• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:39:04 pm »
Alright, folks.

In order to assure that this happens and that people have a chance to organize their lives around a Slog to London, Ontario, Canada, I'm going to go ahead with scheduling without Bakker's explicit confirmation. He has previously committed verbally but not to any specific weekend - though, I picked a date as to avoid the long weekend in August, when he'll likely be at a cottage. I will follow up with him when I'm back in London and I'm almost sure that he'll respond positively but regardless I know at least the Ishoiya crowd from last year's meet-up at Wilshire's are planning on coming.

I just had a fantastic conversation with the event coordinator at the Holiday Inn and I'm not sure that memponti (the moment in conversation) could have yielded more in our favour.

What I need now are commitment responses so I know it's worth our efforts to push forward.

So...

What: Zaudunyanicon 2017

When: August Fri, 11 – Sun, 13

Where: Holiday Inn, 855 Wellington Road South, London, ON N6E 3N5, Canada

It is near the expressway from Toronto (YYZ) but, probably at a prohibitive price, people can also fly into London (YXU). I know a couple people mentioned renting cars in groups from Toronto.

I've been able to tentatively book an event room for 40 people. If positive responses somehow overwhelm that number I will check back in with our event coordinator and she said there are other options to accommodate us, though I believe we had 25ish tentative responses the first time Wilshire and I checked around about this. I will add that she is absolutely thrilled to host an event for book readers, which she thought was a very unique request.

If Bakker commits, I've asked that he plan a talk (with a captive audience of fans in mind, which will be a first for him) followed by a Q&A Friday evening after the majority of people check-in. Either way, there will be a number of us who hit the hotel bar or a nearby restaurant Friday night.

Either way, Saturday shortly after noon, I've planned a sit-down mingle in our event space and we're looking at catering options. If Bakker is in attendance, this will be your opportunity to get your precious preciouses (books) signed. Camlost and I are also looking into cool themed swag ideas, though be lenient with us as we've never tackled anything like this on our own (Wilshire, GJ, Camlost, MG, myself) (though, I've been involved in executing hundreds of these types of events, weddings, banquets, etc, in my tenure as a cook under some of my old chefs).

Late Saturday afternoon/evening again, I think it likely that we'll hit the hotel bar or a nearby restaurant.

Sunday, of course, will be checkout day and everyone will have made plans to flee the city and/or country and slog back to their respective locales.

At 25 people, the approximate cost of tickets will be $35 (which will include food on Saturday afternoon). The more people that confirm, the lower we can make that. The event coordinator did some amazing finagling and was able to get me a group rate on rooms at $109 a night, per person. Depending on the response to this post, I can block off as many as 70 rooms for that weekend with no-obligation withdrawals up to July 11 (one month before the event). I need to confirm with her by June 26th in order to lock everything in so please let me know as soon as possible. After that you'll be able to call the hotel and book with the code "Zaudunyanicon" to be offered the group rate. Both Wilshire and GJ - who may not even attend - have both graciously offered to cover the deposit on the event room/catering and I'll follow up with confirmed attendees in a couple weeks after we lock this down in order to sort out ticket payment.

Whew!

So... sound off! Let's make the first official Zaudunyanicon a real thing!

P.S. Obviously, I will update as soon as I have word from Bakker, one way or another. Bakker confirmed! - link
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:23:46 pm by Wilshire »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 10:33:31 pm »
Sounds so fun. I undoubtedly will not be able to attend unless I can strike gold or win the lottery. Just purchased a new home and go on vacation first weekend of Aug. I would love to attend and mingle with all the great folks I've met here at SA. Maybe, just maybe I could take a small 401k loan and convince the wife it's worth it, to me. Which she knows it is. Yet, at this point my life, with three kids money is a major issue. Maybe I should write a fantasy series, no? Lol. ;)

Anyways, even though I find it unlikely I attend I wish you guys the best and have a great turnout. I find it noble of you guys to take this upon yourself. Maybe one day...
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

pail

• Nascenti
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 03:12:11 pm »
pail's presence presently planned.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 03:29:58 pm »
pail's presence presently planned.

Thanks, pail. "pail's presence presently planned, possibly pending penman's presence." ;)

Dream to live, MSJ. I would love to see you there :).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 03:39:32 pm »
Sounds so fun. I undoubtedly will not be able to attend unless I can strike gold or win the lottery. Just purchased a new home and go on vacation first weekend of Aug. I would love to attend and mingle with all the great folks I've met here at SA. Maybe, just maybe I could take a small 401k loan and convince the wife it's worth it, to me. Which she knows it is. Yet, at this point my life, with three kids money is a major issue. Maybe I should write a fantasy series, no? Lol. ;)

Anyways, even though I find it unlikely I attend I wish you guys the best and have a great turnout. I find it noble of you guys to take this upon yourself. Maybe one day...
Hey MSJ don't be sad, your brother Redeagl can't even attend though he doesn't have a wife nor any children. Who knows?  maybe we will both  win lotteries and strike gold before Zaudunyannicon :P
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 03:51:59 pm »

Hey MSJ don't be sad, your brother Redeagl can't even attend though he doesn't have a wife nor any children. Who knows?  maybe we will both  win lotteries and strike gold before Zaudunyannicon :P

MSJ, don't take a loan out of your 401k *shudders*.

I think we should make a pact that if anyone wins the lottery from now till August that said winner will fund the travel of our TSA friends to Zaudunyanicon.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 05:02:09 pm »
Wilshire, Redeagl and Madness, thank you all for your sympathies. I doubt I touch my 401k, tbh. Just things like vacation and such are planned well ahead of time and monies also set aside for those things. I'm gonna see if I can finagle a little extra here and there and see what I can do.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 05:14:41 pm »

Hey we had a Powerball go off for 450 mil here in the US on Saturday. I had a few tickets, I won 8 dollars combined. I'm setting it aside for MSJ and Redeagl's fund for Zaudunyannicon.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 08:53:22 am »
I''ll check my lottery ticket right now... nope only one number.

Friday next draw.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 11:48:06 pm »
ok, my peeps - can't believe I'm actually going down this path given the scratch involved to make it happen, but the wife is on board, so it's possible - and my passport is still good. Has Bakker committed to attending? What is the travel logistics? Better to fly directly into London or fly elsewhere and get cab/public transportation to the hotel? Can someone share the hotel info? I need to call them to see if they can support my dietary restrictions ( lucky me has Celiac - cannot eat gluten, nor can I allow any to get in me via cross contamination ). Not 100% I can go just yet, but looking at the numbers and options. Do we have a headcount yet?

I do not have the time/intellect to read all the shit Bakker and the rest of you have read on philosophy and the like, so this would be an amazing treat for me, I love this stuff ( would be so much fun to hear it from the man himself on how all philosophers have missed the mark given they were attacking without a Mathesis Pin  ;) ).
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 01:05:57 pm »
ok, my peeps - can't believe I'm actually going down this path given the scratch involved to make it happen, but the wife is on board, so it's possible - and my passport is still good. Has Bakker committed to attending? What is the travel logistics? Better to fly directly into London or fly elsewhere and get cab/public transportation to the hotel? Can someone share the hotel info? I need to call them to see if they can support my dietary restrictions ( lucky me has Celiac - cannot eat gluten, nor can I allow any to get in me via cross contamination ). Not 100% I can go just yet, but looking at the numbers and options. Do we have a headcount yet?

I'm actually calling today to finalize our offer, TH.

The hotel information is in the first post of this thread. It's been told to me that flying into London direct is prohibitive but maybe not, I haven't done any research.

Coming from Toronto, it'd probably be smart to arrange with other flyers to rent a car from Toronto to London.

Headcount without Bakker is under the 20ish who first declared when we started this. I'm probably going to block off thirty rooms - I'd be cancelling those unbooked by the day of July 11th - today when I talk to our event planner and then people can begin booking. As mentioned, Tao, in the first post, I highlighted that room rate would be $109 CAN a night, which will be available with the booking with the code "Zaudunyani" (thus precipitating a number of frustrating and hilarious interactions between front desk and guests ;)).

I haven't discussed any food with them yet, I'll inquire today. I do know that the hotel will be able to properly deal with celiac handling.

Bakker has confirmed with me again verbally but that just isn't enough evidence for folks waiting internationally - I totally get it. Hopefully, if and when he actually locks down the weekend, he'll post about it.

I do not have the time/intellect to read all the shit Bakker and the rest of you have read on philosophy and the like, so this would be an amazing treat for me, I love this stuff ( would be so much fun to hear it from the man himself on how all philosophers have missed the mark given they were attacking without a Mathesis Pin  ;) ).

Lol, indeed.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:08:02 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 01:40:14 pm »
Thank you, Madness - Bakker posts here or in 3 pound brain or elsewhere?
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 02:00:03 pm »
Thank you, Madness - Bakker posts here or in 3 pound brain or elsewhere?

He does have an account and has posted here - but no, if word is going to come from him directly, it'll be TPB.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Vegetables

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 02:43:11 am »
I live in London, Ontario So I will absolutely be attending. Likely can get my brother to come too.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 11:50:57 am »
I live in London, Ontario So I will absolutely be attending. Likely can get my brother to come too.
Awesome. The more the merrier.
One of the other conditions of possibility.