What Happens If China Makes First Contact?

• 36 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 01:16:53 pm »
Very interesting. I'd like to get around to three-body problem now, and the dark-forest idea is fascinating.

lol MSJ: Malazan had the same affect on me.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 02:07:19 pm »
Assuming First Contact will ever happen

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 04:35:31 pm »
I mean, I think the question says "if" lol. the whole thing is a hypothetical, so yeah, we're assuming that the hypothetical hypothetically happens, in this hypothetical scenario.

Another hypothetical entirely might be "what if no first contact is made" - but that's a whole different topic ;).

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 05:54:07 pm »
Maybe it's not that far off... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852
Anyway, if first contact happens I hope this is what the aliens will see
http://i.imgur.com/7x44VOd.jpg
Also, broadcasting our location to the cosmos is fucking stupid.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 06:20:45 pm »
Maybe it's not that far off... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852
Anyway, if first contact happens I hope this is what the aliens will see
http://i.imgur.com/7x44VOd.jpg
Also, broadcasting our location to the cosmos is fucking stupid.

Lol, classic humanity.
Also, way to late for broadcasting location. But hey, it was a simpler time back then and we thought that any intelligent interstellar super-civilizations were going to be as friendly to animals as we are - not to mention friendly among themselves as we are.... Oh, oh my god, we've made a horrible error!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 05:07:40 pm »
I liked how Sagan dealt with communication in Contact. Otherwise, while there are a number of hypotheses, obviously, it's easy to think that communication/recognition between species would be impossible.

I suppose that would make an interesting thread, in and of itself.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 12:50:15 pm »
I liked how Sagan dealt with communication in Contact. Otherwise, while there are a number of hypotheses, obviously, it's easy to think that communication/recognition between species would be impossible.

Don't forget, more recently, Arrival and the issue of communication presented there, as it relates to a fundamentally different ways of conceptualizing language and time.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 03:10:28 pm »

Don't forget, more recently, Arrival and the issue of communication presented there, as it relates to a fundamentally different ways of conceptualizing language and time.

Not sure about those examples, but Watts make an interesting case in Blindsight. Capture two, torture one of them and make the other solves puzzles to make the torture stop. Eventually you'll learn how to communicate with them.

Maybe you need three so you can figure out how to properly torture the first one (likely a casualty as you discover the limits of pain and survival thresholds )

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 03:37:12 pm »

Decent adaptation, though I still find Story of Your Life a much better suited medium.

Even there though, some hypotheses suggest that it is comically unlikely that anything resembling recognizable communication might possibly occur between interstellar species.

Blindsight...

(click to show/hide)
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 08:03:29 pm »

Decent adaptation, though I still find Story of Your Life a much better suited medium.

Even there though, some hypotheses suggest that it is comically unlikely that anything resembling recognizable communication might possibly occur between interstellar species.

Blindsight...

(click to show/hide)
Arrival, while conceptually interesting, was still sci-fi.
It's hard to envision how we might communicate with a truly alien race since we cannot envision such a race. Even Peter Watts' Blindsight, which I love, has one particularly cringey part for the biochemically inclined.
Hint: It's related to scrambler physiology.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2017, 12:42:27 pm »
It's hard to envision how we might communicate with a truly alien race since we cannot envision such a race.

+1
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:30 pm »
Only peripherally related but for BFK, based on a conversation he and Wilshire were having in Quorum:

Liu Cixin’s next U.S. release is Ball Lightning, a Tesla-evoking cautionary novel of what happens when the beauty of scientific inquiry runs up against a push to harness new discoveries with no consideration of their possible consequences.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 12:32:54 am »
Only peripherally related but for BFK, based on a conversation he and Wilshire were having in Quorum:

Liu Cixin’s next U.S. release is Ball Lightning, a Tesla-evoking cautionary novel of what happens when the beauty of scientific inquiry runs up against a push to harness new discoveries with no consideration of their possible consequences.
Very cool, Madness! August 2018 release date, so a bit of a wait.

I am very curious as to what President Obama thinks about dark-forest strategy, if he got that far in the trilogy. It's the polar opposite of the optimistic view familiar from Star Trek. Hide well, cleanse well......
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 01:21:32 am »

Very cool, Madness! August 2018 release date, so a bit of a wait.

I am very curious as to what President Obama thinks about dark-forest strategy, if he got that far in the trilogy. It's the polar opposite of the optimistic view familiar from Star Trek. Hide well, cleanse well......
I haven't read the books but hasn't Stephen Hawking said pretty much the same thing for years?
Also, Ball Lightning sounds like a very cool title. Sounds like an electricity themed book.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 02:06:49 pm »
I haven't read the books but hasn't Stephen Hawking said pretty much the same thing for years?

Yup.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer