TDTCB, PRLG

• 74 Replies

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2014, 11:07:55 pm »
Could there be something to the fact that tears fell only from the Bard's blind eye?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2014, 10:52:22 pm »
He was a cishaurim!

Nah but maybe there is something there? The eyes that do no witness how the souls regret?

EDIT:
Wow. Language fail I left out several words... Corrected:
"The eyes that do not witness the world see only the soul's true form."

Meaning the Bard's weeping eye is the outward reflection of the regret/strife/pain of his soul.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:12:23 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2014, 01:02:02 am »
The eyes that do no witness how the souls regret?

I was thinking of something along those lines. Perhaps thematically it's connected to the Cishaurim's metaphysics as well.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2014, 04:20:10 pm »
Fixed my previous post. Now it makes sense.

Anyways, I'd be surprised if it was connected directly to the Psuke but its difficult to see where/how things connect before they are shown to us. Hopefully TUC will bring us answers, or the tools to find them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:33:35 pm by Wilshire »

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2014, 11:23:12 pm »
While reading I made a bunch of notes and highlights on my kindle so I thought I would post some random thoughts here. However, all sober readings of the chapter have already been made so be warned that I'll restrain my self to the crackpot. Some of these thoughts--if not most--were inspired by other posters here and on Westeros.

It's not very coherent so apologies in advance.

One cannot raise walls against what has been forgotten.

The citadel of Ishuäl succumbed during the height of the Apocalypse. But no army of inhuman Sranc had scaled its ramparts. No furnace-hearted dragon had pulled down its mighty gates. Ishuäl was the secret refuge of the Kûniüric High Kings, and no one, not even the No-God, could besiege a secret.

(click to show/hide)

Ganrelka’s uncle, who’d led the heartbreaking assault on Golgotterath’s gates in the early days of the Apocalypse, hung from a rope in his chambers, slowly twisting in a draft.

Ganrelka was rescued from the Fields of Elenëot by five Knights of Trysë. We as readers know this because we were told and saw him in this prologue, but the people of Eärwa were most likely told that he died on the battlefield. What better way to smuggle him into Ishuäl unbeknownst to anyone than to declare him dead?

(click to show/hide)

Ganrelka’s uncle, who’d led the heartbreaking assault on Golgotterath’s gates in the early days of the Apocalypse, hung from a rope in his chambers, slowly twisting in a draft.

Slowly twisting in a draft. This imagery brings up the No-God but I'm not sure what to make of it.

The old Bard continually searched for him, singing ancient songs of love and battle, but slurring the words in blasphemous ways. “Why won’t you show yourself, child?” he would cry as he reeled through the galleries. “Let me sing to you. Woo you with secret songs.”

Here we're being told that 'secret songs', or secrets, to be precise, are blasphemous?

One night the Bard caught the boy. He caressed first his cheek and then his thigh. “Forgive me,” he muttered over and over, but tears fell only from his blind eye. “There are no crimes,” he mumbled afterward, “when no one is left alive.” But the boy lived. Five nights later, he lured the Bardic Priest onto Ishuäl’s towering walls. When the man shambled by in a drunken stupor, he pushed him from the heights.

(click to show/hide)

Later the boy will repeat a paraphrasing of this view to the Dûnyain monk.

And once in a while, his eyes wide with hope and superstitious dread, he would poke the dead with his father’s sword.

I just thought that the word 'superstitious' here is a bit strange. Eärwa is an enchanted world. Most superstitions in the end turn out to be true, for instance, Kellhus learns that most of the superstitious beliefs that Leweth harboured where in fact reality.

“We are Dûnyain, child. What reason could you have to fear us?” But the boy clutched his father’s sword, crying, “So long as men live, there are crimes!” The man’s eyes filled with wonder. “No, child,” he said. “Only so long as men are deceived.”

Here the boy repeats what the the BP said and the Dunyain basically replies that no, there is another way.

(click to show/hide)

Here awareness most holy could be tended. In Ishuäl, they had found shelter against the end of the world.

(click to show/hide)

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2014, 08:18:57 pm »
OK, so my thoughts on the prologue. First, something I noticed right away and has been hotly debated is Kellhus's mission. When he admits his mission to Leweth, he only says that he "searches" for his father. When he first leaves Ishual, he says to himself, "Shimeh will be my home, I will dwell in my father's house." So, I guess he never specifically states his mission, though it seems to me, he is saying he needs to find his father. Not gonna spoil anything, but later we find out there is more to his mission. So, why doesn't he contemplate this here? He seems pretty carefree and seems to be longing for his father, IMHO. Kellhus then experiences what I would call sensory overload, and gives you a glimpse into everyday life in Ishual.

Next, Kellhus is found by Leweth on the verge of death. We get to see the extraordinary capabilities of the mind of the Dunyain. He takes over Leweth, and then realizes how strong and powerful his father must be after living for twenty years with these "children".

Lastly, the confrontation with Mek. The fighting abilities of the Dunyain are put on display with the slaughter of the sranc. In retrospect, I believe this just isn't coincidence, that these two meet. Just too convenient to me. Mek knows he is a name, and when Kellhus tells him he's an Anasurimbor, Mek point to a face on his cloak of one (NC?). Here is when I think Kellhus's world is flip upside down, he learns that sorcery is real. Huh, welcome to Earwa, Kellhus!

Also, I was worried about spoilers, but this is in the re-read section, should I have to worry about any spoiler policy?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2014, 08:33:41 pm »
The request has been that you spoiler tag anything beyond the specific chapter thread content. However, you'll find in exploring that people have done that or not, as per their own discretion (and I don't think the mod team has edited anyone's post yet for that reason).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2014, 08:36:10 pm »
Thanks Madness, wasn't sure. Is adding spoiler tags the same as westeros? That information might be available, haven't seen it, if so could you direct me please?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2014, 08:39:07 pm »
[ spoiler ]Spoiler text.[/ spoiler ]

Without spaces:

(click to show/hide)
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2014, 09:12:21 pm »
I actually just read the prologue this past week and wondered at his statement "I will dwell in my father's house" that you pointed out.
Did he know his mission? Why does he not "think" about his mission as we would expect him to, rather than what he stated above?

---------------------
On Spoiler tagging:

You can also add

[ spoiler =spoiler title] Spoiler text. [ / spoiler]

so:
(click to show/hide)

Also, if you "quote" someone using the button, it will give you all the format that said person used in their  post. I've used this several times to copy/learn new formatting things.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:15:41 pm by Wilshire »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2014, 09:55:28 pm »
Yea I was looking the whole time for his mission to be stated, even went back and read it again to make sure.
(click to show/hide)

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2015, 06:33:24 pm »
At night he would take animal comfort in the dark and cold.

Can someone tell me what that line means? What exactly is animal comfort?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2015, 07:19:03 pm »
I read that as just being comfortable sleeping outside without the trappings of modern society.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2015, 07:28:08 pm »
Is that it? I imagined him hugging animals to himself to stay warm at night...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2015, 03:31:33 am »
lmao. domesticate some wolves for blankets :P