the right combination of weapons to kill particularly frustrating enemies. 

Couple other Rogulelikes I started on are Mana Spark, Scourge Bringer, Ashen Forest, and Chrono Ark.

The last is a Card Based Combat system RPG with the death/resurrection/upgrade loop built into the narrative. I do wonder if I would ever unlock the whole story as you would need to loop through the game a LOT to get every cut scene I suspect...still I do think this idea of blending Magic/Pokemon/Digimon combat into an RPG has merit. It makes me wonder if this could be done without the roguelike like aspect, just a straight RPG where your deck gets better & better...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2020, 12:54:33 pm »
Deck building RPGs were popular in the early 2000s iirc. Baten Kaitos "eternal wings and the lost ocean", for the Gamecube, A couple of the Kingdom Hearts games, but at least Chain of Memories for the gameboy.

Also one of my favorite franchises growing up was the Megaman Battle Network games, I think there are 6 of them.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, is a more classic turn based game, but your attacks are all cards, drawn from a deck you build. Bonuses for certain type of cards played. I believe it had a later sequel but never played it.

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories was real time, but still with attacks based on cards drawn from a custom built deck.

Megaman Battle Network (1 through 6, several of the later games had two different versions with slight different stories a la Pokemon) was something of a hybrid. Both sides got a 3x3 grid, you build your deck with cards, certain chains letting you use more in a tern or unlock souped up versions. Combat consisted of moving around the grid and firing your standard megaman blaster, with the cards you picked for that turn letting you do extra damage or giving you some buff, you get some X second before the turn bar refills, game pauses and you select a new hand to play, resume with new cards.

I'm sure there has got to be more recent versions of this but it has been a while. If you find any, let me know. I like the strategic flexibility of building a deck in an RPG.

Also, Slay the Spire is a popular roughlite deckbuilder, but there's little-to-no upgrades to your deck, its all about building it right, you can select incrementally higher difficulties as you complete the game loop each time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:58:37 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2020, 12:30:30 am »
Deck building RPGs were popular in the early 2000s iirc. Baten Kaitos "eternal wings and the lost ocean", for the Gamecube, A couple of the Kingdom Hearts games, but at least Chain of Memories for the gameboy.

Also one of my favorite franchises growing up was the Megaman Battle Network games, I think there are 6 of them.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, is a more classic turn based game, but your attacks are all cards, drawn from a deck you build. Bonuses for certain type of cards played. I believe it had a later sequel but never played it.

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories was real time, but still with attacks based on cards drawn from a custom built deck.

Megaman Battle Network (1 through 6, several of the later games had two different versions with slight different stories a la Pokemon) was something of a hybrid. Both sides got a 3x3 grid, you build your deck with cards, certain chains letting you use more in a tern or unlock souped up versions. Combat consisted of moving around the grid and firing your standard megaman blaster, with the cards you picked for that turn letting you do extra damage or giving you some buff, you get some X second before the turn bar refills, game pauses and you select a new hand to play, resume with new cards.

I'm sure there has got to be more recent versions of this but it has been a while. If you find any, let me know. I like the strategic flexibility of building a deck in an RPG.

Also, Slay the Spire is a popular roughlite deckbuilder, but there's little-to-no upgrades to your deck, its all about building it right, you can select incrementally higher difficulties as you complete the game loop each time.

Nice - thanks for this list!

If I come across some good Deck-based RPGs I'll let you know, I have Slay the Spire as well as Hand of Fate but haven't done much in the first and never yet installed the latter...

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2020, 10:31:59 pm »
My pride is being tested by the Korean roguelite Skul: Hero Slayer - you are a tiny skeleton who gets different powers from sticking different skulls atop your spine.

I've done much better in darker atmosphere roguelike/lite games, so it's a bit frustrating to continually die before the first boss unless I get a really good skull to wear like Ghostrider.

I think I am up to the (not really) final boss in Unworthy, which is good but I got kinda tired of playing. Knowing I am gonna have to do another playthru to get the true ending is tiring at the moment...