• 20 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« on: March 12, 2018, 06:51:27 pm »
With the field of 68 set, now is time to fill out a bracket and pray to the gods. I thought it would be fun to have a TSA bracket. Let me know who is interested and ill set it up at yahoo!. You need to know nothing about college basketball to do it and do it well. Most people who win their brackets pick based off of color or such. So, lets do this.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:05:31 pm »
Is Warren Buffet doing his $1million thing this year? He's had a standing offer for the last few years for anyone who submits a perfect bracket. Can't recall if its been claimed or not.

EDIT:
Oh, way better, $1million/year for life, but only for his employees

money.cnn.com/2018/03/11/news/companies/selection-sunday-bracket-warren-buffett-berkshire-hathaway/

other prizes exist, including 100k for the best bracket

Buffett held his first bracket competition in 2014. The inaugural contest, which was open to the public, offered a grand prize of $1 billion for anyone who could correctly pick the winners of all the games. No one won.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:11:53 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 07:14:03 pm »
Thanks for the history! You in?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 07:17:26 pm »
No thanks. Just sharing :) . Never done a bracket for any sporting event, gotta keep the streak alive.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 01:21:22 am »
No thanks. Just sharing :) . Never done a bracket for any sporting event, gotta keep the streak alive.

POS!

I'm in! Easy win for you'all since I pick my favorite teams, not who I think will win.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 01:25:32 am »
Pm me your email for yahoo. Just might be me and you but meh. Or I add to my hometown league with one other person

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 03:01:27 pm »
I'm in, MSJ. Sending you my email via PM.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 02:39:34 pm »
March Madness 2018
Round of 64, Day 1.

Tao: 11-5
BFK: 11-5
MSJ: 10-6

"Chalk": 13-3 (all favorites)

Notes:

TaoHorror's Bracket:
Tao picked 4 lower-seeded teams to upset (9, 9, 10 and 12). Tao was 1-3 on his upset picks.
Tao picked 12 higher-seeded teams to win, and he was 10-2 on these picks.

BFK's Bracket:
BFK picked 6 lower-seeded teams (9, 9, 11, 11, 12, 14), and he went 2-4 on his upset picks.
BFK picked 10 higher-seeded teams, and he went 9-1 on these picks.

MSJ's Bracket:
MSJ picked 5 lower-seeded teams (9, 9, 10, 11, 12), and he went 1-4 on his upset picks.
MSJ picked 11 higher-seeded teams, and he went 9-2 on these picks.

"Chalk" Bracket:
The "Chalk" (i.e., all favorites winning) went 13-3. The only upsets were:
1. Alabama (9) over Virginia Tech [8] [Tao, BFK, MSJ]
2. Loyola Chicago (11) over Miami (6) [BFK]
3. Buffalo (13) over Arizona (4) [no one]

Random observations:

1. Despite our lack of fear regarding picking underdogs, none of us snagged the Buffalo upset of Arizona.

2. The Chalk is hard to beat!

3. The competition is wide open. MSJ lost a Final Four team (Arizona). Tao lost an Elite Eight team (Miami).
Slight edge to BFK: His bracket is largely intact.

On to Day Two!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:57:55 pm by BeardFisher-King »
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 08:01:05 pm »
BFK, just started. Zona hurt though.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 07:06:46 pm »
March Madness 2018: The TSA Edition

Round of 64, complete.

Tao: 24-8 (24 points)
BFK: 22-10 (22 points)
MSJ: 21-11 (21 points)

"Chalk": 23-9 (23 points)

Tao's Bracket:

Tao picked 20 favorites and went 20-5.
Tao picked 7 upsets (9, 9, 9, 9, 10, 10, and 12) and went 4-3.

Notes:
1. Who picks all of the #9 seeds to win?Tao, of course, and the #9s went 3-1. Nice play!

2. The Virginia catastrophe salted Tao's bracket, as Tao picked Virginia to win it all. Since the points in the coming rounds are weighted, Tao just saw a lot of his chips get pulled off the table.

3. Best upset pick: #10 Butler over #7 Arkansas.

4. Tao beat the Chalk! Nice!

BFK's Bracket:

BFK picked 23 favorites and went 18-5.
BFK picked 9 upsets (9, 9, 10, 11, 11, 11, 12, 12, 14) and went 4-5.

Notes:
1. As "Chalk" tells us, there were 9 upsets in the Round of 64. BFK only got 4 correct. Sigh.

2. BFK survived the Virginia catastrophe,  since he picked them to lose in the SECOND round. So his bracket is unscathed and his prospects going forward are good.

3. Best upset pick: BFK nailed TWO #11 seed upsets: Loyola Chicago and Syracuse (who entered the tourney on a "play-in" game, so.....pure effing luck). Hey, when you pick NINE upsets.....!

MSJ's Bracket:

MSJ picked 22 favorites and went 17-5.
MSJ picked 10 upsets (9, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 11, 11, 12) and went 4-6.

Notes:
1. Who picks all of the #10 seeds to upset? MSJ does! But they let him down,  going 1-3.

2. MSJ's South region bracket is salted. #1 Virginia, #4 Arizona, #6 Miami .... all gone.

3. Best upset pick: MSJ also got the Butler and Syracuse upsets right. Nice!

On to the Round of 32!

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 09:15:48 pm »
Boy, I crashed into a ditch early, my #1 pick to win it all out in the first round, that is fricken hilarious - never happened to me before, so this is historic epic fail. My 1st place status won't last long, just an odd anomaly. Once consolation, I'm ahead of the Chalk at this point in time.

BFK - your pick of Virginia exiting stage left in the 2nd round is the ballsiest pick to come true I've seen in a long time, the fact it came the round before does nothing to tarnish that incredible upset pick. The slog of picks! Very well done! What did you see in them that clued you into how weak they were?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:21:30 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 10:17:53 pm »
Just dumb luck, Tao. My focus in that region was Kentucky, an old fave of mine. St. Louis hosted the SEC tourney, and Kentucky fans invaded STL big-time. Plus, I really thought Creighton would make a small run (Big East school, strong)...wrong! Anyway, I had Creighton beating Virginia in the Round of 32. Neither team made it! That's funny!

No, I saw nothing. Just half-assed intuition and an SEC/Kentucky bias. That's how you avoid the Apocalypse!

Looks like you need your surviving picks to really deliver, Tao.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 11:37:49 pm »
Hey, I picked Butler!

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 04:40:07 am »
Just checking out possible points and I still have a real chance. Only two people picked MSU, I believe.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 09:20:39 pm »
Quote from:  BFK
No, I saw nothing. Just half-assed intuition and an SEC/Kentucky bias. That's how you avoid the Apocalypse.

Ughh, and to think I used to like you....