Cnaiur Alive

• 17 Replies

xanmcgregor

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:18:09 pm »
Hi guys,

I was discussing TFT with my friend and we were talking about the fate of Cnaiur... So, my opinion was that he's alive (crazy, but alive) at the end of TFT but he went back to his people... But my firend said that he died with Moengus... So what do you think? dead or alive?
Did he die at the end of TFT or could he be still alive in the second series? I haven't read White-Luck warrior because I'm waiting for book translation so maybe he's making an appearance there...
There's also his age to consider... he could be pretty old (if alive) at the events of the second book series...

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 09:36:08 pm »
I think Bakker has been quoted as saying Cnaiur's storyline was finished at the end of TTT.  I loved the character, but don't really see a place for him in the existing narrative.  His story was finished, he got revenge on Moe Sr., and I don't believe he would have gone back to his people even if he did live.  His tracks had diverged too far from their custom, and I don't think Cnaiur felt there would be any point in going back.  There was nothing for him there anymore.  His journey ended on the edge of his own knife.  Maybe there's a skin-spy running around pretending to be him, but I think the man himself is dead.
No whistling on the slog!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 12:39:17 pm »
I really like the thought MG recently had about Yatwer taking Cnaiur at the end of TTT.

But agreed, arc is finished and all that.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 07:54:35 pm »
I would love to see him back!  Bakker's quote about Cnaiur's arc being finished--I don't know if he's telling the truth or throwing us for a loop.  :)

Maybe Cnaiur gorged on Cishaurim-salt, gouged out his own eyes, and became Meppa?  Other Cishaurim hanging around in the Kyudean mansion train him into a new beast?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:49:29 am »
He has unbridled passions, doesn't he...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 03:22:58 am »
The description of him cutting a final swazond into his neck is basically a euphemism for slitting his throat. He's dead.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 08:51:37 am »
Nah, Cnaiur is fine. 
Speaking of euphemisms...
He's Moe/Meppa's "snake" now.
The ultimate Freudian metaphor - he is the source of Meppa's passion.

Now Conphas, that guy is dead.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:54:22 am by Cüréthañ »
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 01:18:51 pm »
Curethan, xanmcgregor might be new around here. Don't suck him into your delusions just yet ;). I'm sure this topic has been discussed somewhere else, maybe somewhere in the pages of "Moenghus is a lying liar that lies" board.

I suggest you type in Cnaiur into the search tab on the homepage and see what comes up.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 09:11:16 pm »
The description of him cutting a final swazond into his neck is basically a euphemism for slitting his throat. He's dead.

Thinking about that part, I wonder if Cnaiur thought the final swazond represented the end of his own life or that he believed he had effectively killed Kellhus or he was just crazy.

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 10:01:48 pm »
Lol, Wilshire.  Of course this has been covered before.  But let us not deny our siblings (new or old) a response to their earnest questions with a shake of the head and a finger raised towards the search bar.

Clearly, xanmcgregor is interested in the possibility of Cnaiur alive - however unlikely.

IS NOT TRUTH INFINITE?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 11:40:14 pm »
Oh, damn, I didn't mean to stop the conversation. I was just thinking allowed, hoping I'd kickstart someone else's memory who could link a relevant post instead. Like you said, of course it is elsewhere, but here is as good a place as any to discuss.

I tried to find the comment Bakker made about Cnaiur, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the linked interviews. I didn't look very hard though ;)

Edit:
http://forum.three-seas.com/posts/9480
posted 07 Feb 2006, 23:02 by Cu'jara Cinmoi, Author of Prince of Nothing

I was afraid of this question, simply because I knew that anyone who asked would likely hate my answer. All I can say is that I thought long and hard about that ending, and had dozens of discussions about it with those who read the first draft. As it stands, I think it's perfect, it's the way Cnaiur's arc simply has to end. Beyond that... [view post]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 01:16:30 pm by Wilshire »

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 12:30:50 am »
I found it, Bakker said:

Cnaiur is the No-God and he will return at the end of The Unholy Consult where Kellhus will have to battle him in a confrontation that suggests both violence and sex.

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 12:54:37 am »
Lol, MG.

@ Wilshire;  I think it's buried in the 'Meppa is X' thread somewhere.  Thought the additional 'parallel to Freud' was apropos given your use of the term 'euphemism'.  ;)

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 08:40:52 pm »
Lol.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 06:28:58 am »
The Gods' greatest joke: former certainties viewed through the lens of more recent revelation.

I wonder if that's a cypher for the series. The Gods constantly going "Ha! You believed that last Prophet we sent you? Now you're all damned. Now here's a new Prophet with a new line of 'revelation' that smells even sweeter than the last. Consume it and you will be saved. We really mean it this time, Charlie Brown!"

(Also, this thread's title has to be read in Brian Blessed's voice.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:30:46 am by Duskweaver »
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."