[Spoilers] Is the Consult doomed to fail?

• 35 Replies

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2018, 09:45:55 pm »
When it comes to answers, we should be careful what we wish for.  As much as I really want, for example, to know how the Psukhe functions, there's a part of me that knows that the ambiguity is a big reason I love these books. 

Or to put it succinctly: Midichlorians.

There is also a fair chance that Bakker's "explanations" make no sense to us humans.  ;)
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2018, 10:41:52 pm »
Perhaps the most important thing to be answered still has to be what really happened to Shaeönanra ...

I agree, the Shae thing is a great/fun mystery.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2018, 04:30:26 am »
Quote from:  profgrape
When it comes to answers, we should be careful what we wish for.  As much as I really want, for example, to know how the Psukhe functions, there's a part of me that knows that the ambiguity is a big reason I love these books. 

Or to put it succinctly: Midichlorians.

Let me rephrase myself a bit. I don't need every mystery spelled out, I want a "payoff" for some of the plotlines. I don't need to know how the JE works, I want the JE to play a meaningful part; the plot to have a significant outcome. The dreams, same. I don't need to know the how, rather the why.

Totally agree, MSJ

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2018, 06:51:00 pm »
To square these two thoughts: Kellhus misidentified the winners. The gab in the God's vision is not indicative of a Consult victory. It only shows that the No-God completes its mission, which is much different. Everyone that sees themselves as Damned is in fact destined to be in hell - its a forgone conclusion. However, those that do not see themselves in the IF are the ones that survive.

Agree.  Most of the Consult are dead prior to the No-God reawakening - and (we must assume) they are damned and have gone to hell.  Remaining alive are Aurax, who may not necessarily have a soul at all, being a creation of the Progenitors, and possibly Shaeonanra.  Golgotterath has been half trashed by Kellhus, and and as I recall, all the Quya were killed in the battle.

4 out 5 Mutilated are left, but how much control they have over the No-God remains to be seen.

I would be very pissed off if there weren't any further twists in the tale.  Evil scientists triumph over religious maniacs, with no other options for humanity, and no way to defeat/ or neutralise the No-God is a very disappointing outcome as far as I'm concerned
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 06:54:52 pm by TheCulminatingApe »
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2018, 06:56:21 pm »
While I would definitely appreciate some greater detail on certain things (Psukhe, Aporos, metaphysics in general), the only thing that would come close to a "deal-breaker"  for me would be not getting any resolution to Seswatha, and to a lesser extent Serwe's importance. The latter I'm sort of okay with being more of an obscure puzzle, but I absolutely feel we need some legit Seswatha explanations (I'm not particularly concerned about this though since I think the Seswatha-mysteries are deliberately being kept for end-game material).

I agree about Seswatha.  If we were ever to find out what happened when Kellhus hypnotised Akka, I think that would answer a lot of questions - and may well indeed be end game stuff
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2018, 03:35:21 pm »
While I would definitely appreciate some greater detail on certain things (Psukhe, Aporos, metaphysics in general), the only thing that would come close to a "deal-breaker"  for me would be not getting any resolution to Seswatha, and to a lesser extent Serwe's importance. The latter I'm sort of okay with being more of an obscure puzzle, but I absolutely feel we need some legit Seswatha explanations (I'm not particularly concerned about this though since I think the Seswatha-mysteries are deliberately being kept for end-game material).

I agree about Seswatha.  If we were ever to find out what happened when Kellhus hypnotised Akka, I think that would answer a lot of questions - and may well indeed be end game stuff

A definitive answer on Akka’s changing Dreams might shed some light on this.  I feel like Bakker is on record saying we’d learn more about the dreams in TNG.