Proposed reread - Wheel of Time books 1 - 3

• 6 Replies

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« on: November 10, 2016, 05:19:42 pm »
Anyone up for passing the time until the publication of TUC by reareading The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, and The Dragon Reborn?
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 05:35:15 pm »
Ahhhh Wheel Of Time. It was my favourite series when I was a teen and still it ranks very high in my list.I have fond memories with this one. Remembering the ending of A Memory Of Light ( the series ending and the character deaths)  I still get a punch in the gut.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 11:31:49 pm »
Ahhhh Wheel Of Time. It was my favourite series when I was a teen and still it ranks very high in my list.I have fond memories with this one. Remembering the ending of A Memory Of Light ( the series ending and the character deaths)  I still get a punch in the gut.

I've never read this series, but has been in my to read like for a while. Maybe I'll join along. If we can get enough people to have engaging conversations, always makes it more enjoyable in my humble opinion.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 12:00:21 am »
Also, I've heard The Wheel of Time is a bit, how should I say this, childish - full of tropes. Is this something that has real mystery? Interesting? Or is it watered down fantasy about the farm boy that saves the world?

Not being ignorant, would just like to know what it's about and the level of intrigue and mystery involved. Thanks.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 08:31:19 am »
It has tropes and there is a farm boy but the worst thing about the books are most of the female characters. They can be very very very annoying at times. There is much mystery and intrigue however. Overall it is really worth it if you know what you are getting into.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 12:38:25 am »
Good to see some interest here. 

Regarding tropes and cliches: you have to remember that Jordan literally reignited the entire "epic fantasy" revival that we now take for granted as the norm in the field, he will inevitably seem tired and worn out in some sense to anyone who is a product of his legacy.

Also, I suggested the first three novels only because I vaguely recall the series dropping off sharply in quality after the end of The Dragon Reborn. We will probably be getting the cream of the series with those books.

So - how fast? Two chapters a week or what?
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 01:07:50 pm »
I've seen two authors charged with that. First Brooks with Shannara, now this. Hopefully this turned out better than the first Shannara book.
One of the other conditions of possibility.