Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 01:54:00 pm »
And their alien minds may be able to do some very weird shit with it. I don't really think we should assume that Kellhus is the greatest living sorceror on Earwa.

Hell, look at what Aurang did to Esmenet. Not merely a compulsion, but a full possession. For a time, she was Aurang. And that was done while Aurang was in a synthese, and very far from his actual body, both of which I get the impression make for serious attenuation of his actual magical power.

I agree with your above points - however, I think that the bottom example is just how Compulsion works. Perhaps the fact that any of Aurang's memories leak through could be evidence of performing a Compulsion badly, as the "Great Shout," the distance between Aurang's true form and the Synthese.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 02:45:20 pm »
+1 Sharmat!  Had not been thinking about alien mind + magic!  I'm going to have to get a lot of popcorn for all the badass sorcery in TUC...BUT how far can Bakker go?  Ain't there some kind of limit on how fucking awesome a person can write descriptions of this shit?  What's going to be left for TBTSNBN?

Borric

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 08:54:33 pm »
Tigra, the strongest human sorcerer of all time could take out one of the twins and the Mangaecca grand master at the same time with ease. (At least that’s the impression I took away from the false sun)

I can’t see kellhus having a problem with them.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 09:43:16 pm »
I also got the impression. The Mangecca were Gnostic as well right? Not sure on how the timelines goes, but it could have been that the Inchoroi hadn't had the Gnosis for very long? At that point you've just got Titirga vs Shae.. But Titirga's confidence is a bit unnerving considering how intelligent Shae was.

There was certainly something special about Titirga, so I don't think his prowess can be extended to Kellhus. However, given that Kellhus is pretty damn special, I don't think we can rule out him being superior to any magi left alive.

Besides, Kellhus can teleport. Even if he doesn't possess the raw brute strength required to take on an concert of enemy magi, he can just warp right up next to them and shank them, just like he did at Shimeh.

Nah but seriously he can only take on some many by himself. Eventually, like in the beginning with the sranc, sheer numbers would probably take him down, though the toll would be horrific.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2014, 05:56:38 am »
Tigra, the strongest human sorcerer of all time could take out one of the twins and the Mangaecca grand master at the same time with ease. (At least that’s the impression I took away from the false sun)
He didn't, though.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 06:52:35 pm »
There was certainly something special about Titirga, so I don't think his prowess can be extended to Kellhus. However, given that Kellhus is pretty damn special, I don't think we can rule out him being superior to any magi left alive.

We have a heirarchy list going and being revised... somewhere...

This is Trisk's, mine own is a couple posts down and posters added various amendments.

But Titirga has to be a cypher of some kind (in my head, anyways)...

I can’t see kellhus having a problem with them.

He didn't, though.

As I mentioned to Gaston in another thread, Kellhus being, one on one, the most powerful sorcercer in the world (if this is true), doesn't actually matter in these kinds of considerations. Kellhus couldn't take on the Consult-Four alone. The Consult also have "hundreds" of Quyan Erratics...

So can he take on 5? 10?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 08:40:07 pm »
He didn't, though.
In the most literal sense, no. But if he was going to be nbd why make the trap? Shae and the Aurang are both fairly vain individuals, I imagine they would have enjoyed burning Titirga to a crisp. Thats why the impression is that they were afraid they would lose. After all, its not like they were worried about collateral damage, so I see no logical reason to trick him to death rather than to save their own lives.

As I mentioned to Gaston in another thread, Kellhus being, one on one, the most powerful sorcercer in the world (if this is true), doesn't actually matter in these kinds of considerations. Kellhus couldn't take on the Consult-Four alone. The Consult also have "hundreds" of Quyan Erratics...

So can he take on 5? 10?

But it also isn't just Kellhus. He needs some magi on his side. If he has enough destructive force to overcome even 2 or 3 Quya, he could warp around the battlefield and destroy the enemy sorcerers one at a time. Or, he could warp himself and a small contingent of ward-singers to the same effect. The fact that he is so powerful and so mobile is extremely important.

Numbers are almost meaningless unless for some reason Kellhus is separate from all support against a large contingent of enemies. He can basically use Gorilla tactics against a larger force that is more powerful, or brute force if he has the upper hand in power.

[edit]
This reminds me of the last season of Yu Yu Hakusho, where the 3 demon factions are gearing up for a massive conflict. Basically it comes down to the top 1 or 2 most powerful players on each side (in the show). I guess in this case there are only 2 sides, and it will come down to the top few schoolmen, but the results are the same. Everyone who isn't in the top, say 5,  is a non-factor since the differences in power are order of magnitude.

Also, without knowing how much more powerful Kellhus is/isn't its really hard to say how much he can do. If he can take on 1-5 Quya on his own, hes not that much of a threat. If its 10-20 or 20-30, things change extremely quickly. Too many unknowns. The way is too narrow.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:51:07 pm by Wilshire »

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 05:03:09 pm »
I'm hoping for a dunyain gnosis concert...then they all die from something unconsidered.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 09:04:36 pm »
WLW shows up at an impossible moment and ruins all the plans.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 01:53:05 pm »

So can he take on 5? 10?

But it also isn't just Kellhus. He needs some magi on his side. If he has enough destructive force to overcome even 2 or 3 Quya, he could warp around the battlefield and destroy the enemy sorcerers one at a time. Or, he could warp himself and a small contingent of ward-singers to the same effect. The fact that he is so powerful and so mobile is extremely important.

Numbers are almost meaningless unless for some reason Kellhus is separate from all support against a large contingent of enemies. He can basically use Gorilla tactics against a larger force that is more powerful, or brute force if he has the upper hand in power.

Stupid Cant of Transposition.

[edit]
Also, without knowing how much more powerful Kellhus is/isn't its really hard to say how much he can do. If he can take on 1-5 Quya on his own, hes not that much of a threat. If its 10-20 or 20-30, things change extremely quickly. Too many unknowns. The way is too narrow.

+1. Golgotterath is too far...

WLW shows up at an impossible moment and ruins all the plans.

White-Luck Warrior vs. All the Dunyain :o?! It would be an amazing sword fight - am I the only one who wants more goddamn mundane duels in these books?

Cnaiur vs. Sarcellus the Second was such an epic conclusion to a book!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:56:15 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 06:44:46 pm »
+1 more mundane duals.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2014, 10:13:25 am »
Awesome mundane duels to hope for:

Young Moe vs Consult Erratic
Kayutas vs Consult Somebodies
Nau-Kayuti killing folks in the Ark
Theliopa surprises everyone with dagger duel vs WLW

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2014, 01:19:30 pm »
Kayutas unleashed is something I hope to see in TUC. He surely must have his father's abilities of limb (war) ;).

Moenghus the Younger... yes, I can only hope he exercises his father's fury. Unfortunately for the boys, Serwa has to protect them because they have no Chorae. I love it :D.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:21:12 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2014, 01:13:42 am »
I wonder if using the meta-gnosis in the Ark is going to be problematic--not only is it going to be covered with the oldest/strongest wards anywhere, it's also so topoi that doing something as 'deeply marked' as meta-gnosis would do weird things.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2014, 12:26:28 pm »
Achamian and Cleric seemed to work sorcery fine in Cil-Aujas?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer