The inverse fire.

• 137 Replies

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2016, 02:09:32 am »
im starting to think the IF is a consciousness giving device, an tekne operating system. a device that give flesh life from the scrane to the bashrag. But a creature that already has consciousness ie humans, nonman get a extra consciousness placed into them, similar to Ses heart and the mandate. a force that "drives" the flesh that is the body and the consciousness itself is driven by fear.
Wow. Much creepy, very consulty.

Also, your guess reminded me about Peter Watt's themes (intelligence without consciousness, philosophical zombies etc) & his short story "The Things", which is written from a perspective of the eponymous horror-film monster, while it's trying to understand the bodies of people it occupies. Quite an apologetical story, I must add.

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2016, 05:31:56 pm »

No one wants damnation, but what the Inverse Fire shows, perhaps, is so factual, so seemingly determined, that it grants you escapism through the most extreme nihilism.  Damnation is insurmountable, salvation seemingly unobtainable, so hence why the Consult takes the alternative route of disabling damnation, not seeking salvation.

This has always been the oddest part of Bakkerverse's theologies to me.  There is literally no discussion of atonement and salvation on the part of anyone, even in regards to Inri Sejenus, which is a weird and glaring omission given that Sejenus is Not!Jesus.  The closest thing you get is the mention that some of the Hundred will save you to their particular, presumably customized and this distorted, paradise if you are a good customer of theirs. It's curiously lopsided.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2016, 07:51:59 pm »
Or, their own special form of hell. Its not even being saved, just picking your own misery.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2016, 08:39:50 pm »
There is the possibility that damnation is, essentially, unforgivable.  Once damned, always damned.  If you didn't back the right horse from the get go, you just lose.

I don't really believe that, but I think it is possible that Earwa is like that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:22:31 am by H »
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2016, 10:26:35 pm »
It certainly seems like that is what is presented so far.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2016, 11:37:03 pm »
Mimara tells Galian it's not too late to change, as he's about to do some nasty stuff to her.  Difficult to say if she's just saying that, trying to appeal to whatever spark of humanity he might have left, or if she knows it based on her experience with the JE.  Implications.
No whistling on the slog!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2016, 01:40:30 pm »
Mimara tells Galian it's not too late to change, as he's about to do some nasty stuff to her.  Difficult to say if she's just saying that, trying to appeal to whatever spark of humanity he might have left, or if she knows it based on her experience with the JE.  Implications.

Indeed, that is a good question.  Also, she might actually believe it's true when it really isn't.

That being said, I do think one could be redeemed from damnation, but only if one completely devoted themselves to a god and venerated them with some overwhelming fidelity.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Odium

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2016, 01:35:30 am »
The Inverse Fire is named in Cunuroi or some other language in TGO, I think. If anyone could remind me what that name is (I can't seem to find it in my copy) I would be much obliged!

Edit - I actually ended up finding it. Xir’kirimakra
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:24:30 am by Odium »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2016, 04:55:39 pm »
Was that in TGO or The False Sun, Odium?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2016, 07:13:04 pm »
Was that in TGO or The False Sun, Odium?

False Sun.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2016, 06:53:52 pm »
Just wondering if I missed a name drop in TGO. Lol.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2016, 07:43:21 pm »
Just wondering if I missed a name drop in TGO. Lol.

Yeah, I believe I said it before some where, but the spolier warning on the False Sun really doesn't seem to be about any of the books so far...which means, it must have spoilers for TUC...

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2016, 01:25:04 am »
Belated "Why is it the Inverse Fire" comment here, but: I just assumed it was a play on Tolkien's concept of "The Secret Fire" (the power of true creation) and didn't think about it any further than that.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2016, 06:53:42 pm »
Belated "Why is it the Inverse Fire" comment here, but: I just assumed it was a play on Tolkien's concept of "The Secret Fire" (the power of true creation) and didn't think about it any further than that.

I've always assumed there's some kind of nod there but don't know the Silmarillion well enough to start guessing.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2016, 08:53:10 pm »
IIRC (it's been years) The Secret Fire was the hidden power of creation that Eru Iluvatar used to create the world. All the Valar and Maiar could do was manipulate what was already created. Melkor's deep envy for this power caused his initial rebellion.