• 357 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2019, 02:57:52 pm »
Carnival Row is pretty good. Most of the way through, still trying to guess whodunit.

Maybe i just like the actresses irish accents though... Whatever. Its worth the watch, politically some obvious tie-ins to both modern and historical times regarding race and immigration.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2019, 02:59:15 pm »
Carnival Row is pretty good. Most of the way through, still trying to guess whodunit.

Maybe i just like the actresses irish accents though... Whatever. Its worth the watch, politically some obvious tie-ins to both modern and historical times regarding race and immigration.

Yeah, might give that a go, my wife kind of categorically vetoed it, but I will watch the first episode and maybe I can convince her to try it out.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2019, 03:15:31 pm »
Some nudity and violence, but primarily its just a mystery set in a fantasy crossroads town with fantasy immigrants in TotallyNotEngland. The fantasy parts of it are not overdone, primarily costumes with wings and horns.

Typical love interest story and some action sequences interspersed with the primary case-solving police guy plot. Its not high stress/anxiety murder mystery either - enough to make it fun and to make you want to watch the next episode, but not so much that you feel exhausted watching it.

Not sure if any of those things will help or hurt your case lol.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:17:10 pm by Wilshire »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2019, 03:19:44 pm »
Some nudity and violence, but primarily its just a mystery set in a fantasy crossroads town with fantasy immigrants in TotallyNotEngland. The fantasy parts of it are not overdone, primarily costumes with wings and horns.

Typical love interest story and some action sequences interspersed with the primary case-solving police guy plot. Its not high stress/anxiety murder mystery either - enough to make it fun and to make you want to watch the next episode, but not so much that you feel exhausted watching it.

Not sure if any of those things will help or hurt your case lol.

She was actually into the trailer, until that faerie thing sprouted wings, then it was "too fantasy."  If it's subdued fantasy though, I'll have a case, maybe.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2019, 05:04:40 pm »
I'd say you're in solid Maybe territory then. If you can make it through the first episode, you should be fine as it doesn't get more fantastical as it progresses.

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 05, 2019, 10:36:20 pm »
Maybe i just like the actresses irish accents though...

Lmao, this got me.

She was actually into the trailer, until that faerie thing sprouted wings, then it was "too fantasy."  If it's subdued fantasy though, I'll have a case, maybe.

I wonder what it says about me when I, myself, also find that sort of thing "too fantasy"...as I sit here posting on a fantasy forum between bouts of worldbuilding for my own super-fantastical fantasy series that I am writing.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2019, 12:19:29 am »
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2019, 06:13:49 am »
The wings are never treated as magic, though. It's just a physical curiosity as far as everyone in the show is concerned, nothing more. Even considering fae fly, but absolutely should not be able to (which is never brought up).

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2019, 03:58:09 pm »
The wings are never treated as magic, though. It's just a physical curiosity as far as everyone in the show is concerned, nothing more. Even considering fae fly, but absolutely should not be able to (which is never brought up).

So, we ended up watching the show.

I was both disappointed and pleased.  Some of the dialogue felt a bit "wooden" and awkward.  I felt like when they engaged the world-building, the setting was interesting, but sometimes just seemed to not bother.  I think the show has promise, it was entertaining, hopefully they can take a step up on a few things for season 2.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2019, 05:29:08 pm »
Perpetual Grace, LTD - very good show in my opinion. It's hard to make me laugh, don't care for comedies, but this art crime show ( Pulp Fiction, Snatch, etc ) surprised me, pretty funny stuff. Someone needs to raise a statue to Ben Kingley, that man is a greater Ciphrang. Show is worth it just to watch him. I recommend it - not amazing, but if you liked the movie The Mexican, good chance you'll like this thing. If you want a break from heavy horror, this will work for you - although, there are times bad stuff happens, which is cool in that since it's not drenched in violence, so it impacts you more when it does happen. Anyways, genius cast, good story and good directing. Gets an A from me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 06:08:35 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 23, 2019, 03:32:49 pm »
We watched an Amazon show, Undone, which is done in rotoscope, and it was pretty decent.  Also, was only 8 half hour episodes, so low investment.  It was pretty good and has plenty of room of interpretation, especially as you get toward the end.

Also, since I am generally lost in time, my wife pointed out that The Good Place season 4 starts this week.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 23, 2019, 05:15:15 pm »
Cowboy Bebop

Watching it for first time. Its amazing, even now given that its 20+ years after debuted.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 23, 2019, 05:43:13 pm »
Cowboy Bebop

Watching it for first time. Its amazing, even now given that its 20+ years after debuted.

I started watching it a long, long time ago, but not sure I actually even finished an episode, probably just got distracted by something.  Just curious if you are watching it dubbed or subbed?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2019, 06:11:08 pm »
Dubbed. Its just easier to consume, even though I have never found a case where dubbed is better than subbed as far as writing goes. Probably just can't speak english fast enough to line up with the screen, so sentences get clipped to simpler phrases.

The music in the show is brilliant, and each episode is basically discrete with only thin threads connecting to a greater story arch. Ironically, this  makes my wife more interested in watching them all, as he usually gets bored of series with a single plot and/or doesn't want to commit to it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:54:34 am by Wilshire »

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 23, 2019, 06:55:44 pm »
I watched Cowboy Bebop many moons ago - remember liking it, but don't recall much about it. I'll have to check it out again.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff