Back from my unintended hiatus

• 8 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:50:08 pm »
Decided to post an update of sorts following the quorum conversation from yesterday, after coming back from my 2-month long hiatus.
I disappeared around early September because I was getting finished with my master's thesis that month. Everything went well and that particular event got wrapped up by late September. I didn't come back at first because I just needed a break. Then by October I was not in a TSA mood and went back to some other fandoms (like ASOIAF). A while back, I found myself wondering about what was going on here and so I came back. :P (and yes, if I disappear for months again, sorry in advance, it's either work or something else that's distracting me)
And another thing: the day after the defense of the dissertation, I found a lost kitten on the street near my house. We ended up keeping him (in addition to 3 older cats and 3 dogs...). I was so close to naming him after a TSA character, but decided against it because most TSA character names are too long for pets to learn. He has since started to act much more mischievous and aggressive/annoying towards the other cats, so I kind of regret not naming him Kelmomas sometimes. ;) (I would post a picture, but I don't have any good ones)
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 07:11:59 pm »
Yeah, a previous gf brought home a "lost" kitten ( I suspected the "rescue" was a cat burglary ) and I put her outside for the night to see if she would find her way home ... she didn't, so I kept her ( Beatrise ), lived 16 years. I thought cats didn't respond to their names, but maybe as you say, the name we gave her was too hard for her to "get".

You made me paranoid I ran you off, your last post was one I responded to with poor humor, LOL - good to have you back!
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:34:21 pm »
Yeah, a previous gf brought home a "lost" kitten ( I suspected the "rescue" was a cat burglary ) and I put her outside for the night to see if she would find her way home ... she didn't, so I kept her ( Beatrise ), lived 16 years. I thought cats didn't respond to their names, but maybe as you say, the name we gave her was too hard for her to "get".

Some cats do, one of my older cats learned his name super quickly, like a couple of days after we brought him home. I suspect the other two know their names, but just don't care.
I've heard the theory that cats learn their names if those are short and end in an "e" sound. Not sure if there's anything to it. The one cat that learned his name is Cookie, so maybe, but it doesn't prove anything. That's one of the reasons we ended up deciding on Ziggy for the new one, though.

You made me paranoid I ran you off, your last post was one I responded to with poor humor, LOL - good to have you back!

I'm so sorry for giving you that impression. :-[ If I am ever offended by one of your posts or someone else's posts, I'll say something.
I didn't even remember the post you meant (since it has been over 2 months) so I went back to see it, did you mean the one about the loose ends/things being tied up in the narrative? If so, there was nothing wrong with it that could offend me, you shouldn't have worried. :)
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 07:49:49 pm »
What was your master thesis about?

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 09:35:28 pm »

It was about non-coeliac gluten sensitivity and coeliac disease in a sample of Portuguese patients. Sorry I didn't mention it in the main post, I mentioned it on the chat yesterday but didn't think anyone (else) would be interested in the details here. :)

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 10:12:57 pm »
Oh that sounds cool.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 11:15:53 am »

It was about non-coeliac gluten sensitivity and coeliac disease in a sample of Portuguese patients. Sorry I didn't mention it in the main post, I mentioned it on the chat yesterday but didn't think anyone (else) would be interested in the details here. :)

Well, our kids have some combination of those two things, so, we might be interested around here,  8)
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 08:29:24 pm »
It was about non-coeliac gluten sensitivity and coeliac disease in a sample of Portuguese patients.

+1 for Celiac ( clarity: I'm a sufferer of it, not in favor )

... did you mean the one about the loose ends/things being tied up in the narrative?

I don't remember ( trying to block it ), you said you liked the witches and I called them bitches - anyways, was meant to make you/all laugh, but was a dud so I retract said statement. The timing was funny in that I posted it right before I read about Madness dropping the hammer on us offenders ( I'm guessing the order of posts made it seem I was posting as an affront to Madness, but I wasn't - just a really bad coincidence ). In reality, I liked the witches as well ( wish I were one ).
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 07:58:08 pm »
Oh that sounds cool.

Thanks. :)

Well, our kids have some combination of those two things, so, we might be interested around here,  8)

Well, I'm not an expert on these conditions by any means, I'm afraid. I only know what I had to investigate for my thesis and have no actual medical knowledge (only biochemistry/pharmacy).
It's good that they already have a diagnosis (suspicion of diagnosis?) at a young age, though, it will be much better for them in the long term. :)

+1 for Celiac ( clarity: I'm a sufferer of it, not in favor )

After reading a fair amount of scientific articles when working on my thesis, I can properly begin to imagine how much that must suck. But like I said in the Quorum, it really would have been worse a few years back, things do seem to have improved in regards to diagnosis/treatment in the last decade.

I don't remember ( trying to block it ), you said you liked the witches and I called them bitches - anyways, was meant to make you/all laugh, but was a dud so I retract said statement. The timing was funny in that I posted it right before I read about Madness dropping the hammer on us offenders ( I'm guessing the order of posts made it seem I was posting as an affront to Madness, but I wasn't - just a really bad coincidence ). In reality, I liked the witches as well ( wish I were one ).

Wow, I don't even remember ever posting about the witches. My memory must be terrible nowadays. Anyway, I don't think that particular comment would be enough to send me running off either, no worries there. ;)
I do wish that some of the witches' characters could have been more developed, we had a chance there to see friendships between female characters (a rarity for this series) and it never went anywhere. We didn't even know the name of any of the witches bar Serwa before TGO!