[TGO Spoilers] Overall thoughts on the book?

• 25 Replies

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 02:20:21 pm »
After a couple of weeks, what my impression is of the writing is that it seems to me to become more obscure the more it reveals. Which I find interesting. Still trying to maintain mystery and or ambiguity, I guess.
Mystery denotes darkness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 03:35:06 pm »
After a couple of weeks, what my impression is of the writing is that it seems to me to become more obscure the more it reveals. Which I find interesting. Still trying to maintain mystery and or ambiguity, I guess.

I'm sure Bakker would love this thought, Hiro.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Truth Shines

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 02:52:10 am »
Out of curiosity, what makes it not comparable to PoN?

I just mean that Prince of Nothing is an extraordinary breakthrough that pretty much has no peer in the tradition of high fantasy.  Other novels, even in the same series, just won't have that de novo, so to speak, originality.

Truth Shines

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 02:56:02 am »

Ha!  Measure is unceasing!  ;)

I also share this sentiment.  However, I think the key point is that we are not standing still.  The story is answering questions raised previously; however, like a scientific research project, the more we know, the more new questions we are able to ask.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 05:37:06 pm »
Answers, like opium.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

coobek

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 03:33:44 pm »
Ha! I read it yesterday til 2am.

Its good, but some books in the series were better.

++
New stuff - head on the pole and such things, revealing and yet, more questions remain;
Dunyain + son - interesting characters
Narindari
Scylvendi host going to Gollgoterath

+
Achamian/Seswatha and Mimaras pages;
Isterbinth and Sorweel
Gods and their machinations

+/-
Oh my God Cnaiur is alive  :) / Oh No Cnaiur is alive    :'(
Ordeal/Meat and Sranc War - not the best battle writting in the series, but hey there is a lot  to live up to
Meppa is here - upps Meppa is no more

-
Mommemn save the Narindari, the Kelmomans is universally hated character I believe
If Caniur is alive why there is scarcely a word mentioned about Iyokus
I thought there would be more Sheonara guy and his machinations

--
Hey I thought its the last book and there will be No-God and Inchoroi and the main battle, we would know everything and THE END letters will appear.
WHEN IS THE NEXT BOOK COMING? PLEASE TELL ME. WHAT DO YOU SEE.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 03:44:26 pm »
upps Meppa is no more

We don't see Meppa die though, so he probably isn't gone:

Then the Holy Aspect-Emperor of the Three Seas was upon him, hauling him like a thief from market. Malowebi’s gaze caught upon the visage of a Decapitant, then Meppa sprawled semi-conscious across the wine-dark crimson of carpet.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 04:54:36 pm »
WHEN IS THE NEXT BOOK COMING? PLEASE TELL ME. WHAT DO YOU SEE.

Originally Bakker said 'one year after TGO release'. So, with some doubt cast into that estimate because Overlook, I'm hoping for TUC before the end of december 2017. If it doesn't come out before then, I'll abstain from predictions and hope until Bakker releases a concrete date.

Hey I thought its the last book and there will be No-God and Inchoroi and the main battle, we would know everything and THE END letters will appear.

Two things:

1) The book you read was title "The Great Ordeal", not "The Unholy Consult". I'm thinking maybe you didn't hear that this book is now book 3 of 4 in The Aspect Emperor series?

2) Regardless, I think you are forgetting TSTSNBN. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we know TSA was originally conceived as a trilogy, in the form of The Prince of Nothing, The Aspect Emperor, and The Series that Shall Not Be Named.

PoN was split into 3 books, AE into 4 books, and TSTSNBN might be another 5 books, who knows!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:10:39 pm by Wilshire »

coobek

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 07:17:26 pm »
The book you read was title "The Great Ordeal", not "The Unholy Consult". I'm thinking maybe you didn't hear that this book is now book 3 of 4 in The Aspect Emperor series?

Ahh Yes of course it was.
No, I didn't hear, I was expecting THE END.
I was scarcely on the forum for last couple of years. Finally I have forgotten about it existence as man inevitably do...:)

I have never heard or also forgotten that there supposed to be the 3rd namlesss series.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 07:24:57 pm »
Well then, it's a happy day for you ;D . Hopefully Bakker spends many, many more hours writing and publishing books in TSA series.

coobek

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 07:30:46 pm »
Well then, it's a happy day for you ;D

Indeed  :D , Great news.