ARC: TDTCB, Chapter 9

• 7 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« on: June 03, 2018, 11:14:04 pm »
It's already technically Monday over here, so let the discussion begin!

And the Nonman King cried words that sting:
"Now to me you must confess,
For death above you hovers!"
And the Emissary answered ever wary:
"We are the race of flesh,
We are the race of lovers."

--"BALLAD OF THE INCHOROI", ANCIENT KÛNIÜRI FOLK SONG
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:33:13 pm »
Not sure I have too much to say about this Chapter. 

Does Esme really love Akka, bearing in mind what happens later?
"Please Akka, I need you!"  But this was a lie, she knew, and the bewildered resentment in his eyes meant he knew as well.  She was a prostitute, and prostitutes hardened themselves to men, all men, out of necessity. No.  As much as she feared losing Achamian, what she feared more was the prospect of returning to her old life, to the endless succession of hunger, anguished glares, and spilt seed.  She wanted the Schools!  The Great Factions!  She wanted Achamian, yes, but she wanted his life more.

Inrau's death is assumed to be suicide, but Psammatus doesn't seem convinced.

We find out what a 'race of lovers' can do, and that Akka has anticipated that people would come after Esme.  We learn later on of his jealously of her other customers
That cry is mine!  Mine!
.  It is implied that the Consult 'love machine' is the Synthese from Part 1 - the flapping of wings - or the same sort of creature.  The visit from the Consult gives Esme teh impetus she needs to leave Suman and go after Akka.

Akka is in empty Sudica.  Just
sheep and half-buried stone
.  Reminds me of Gondor, which was also notably underpopulated.

If Inrau had in fact committed suicide, then Achamian would be his murderer... Find the rope Akka, find it now
  Bleak

Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 07:41:47 pm »
If Inrau had in fact committed suicide, then Achamian would be his murderer... Find the rope Akka, find it now
  Bleak

The sad thing is whilst Inrau did actually commit suicide, he did it to protect Akka, not because he was driven to it by Akka
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 07:42:21 pm »
Not sure I have too much to say about this Chapter. 

More than anybody else though ;D
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 07:01:15 pm »

I know, I know, I'm pretty late with my comment, but I'll get to it when I can (and reply to yours right after I add mine). ;) But I definitely have things to say about this chapter.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 08:01:43 pm »

I know, I know, I'm pretty late with my comment, but I'll get to it when I can (and reply to yours right after I add mine). ;) But I definitely have things to say about this chapter.

I wasn't criticizing. ;)
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 08:21:20 pm »
I wasn't criticizing. ;)

I know that, but I wanted to say something about it anyway. :)

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 06:05:03 am »
Achamian often made such maps — not because he worried he might forget something, but because he worried he might overlook something. Visualizing the connections, he found, always suggested further possible connections. Moreover, this simple exercise had often proved a valuable guide for his inquiries in the past. The crucial difference this time, however, was that instead of naming individuals and their connections to some petty agenda, this map named Great Factions and their connections to a Holy War. The scale of this mystery, the stakes, far exceeded anything he had encountered before... aside from his dreams.

His breath caught.

A prelude to the Second Apocalypse? Could it be?
The foreshadowing!