Weapons in Fantasy

• 33 Replies

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« on: July 23, 2015, 04:07:09 pm »
I was just doing a quick reread of Richard Morgan's A Land Fit for Heroes trilogy before diving into the last book and it kind of surprised me that the topic of legendary weapons has never come up given that we comprise what I suspect is primarily a spec-fic audience. So, based on my most recent read, I present the Ravensfriend:

"I am Welcomed in the Home of Ravens and Other Scavengers in the Wake of Warriors," Ringil recited for him, hollowly. "I am Friend to Carrion Crows and Wolves. I am Carry Me and Kill with Me, and Die with Me Where the Road Ends. I am not the Honeyed Promise of Length of Life in Years to Come. I am the Iron Promise of Never Being a Slave."
"That's its dedication?"
"That's its name," Ringil told him flatly.

A few others come to mind immediately, but I haven't any defining passages to include for them. Any weapons you've read about that really stand out to you? If this catches on I'll add some more

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 04:26:14 pm »
I think this is a great idea, though nothing to add myself. I dont seem to recall any great weapons such as what you've described above.

"That's its name," Ringil told him flatly.
lol thats brilliant.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 04:28:24 pm »
Erickson's got two good ones.

Anomander's Dragnipur and Karsa Orlong's Flint Sword.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Camlost

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 04:58:24 pm »
Dragnipur was another one that immediately came to mind. I don't know that there is any single passage that truly encapsulates what is going on with that smoked-chained blade

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 05:03:06 pm »
I don't have any books with me really but Erikson does have a fairly encapsulating single passage.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 05:36:57 pm »
All I can think of off the top of my head is Terminus Est from Book of the New Sun.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 06:20:17 pm »
Erickson's got two good ones.

Anomander's Dragnipur and Karsa Orlong's Flint Sword.
Ahh good call on those two. The blade of darkness is indeed legendary. There are several in Erickson. The Flint Sword was not terribly fancy but the forging was cool. Also Burn's Hammer comes to mind.

All I can think of off the top of my head is Terminus Est from Book of the New Sun.
I also thought of this, but as I only read the first book I'm not sure its much more than just a heavy sword.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Francis Buck

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 07:26:03 pm »
Damn, I was gonna say Terminus Est as well. It actually has quite a few interesting traits, such as a channel filled with mercury (or something like mercury) in its center, as well as having various "executioner sword" features (male edge for men, female edge for women) and a squared tip, so it can't be used for thrusting.

As for others...there's Kosall from Heroes Die, a sword so stereotypically cliche that it circles back around to being rather original (which is a common thing in that series).

And the Vorpal Sword!

Also the many incarnations of Masamune throughout mythology and fiction, like Sephiroth's giant-ass katana from FF7:

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:27:36 pm »
Ill go with these off the top of my head that haven't been listed:

Terry Brooks: Sword of Shannara - (Various) Made in the Old Times so almost indestructable.
Terry Goodkind: Sword of Truth (Richard Rahl)- Powers change over time.
David Gemmell: Swords of Night and Day (Skilgannon) which are copies of Swords of Blood and Fire. (Decado) < Expected Madness to mention them. :)
Robert Jordan: Callandor - "The sword that is not a sword" (Rand al Thor) I suppose we can put this here?
Tolkien: Glamdring (Gandalf) Sting (Bilbo+Frodo) Orcwrist (Thorin) - I know there are a load more I just cant think of them.
Ancient Myths: Excalibur
George. R. R. Martin: Needle (Arya) and Oathkeeper (Brienne) - I am not sure if they are names in the books as I have only seen the tv series.
Rowling: Sword of Gryffindor (Gryffindors)
Hayden: The Daystar Clarion (Rhapsoy)

Thats all I can think of for now but if I remember anymore ill repost.

Shame on you FB you don't mention the Buster Sword!

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 08:37:59 pm »
Tad Williams' titular blades from his epic fantasy series, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.  They were essentially three blades with very different provenances, that were (obviously) central to the story.

When frost doth grow on Claves’ bell
And shadows walk upon the road
When water blackens in the well
Three Swords must come again.

When Bukken from the earth do creep
And Hunën from the heights descend
When Nightmare throttles peaceful sleep

To turn the stride of treading Fate
To clear the fogging Mists of Time
If Early shall resist too Late
— Nisses, Du Svardenvyrd

No whistling on the slog!

Camlost

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 10:08:09 pm »
Terminus Est from Book of the New Sun
Another good one, and a reminder I need to finish the latter half of that series.
Also Burn's Hammer comes to mind.
Forgot about that one. It definitely has some heavy moments attached to it. Rake's brothers carry some pretty cool blades too. Vengeance has a fairly interesting role
Tolkien: Glamdring (Gandalf) Sting (Bilbo+Frodo) Orcwrist (Thorin) - I know there are a load more I just cant think of them.
Wondered how long before Tolkien would make an appearance on the list. Middle-Earth is packed with legendary gear. Aragon's sword Andúril, "the blade that was broken", and its reforged counterpart Narsil come to mind

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 11:35:50 pm »
Cool topic! I like many you've mentioned, but my favorite weapons of all-time come from A Land Fit for Heroes. And its not til the final book The Dark Defiles, that they get that special touch.

Archeth, who is half human/Kiriath, has an assortment of Kiriath steel daggers (sharpest product in the world, duh). Long story short, she meets a Warhelm (a machine made by her fathers race used for......war!) and is trained how to properly use them. They are essentially an extension of herself, and when she needs them they will "jump" out of their holders and into her hands. Totally awesome and the names are too. Bandgleam, Quarterless, Laughing Girl, Wraithslayer and Falling Angel. And Ringil's sword Ravensfriend (also Kiriath steel), isn't too shabby either.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 10:21:07 am »
Obviously I'm an idiot and completely forgot what is probably one of the most important weapons in a fantasy series: Stormbringer.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 10:42:55 am »
Seems to be a focus on swords and I just assumed we were doing swords then realised the title is weapons. So I wracked my brains last night and remembered the following:

Robert Jordan: Ashanderie (Matt Cauthon) - Black bladed quarterstaff staff with some cool powers.
David Gemmell: Snaga (Druss) legendary Axe made by The Old Lady - sends the weilder insane and into a bloodlust, Druss was only affected after years and years due to his immense goodness and willpower.
Mythology: Mjollnir (Thor) We all know about the hammer forged from the heart of a dying star. Gungnir (Odin) His badass spear. Hrunting (Beowulf) one of his legendary swords (cannot remember the other.)
Brent Weeks: Curoch - legendary sword.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 10:43:14 am »
I approve of this topic a lot!