TSA on tvtropes

• 32 Replies

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 08:48:43 pm »
Did Anaxophus die during the Indigo Plague?  I could've sworn that was the case and I'm trying to find a citation but I can't find anything.

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 08:39:44 pm »
Could someone give me Serwe's full name please? It's literally only mentioned once in the the entirety of the series but I want it for the Character page. It's like Serwe te Keyalt, but I know that's not 100% right.

Don't have an e-book to just search this stuff and it isn't on the wikia. Someone help me out plz. Also the Anaxophus question.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 09:41:23 pm »
HP, I searched the first trilogy and this is all I found, Serwë, daughter of Ingaera. There could be something other than that but I couldn't find it, sorry.

ETA: Oops, sorry, I searched TJE instead of TWP. Here you go, Serwë hil Keyalti.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 09:46:18 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 10:27:19 pm »
Excellent!  Thank you. You're Michael Seswatha Jordan on Westeros, right?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 10:47:20 pm »
Yep, you're welcome.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 11:58:28 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Titan

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 10:35:59 pm »
HP, I searched the first trilogy and this is all I found, Serwë, daughter of Ingaera. There could be something other than that but I couldn't find it, sorry.

ETA: Oops, sorry, I searched TJE instead of TWP. Here you go, Serwë hil Keyalti.

But doesn't that break the custom of listing your house/last name first? ()Like Ikurei Conphas or Anasurimbur Kellhus) Or is that a practice that is limited to the big name houses?

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 11:26:59 pm »
The Cepalorans seem to have a different naming convention than most Three Seas nations, more like that of the Scylvendi.  Serwë hil Keyalti and Sibawul te Nurwul are both Cepaloran, and their names appear to follow the same pattern.
No whistling on the slog!

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 12:28:10 am »
If 'te' is "son of", does that mean that 'hil' is "daugher of" maybe? If Serwe's father is Ingaera.  Or maybe Nymbricani and Cepalorae have slight differences.

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 06:04:45 am »
What would you guys call a polity specific name of Kian? The Kingdom of Conriya. The Nansur Empire. The Nilu Confederacy.  The Padirajate of Kian?  I don't know. Is there something specific for that in the books?

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 06:35:06 am »
Also, I'm just dumping random shit in this thread for a second opinion.  Skauras's epithet is "Sutis Sutadra" by the Nansur—the Southern Jackal. Sutadra is the Fanim heretic in the Skin Eaters—the Jackal. It's probably an assumed name. But is "sutadra" Sheyic or Kiani? If the Nansur were to name an enemy that was intradiegetically different than english=sheyic would it be High Sheyic then? But then why would a Fanim heretic give himself a pseudonym in Sheyic and not Kiani?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 07:57:33 am »
Also, I'm just dumping random shit in this thread for a second opinion.  Skauras's epithet is "Sutis Sutadra" by the Nansur—the Southern Jackal. Sutadra is the Fanim heretic in the Skin Eaters—the Jackal. It's probably an assumed name. But is "sutadra" Sheyic or Kiani? If the Nansur were to name an enemy that was intradiegetically different than english=sheyic would it be High Sheyic then? But then why would a Fanim heretic give himself a pseudonym in Sheyic and not Kiani?

Because he was in the company of those speaking Sheyic?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 07:48:30 pm »
What would you guys call a polity specific name of Kian? The Kingdom of Conriya. The Nansur Empire. The Nilu Confederacy.  The Padirajate of Kian?  I don't know. Is there something specific for that in the books?

Nation of Kian, I believe.

At the beginning of TTT Glossary, it suggests that everything we read is rendered in "Sheyic" as Drusas Achamian would have known the names, or some such.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:50:13 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 08:20:38 pm »
I think they just called it an Empire most of the time, RE: Kian. It seems pretty synonymous. I don't think there was much time where Kianene simply referred to Kian vs. when they conquered a ton of former Nansur territory.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 01:24:49 pm »
Kingdom of Kain alliterates nicely :P , though I think Empire is probably the most apt description, except that I don't think they have an emperor, they have a Padiraja who is also a religious leader. How do we refer to the Vatican in this context?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 05:54:44 pm »
Padiraja just seems like a quasi-Hindu version of the old Ottoman title Padishah (which is a combination of Turkish and Persian IIRC). Really, the closest translation is Emperor I think. In this case perhaps they're taking inspiration from nearby Nilnamesh? Nilnamesh has Satraps at least, IIRC. Might have other Persian titles too.