PoN and custom leather book bindings (a reality)

• 51 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« on: June 26, 2014, 03:20:19 pm »
UPDATE (March 2016):
I found a way to make it. See the results of my labor here: Custom leather bound: The Darkness that Comes Before.
-------
I dream of one day having made a set of Prince of Nothing books with custom leather bindings, like what Franklin Library used to make. The artwork that is found on the original print covers of PoN, or that is found before the Appendix in each book, would make an incredible cover. There are 3 unique pages, TJE and WLW use the same one as TTT (otherwise I'd want to do all of them).

Unfortunately I don't know if there is anywhere that one might acquire such services.
This site: http://www.bessenberg.com/economy-leather-binding.html , seems like it might be able to, but I haven't bothered contacting them. Regardless, even if they could, I imagine the cost would be astronomical. The unique scroll work/calligraphy and all the "Earwa" text would have to be made as individual stamps, and the detail is pretty high. Even if some of the detail is reduced, its still a lot of custom design and work, so I'll probably never be able to afford it.

But, alas, a man can dream.

For the back cover, at least for TDTCB, I'd probably put Akka's map, not sure about the other two.

If anyone knows of a place that could do something like that, I'd pay handsomely for such a service.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:04:47 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 01:36:49 pm »
I dream of something similar: to have each of my favorite series in an imposing bound, omnibus format. The pages would have to be quite large for longer series, of course. I was very excited when I heard that this was being produced: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/01/the-complete-malazan-series but, alas, it's e-book only :(

Surely some custom book binders could do this, but, yes, it would be quite expensive. Book binding as a hobby is certainly someone that is done, which would bring the price to a more manageable level, but it's a tough skill to master.
witness

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 04:15:40 pm »
You know, I never thought of that. Maybe I'll look into it. I've been looking for a hobby :P

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 04:12:35 am »
Hey Wilshire, it just occurred to me that there might be universities who can do this or who can connect you to people that can?  Perhaps if TSA could get together a bulk order it wouldn't be so expensive???

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 12:12:42 pm »
Do universities tend to have publishing capabilities? I've never heard of that.

Certainly a bulk order would be cheaper. The issue is that every stamp would need to be custom made and individually designed. This will make the initial one far more expensive, but if even a few copies were ordered at once, that initial cost could be spread out somewhat (potentially). I still imagine it would be rather expensive. I think the book that I had done, which was leather and had somewhat minimal markings, ran me something like $50 or $75. What I have described would cost many times that (for the initial set).

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 05:25:53 pm »
I mean the Universities have to have contacts in the binding world!  So much custom binding for dissertations and rebound old works and such.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 02:31:37 am »
Preliminary results suggest about 600 to 750 per book, about half is for the labor and half for the materials. Additionally  there would be the cost of a graphic designer, which would be another 300-500. I'm still reaching out to people to get quotes, but I happen to know a great graphic designer that could probably do it for me for free, or for like 100.

"Books for All Time" told me they wouldn't be able to do it, but then one I posted earlier, Bessenberg Bindery, gave a positive response, and tentatively quoted me  the numbers I wrote above.

I'm waiting for a response, but that 600-750 might actually drop 200 on each end due to "one-time" costs. Meaning, best case, the "cost" is  about 500 per book, but I'll likely pay a few hundred more than that for some of the one-time things (dies, molds, graphic designer, etc.)

I wouldn't be able to front that kind of money any time soon, but if anyone else is interested, those are the numbers I've seen so far. Obviously, buying multiple copies at once would possibly allow for a discount. If anyone is ever interested, let me know, even if its 5 years from now.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 05:36:59 pm »
Officially logging my interest for a purchase in a few years.  Get on the pretty book train y'all!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 06:57:40 pm »
It does look like the die cost is one-time, so basically you are looking at $400-$600 for parts and labor, maybe more or less if you go with better or cheaper materials (also, still very rough estimate). You can look at what they have on their site for examples. Maybe I'll call the fellow I've been emailing

Apparently I would be the "owner" of the stamp and artwork, so if you'd like to get a book and not pay the 600+ for the artist and stamp you would have to go through me... Not really sure how that would all work, and that isn't what I expected them to tell me :P, but I suppose thats how they do it.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 08:21:03 pm »
Oh, also, it appears that the costs above are for their premium service, which is full leather. They offer an economy option for their books with starting prices 1/5th of the full-leather (for materials). I assume the cost of labor also decreases with this option, and the price might drop in half, to like 200-300 per book (again, ignoring the one-time costs).

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 12:28:24 am »
I'll start saving then once the series is finished we can use it as a lever to make Bakker meet us as we present him with one ;)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 02:24:58 am »
That is a great idea. Would love to make him one.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 04:13:53 am »
I'll start saving then once the series is finished we can use it as a lever to make Bakker meet us as we present him with one ;)

GOLD!!!

themerchant has found the way

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 01:47:32 pm »
Well then any money that is made over the cost of the stamp/designer from people ordering will go towards making a nice set for Bakker.