• 3 Replies

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« on: October 22, 2018, 07:32:40 pm »
Unsnarling the World-Knot - Consciousness, Freedom, and the Mind-Body Problem

This book suggests both a formal procedure for making progress on the mind-body problem and a substantive solution to it, with special attention to consciousness and freedom. The mind-body problem, which Arthur Schopenhauer called the "world-knot," has arguably been the central problem in modern philosophy since its inception in the seventeenth century. With regard to the twentieth century in particular, John Searle in The Rediscovery of the Mind (1992) has expressed his considered judgment that, "contrary to surface appearances, there really has been only one major topic of discussion in the philosophy of mind for the past fifty years or so, and that is the mind-body problem" (RM, 29).

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 11:27:11 pm »
Hmm, sounds interesting. Get a file not found error now with the buy button though. Maybe amazon can help me..

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 02:11:20 am »
Sciborg2 ... we're waiting for your surprise answer to the Mind-Body "problem".  ;)

I'm with R on this one, we still don't know where our thoughts come from.

Apologies, I'm out of my depth with the links you share, which are awesome and very much appreciate you sharing them, just wish I had something intelligent to contribute  :-[

So if no one responds, doesn't mean we're not digging it  :)
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 07:16:59 am »
Sciborg2 ... we're waiting for your surprise answer to the Mind-Body "problem".  ;)

I'm with R on this one, we still don't know where our thoughts come from.

Apologies, I'm out of my depth with the links you share, which are awesome and very much appreciate you sharing them, just wish I had something intelligent to contribute  :-[

So if no one responds, doesn't mean we're not digging it  :)

Heh I've no idea either...I can spend a day on single page of philosophy.

I've just tried casting a wide net, to see what interesting things might be out there, but have no real expertise to offer.