'Floating' meaning and music videos

• 12 Replies

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« on: October 06, 2016, 07:26:54 pm »
I kind of look at music videos as a way of comparing a lot of other peacock feather activity in culture - a lot of 'look at my fitness indicators, they be fit!' indicators. I say it in a mocking way but with some affection (it's best to keep a sense of humor about things you care for, I think)

Okay, if I were to plot this in tribal terms though - ie, to think where would the behavior be applicable if we were to go back ten thousand years - well, to me dancing around and displaying would be something you do when you have a very solid food supply. Indeed, in order to show you have a very solid food supply (as dancing requires calories, so it's a fairly strong proof demonstration - the starving don't dance).In this context I'd consider this a reasonably functional behavior, myself.

So we can take it in the tribal context that
1. The dancer has a good food supply that they control - enough that they can burn calories on dancing
2. They are dancing - indeed, dancing about their food supply control

So, back to music videos. Taking it to be fitness display behavior and that's why the music and dance is worth a damn to watch. But what about number 1?
1. ?
2. They are dancing and singing

Okay, so maybe you like the band who is in the music video. Okay, so how do they get their food - how do they control their food supply? What is fit about them?

Apart from appearing fit so you buy their CD's and they use that money to buy food and mansions/more display stuff. Which, you realise, has nothing to do with actually being fit - it just has to do with triggering your sense of fitness when that's not the situation at all.

So meaning floats, sheered away from it's anchor #1, that rested in owning a food supply.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 05:01:10 pm »
You ever read about fitness indicators?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 06:33:15 am »
Non sequitur question, Mike?

*throws dart at dartboard full of definitions* by that definition of read, yes, I've read about fitness indicators :)

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 09:17:57 am »
The whole world right now is about people displaying themselves or their stuff, not just music "videos".
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 12:04:04 pm »

*throws dart at dartboard full of definitions* by that definition of read, yes, I've read about fitness indicators :)

What about fitness?

I thought it was on topic but fuck me, right?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 09:54:37 pm »

What about fitness?

Why 'fuck me'? Just asked if it was non sequitur and I answered, in a self depreciating way, that I'd read about fitness indicators. Just answered as best I could. What was a right answer to give, if not mine?

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 10:24:36 pm »
The whole world right now is about people displaying themselves or their stuff, not just music "videos".
True, but they hide behind more and more layers of ambiguity so pointing them out is difficult. Better to use a clear cut example, then it's easier for folk to extrapolate from there to uncover the more ambiguous examples.

So yeah, that everyone is sheering away in what they fitness they display Vs how they actually get their food and shelter, that's my main point. Economies - ie, the way you get food and shelter, based on ignoring how you get food and shelter.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 11:53:52 pm »
True, but they hide behind more and more layers of ambiguity so pointing them out is difficult. Better to use a clear cut example, then it's easier for folk to extrapolate from there to uncover the more ambiguous examples.

So yeah, that everyone is sheering away in what they fitness they display Vs how they actually get their food and shelter, that's my main point. Economies - ie, the way you get food and shelter, based on ignoring how you get food and shelter.
I agree with you there. So the whole world is one big complex music video with the actors not really knowing what they are doing.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:57:00 pm by Redeagl »
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 03:53:34 am »
Are you saying all the world's a stage? Only a crazy person would say that! ;)

The issue is, back in Shakespears time actual paid actors were definitely the minority - generally if people showed signs of fitness, it's because they had some capacity to actually survive themselves.

Rather than surviving by appearing to be able to survive, as is more and more the case now.

I see it in the local art scenes - all the pretty things the local artists make, shiny things that make the world seem a big happy land - hoping to sell these tokens that say the world is good, so they don't get closer to starving. I'm reminded of one woman selling the happy fairy wings - while going through breast cancer treatment (though we have health care to cover that here, it'll slide her backwards in terms of selling goods)

And currently how fabulous is it to have grown vegetables or keep chickens and get your own eggs - it's just not as sexy as a music video, yet it's actual fitness.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 07:15:43 pm »

What about fitness?

Why 'fuck me'? Just asked if it was non sequitur and I answered, in a self depreciating way, that I'd read about fitness indicators. Just answered as best I could. What was a right answer to give, if not mine?

It's a statement borne out of working in kitchens. Something said when you, your words, or your ideas are dismissed without consideration.

EDIT: In the interest of communicative clarity, you could have asked me what I meant and how my thought might have related to your opening post, if that wasn't clear to you.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:18:57 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 02:36:07 am »
I'd say I did. From what I've seen of restaurant kitchens from friends working in them, the culture isn't healthy IMO - if some butthead in the kitchens has summarily dismissed you at some point, I don't know why his sin gets transferred to me. It's not the way to treat one and other, but from what I've seen of kitchens that sort of behavior is instead normalized and people treated as if they deserve it somehow when they don't.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 02:12:10 pm »
Yeah, I'm not getting into a conversation about my personal life with you so that you can make judgements or generalizations about me.

Carry on, I'll see myself out of this thread.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 02:22:11 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 03:39:34 pm »
You're both at fault. If you'd like to discuss why, feel free to PM me, otherwise, this thread is done. Feel free to repost.
One of the other conditions of possibility.