MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« on: July 23, 2017, 11:59:05 pm »
Quote from:  TUC
Light gleams across a thatch of golden thread, drawing her eye to what appears to be a heavy blanket crumpled across a cot—a kind of field settee to her right. She walks toward it, savouring the feeling of fabric beneath her toes. A terror leaps upon the summit of her breath. Her throat aches.
She clutches the blanket, draws it out like a matron inspecting wares in the market. For a time she draws no breath whatsoever.
The blanket is actually a small ornamental tapestry, supple for the extraordinary quality of the weave. The tapestry itself she has seen before, she realizes. It once hung in the Sartorials, the imperial feast hall near the summit of the Andiamine Heights. But the image ... that she has seen much more recently.
It seems she can even smell it, the moss and rotting bark, the air choked of all motion—the Mop.
A dank socket between trees. A rare shaft of moonlight. Her own reflection across a black pool ... only transformed by the Eye into the very image she now holds in her hands ...
A pregnant woman, her cropped hair all the more black for the plate of brilliant silver about her head.
Blessed.

So, here is the quote on the tapestry, where the Kellhus is Mimara's baby have sprung from. I dont know if that is the case, but i find this a beatiful piece of writing. That this existed in the Momemn the whole time Mimara was there, suggests Kellhus did know of her role as prophetess, maybe. This could just be a tapestry depicting a prophecy that is ancient. I do think Kellhus knew that Mimara was with the Eye and needed her at Golgoterreath. Why? I really have no clue, but lets discuss it. Do you think Kellhus commissioned the Tapestry? Do you think it existed even before Kellhua arrived in the Three-Seas? Its important, that is without question. Would love to hear all of your thoughts.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:14:34 am by H »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 08:26:04 am »
First, I agree with you and think Kellhus knew Mimara had the JE (and in labor) and want her at Golgotterath. Why? I don't know, maybe as plan B if the Kellhus baby theory is right.

Second, if the tapestry is ancient, well, it has lots of implications that I can't fathom properly till I have digested the reading - I'm still in WFT shock.
If it's new that IMHO supports that Kellhus is behind every step Mimara has taken since she left Andiamine Heights.
And for me in any case that implies that Kellhus isn't gone for good.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 11:40:12 am »
That quote is about Mimara seeing herself as holy, and a tapestry depicting this that she saw years (decades?) ago.

That the tapestry is old, ancient even, seems to be implied heavily. This might be some overlooked evidence of that one liner “all prophesies must be followed. Even the false ones.” (or whatever the exact quote is).

Though admittedly, as Woden says, if it was a recent production, that brings a lot of questions. But, until someone can confirm or deny that this is new, I find it unlikely. Is this the first mention of the tapestry, or does it appear elsewhere prior to this?

Mimara is a unique character, and explaining her away as another one of Kellhus’ pawns is a huge mistake (imo).  She is, I might remind everyone, one of only two POVs in the entire series to be written in present tense. Mimara throughout all her scenes, and the couple paragraphs of Yatwer herself which are easy to overlook. Something extraordinary and unusual is going on with her, and while most people are focused on Kellhus because he’s the big shiny coin to look at, Mimara’s mysteries remain largely unexplored. Maybe there’s just too much obfuscation there for anyone to figure her out though *shrug*
One of the other conditions of possibility.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:48:08 pm »
She said herself, Kellhus only pretends to be what she is.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 01:22:42 pm »
She said herself, Kellhus only pretends to be what she is.

He does such a damn good job that no one can tell the difference ;)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 12:15:36 am »
I'm very curious about this tapestry but do not follow it to the Baby-Kellhus conjecture - though, sometimes the dead bounce, apparently.

But yeah. This fucking tapestry. What does it mean?

And where is the Ekkinu?!
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 12:27:55 am »
What's that?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:29:14 am »
Kellhus' sorcerous tapestry from the Eleven-Pole Chamber.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 02:25:26 am »
Yeah, I thought this was a piece of foreshadowing that might be important in TSTSNBN.

But it also serves as a reminder of how prophecies reach back through time to affect the past, given that at that point we are reaching the time from which the Celmoman Prophecy originates, prompting us to reflect on how 'the future has influenced the past' - something Dunyain Kellhus worries about before he succumbs to the Darkness back in WP.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 01:57:46 pm »
Remember they also Flare for no apprent reason from little Kel's point of view. The Ekkinu