atrithau

• 9 Replies

geoint

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: July 01, 2015, 07:50:48 am »
So I have been wondering why the millions upon millions of sranc have never destroyed atrithau.  It just seems strange to me.  I know that atrithau is an arcane ground but if anything you'd think that would work against them- as the sranc will always win in pure numbers games (ok not always but almost). 

The more I think about it the more I wonder if the Consult wanted some humans nearby to survive.  Maybe to provide them with slaves or rape victims or just to play with in other ways.  What do you guys think?

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 11:01:57 am »
Well, coincidentally (and by that I mean, no way it's a coincidence) the two places that "survive" the Apocalypse are Atrithau and Sakarpus.

Atrithau is built on Anarcane ground and Sakarpus has the Chorae Hoard.

As for why this would 'save' them, I'm not sure though.  My guess it is they interfered with the Consult C&C (command and control).

In fact, here is a crackpot theory: Chorae are blind-spots to the No-God.  That's why the carapace is covered in them and why he is constantly asking, "What do you see?"
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 12:10:44 pm »
I have wondered this for a while. The anarcane ground may potentially have a positive effect for the defenders during the apocalypse, since the hoards of sranc were not so great, and the  Consult needed the no-god to control them. Its possible that its walls and landscape are ideal for defending against sranc hordes.

As for why it would stand the test of ages, I have no idea. Like you said, in more recent years-of-the-tusk, the masses of sranc, I would think, would eventually ravage those walls. Without sorcery nukes to hold them off, it would seem like they wouldn't have much of a chance.

It could just be that Atrithau, just like every other human city, survives simply because the sranc have not be wielded en mass since the First Apocalypse. Sure they like to kill/eat/rape humans, but there isn't a big enough driver to band together and assault a fortress/city. At this point, if the Consult found some need to destroy a city, especially Atrithau, it probably could figure it out, but to what end? AFAIK, there is nothing interesting there, not even the Mandate proselytizing against the Consult on street corners. In the grand scheme, cities are nothing, especially when they are heavily infiltrated by skin-spies and the like.

In fact, here is a crackpot theory: Chorae are blind-spots to the No-God.  That's why the carapace is covered in them and why he is constantly asking, "What do you see?"

Nice.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 03:49:56 pm »
It could just be that Atrithau, just like every other human city, survives simply because the sranc have not be wielded en mass since the First Apocalypse. Sure they like to kill/eat/rape humans, but there isn't a big enough driver to band together and assault a fortress/city. At this point, if the Consult found some need to destroy a city, especially Atrithau, it probably could figure it out, but to what end? AFAIK, there is nothing interesting there, not even the Mandate proselytizing against the Consult on street corners. In the grand scheme, cities are nothing, especially when they are heavily infiltrated by skin-spies and the like.

I think this is pretty much the reason.  Sranc alone, even in numbers, aren't a good match against a walled city.  While they do seem to have the facility to craft basic arms, I couldn't imagine them mounting a siege without the help of Bashrag, Wracu or sorcery. 

Beyond that, since the FA, the Consult seems to have taken great pains to avoid a direct confrontation that might incite the world of Men to unite against them.  Their greatest weapon, on the other hand, seems to have been pitting Men against each other.

It's strange that the No-God let both Sakarpus (spared) and Atrithau (survived) stand during the FA.  And it seems like those cities' respective sorcery countermeasures must be involved somehow!

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:01:54 pm »
The more I think about it the more I wonder if the Consult wanted some humans nearby to survive.  Maybe to provide them with slaves or rape victims or just to play with in other ways.  What do you guys think?
I think they needed some outskirts of human civilisation to deploy spies earlier and skins-spies later.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 06:21:25 pm »
Besides my crack-pot theory, there is the pragmatic idea that Atrithau and Sakarpus were spared simply due to them just not being worth the effort.  Considering that sorcery wouldn't work in either place it would have taken more to breach the walls and level it by mundane means.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

geoint

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:18:58 am »

I think this is pretty much the reason.  Sranc alone, even in numbers, aren't a good match against a walled city.  While they do seem to have the facility to craft basic arms, I couldn't imagine them mounting a siege without the help of Bashrag, Wracu or sorcery. 

Beyond that, since the FA, the Consult seems to have taken great pains to avoid a direct confrontation that might incite the world of Men to unite against them.  Their greatest weapon, on the other hand, seems to have been pitting Men against each other.

It's strange that the No-God let both Sakarpus (spared) and Atrithau (survived) stand during the FA.  And it seems like those cities' respective sorcery countermeasures must be involved somehow!

In Sorweels chapters we hear that every year at least one outpost is overrun by Sranc and thats WAY further south (the further south you go the less sranc).  So I find it hard to believe the Sranc couldn't take the city without sorcerous help.  I think the Consult intentionally keeps Sranc away from Atrithau for some reason. 

Now obviously, the hinge of my argument is how fortified are Sakarpus' outposts.  And I have no idea what the answer to that is

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 01:25:36 am »
Outpost =/= city. An outpost of just a couple of wooden shacks and maybe a wooden fence. A city requires siege towers to reach the top of walls that are many feet thick.

Also note, sranc are drawn to population centers, and I'd guess especially so towards poorly defended ones. There may be more up north, but there is more of a draw to the south.

geoint

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 04:23:18 pm »
That's a good point.  However you'd think that knowing what they know about sranc they'd focus their resources on having less outposts and seriously fortifying those they do keep.  Just imagine being given orders to report to some outpost right on the border lol.  I'd rather go back to Afghanistan than possibly (or almost surely) get raped/eaten/killed by sranc

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 04:48:54 pm »
That's a good point.  However you'd think that knowing what they know about sranc they'd focus their resources on having less outposts and seriously fortifying those they do keep.  Just imagine being given orders to report to some outpost right on the border lol.  I'd rather go back to Afghanistan than possibly (or almost surely) get raped/eaten/killed by sranc
People are ever optimistic. "hey there haven't been any sranc in this area for years. I think its safe to start a new town here". But thats what the srancs what you to think.