Hello

• 4 Replies

Muadib Targaryen

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: July 20, 2014, 06:55:58 am »
I've never joined a forum before.  I had also never finished an entire fantasy series in one summer, or reread any book, much less five.  Bakker has provided the motivation for many firsts.

I've just started reading through the forum and wanted to comment, but felt I should earn the privilege by reading all the intro threads (Hilarious! (Finally somebody gets the joke. (None of my friends are hard core enough for these books.))) and introducing myself.

I'm 30 and from Iowa. I'm a lifelong student. I study meditation, yoga, kung fu, theatre, Alexander Technique, psychology, Shiatzu, languages, linguistics, neuro linguistic programming... and whatever else I happen to ADD out on.  This has given me an interesting framework from which to muse over Bakker's work and the teachings of the Dûnyain. 

I also suffer from delusions of grandeur, so I have often thought of pursuing Übermensch status. Reading SA has simply fed into these delusions and caused me to obsess over my ability to manipulate people, events, and my own consciousness.  Other series have encouraged me in a similar way, but none so profoundly. I am a fan of Dune and GoT. Also enjoy Neil Gaiman's work and wanna give a shout out to the Earth Sea fans.  I'm not really a reader though, so I'm kinda behind on all the other authors.

I look forward to discussing crazy theories/philosophies and real life techniques analogous to those of the Dünyain... as well as reading theories on the origin/nature of the Dünyain and what has happened to them.

-Cheers

PS- Thanks to all the old school cats keeping it real and making things possible.

"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent, a man need only strike another to make him evil."

—NULLA VOGNEAS, THE CYNICATA
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:09:15 am by Muadib Targaryen »

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 11:54:17 am »
Hi Muadib Targaryen!  I'm in my 30's and over in IL!  Got to second you on Gaiman and Earthsea.  I wonder if the Thousand Thousand Halls is like the dark labyrinth from book 2?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 02:34:04 pm »
Awesome to have you with us MT. Don't feel the need to read all the posts of any thread before you start participating. At this point, there are too many posts and too few posters. If anything, I'd like to read your thoughts before they have been poisoned by the crazy that has become this forum. Too much waiting and talking with the same people, without the sustenance of new books we crave new perspectives.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:09:02 pm »
Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Muadib.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:33:11 pm »
Contains spoilers for both TSA and Dune, but if you enjoyed both I'd point you to here, and of course suggest you participate ;)

http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=889.0
One of the other conditions of possibility.