YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 01:28:09 am »
Finished Chapter 1, Socrates 'wins' because of a deus ex machina appeal to authority that is completely dependent on a Just World Fallacy?

Considering the whole bit was about Justice, now I know another reason why it's called the Just World Fallacy.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 05:07:40 am »
Abandon your convictions, Locke.
Its a debate from a different world, remember.  ;)  That said, I barely remember any of it its been so long...

Finished Planesrunner.  Didn't realise it was YA until I was two chapters in when it became very aparent from the predictable characterisation and plotting.
Doubt I will bother with the sequel, but not too bad if you're into that kind of thing.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 12:13:52 pm »
The chapter ends with socrates saying all people of wealth and power are just people because the gods are just and would never bless an unjust person.  Therefore someones wealth and power is proof that they are inherently good.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 02:38:18 pm »
Yep, damn patricians. 
Only rich folk had the right to vote in ancient Athens, for them it was one of those 'self evident' truths...  seems silly now but...
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 04:00:50 pm »
You know, I'm sure we could start a Republic thread. There are certainly members I can think of who would join us in commenting, if they are engaged and not wandering, looking for trauma... to remember.

A couple thoughts though:

Firstly, +1 Curethan. Time and place - while society hasn't progressed a whole lot since Plato, as Whitehead's quote goes the mass of European philosophy during his time was "a series of footnotes to Plato."

Secondly, there is a much debate between philosophers, first, obviously, to the historical existence of Socrates and, secondly, moreso, to what extent the historical Socrates was actually portrayed as the character of Socrates.

Most academic philosophers I've encountered who deign to have an opinion seem to agree that The Republic represents the first serious break between a consistent individual (Socrates) beforehand and an oratory puppet (Plato) afterwards.

Do not judge my mentor Socrates on Plato's need for him to... posit things.

Lol.

Davias

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 08:21:45 pm »
While I'm waiting for the Unholy Consult, I have read only one good fantasy book this year. Joe Abercrombie's "Red Country". Gritty and action-packed. It is a nice and fast read, just the right thing for a lazy friday evening ( and one of the fantasy books in german language with a halfway decent translation :-\ ).

Apart from this, I have expanded my bookshelf with books about the Punic Wars.  I have most of the german books about this special topic and now it is time for some good english books.

Since I have encountered a well written Hannibal biography a few years ago, I collect all things about this ancient era. Right now I'm reading "The Blackwell Companion about the Punic Wars". It was an expensive purchase, but inside there are many good essays about the three wars between carthage and rome.

And after that I have to read "Carthage must be destroyed" by Richard Miles.

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 11:49:52 pm »
Finally, Midnight Tides is picking up the pace a bit (I'm about a third of the way through).

And after that I have to read "Carthage must be destroyed" by Richard Miles.

Cato and his perennial "Carthago delenda est." statement as almost an afterthought at the end of every senate session is one of the most humorous snapshots of ancient Rome that I have come across. I hope that book does it justice!
witness

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 03:31:16 am »
I recently read another of Abercrombie's books, Best Served Cold. I liked it, not quite as much as his First Law trillogy, but it was good. I'll probably pick up Heroes  next since it is set at some point after Best Served Cold.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 05:16:40 am »
The chapter ends with socrates saying all people of wealth and power are just people because the gods are just and would never bless an unjust person.  Therefore someones wealth and power is proof that they are inherently good.
Like all trolls, they ultimately are ferverent supporters of the status quo.

sologdin

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 09:16:37 pm »
best way to do this thread is really everyone get a goodreads account.  there, i started:  http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5610133-sologdin.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 09:22:18 pm »
o.O

The fact that you have 1.6k books in your "read" section is intimidating lol. Makes me nervous to make an account and appear silly and dimwitted :P though I'm sure there are plenty who think that about me already.

Edit:

Earlier in this thread I mentioned I'd start The City and the City and see how it went. Got bored and quite half way but it was more entertaining than a lot of the mystery genre that I've tried to read in the past.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:31:40 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 06:39:25 pm »
I finished Midnight Tides a week or two ago, and now I am nearly half-way through the Bonehunters.
witness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 03:37:59 pm »
Midnight Tides was actually where I stopped.

best way to do this thread is really everyone get a goodreads account.  there, i started:  http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5610133-sologdin.

I have one, solo, but I've never actually took the time to chronicle my physical library to it. I'll second Wilshire's awe: I've only had two major book purges in my life, at 12 and 21, and in both cases I documented all my book titles to a list. Even then, I wouldn't have owned 1.6k books (though again, even if I included all the books I've ever read, I doubt I'd hit a thousand).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Baztek

• Momurai
  • Aleph Jester
  • "We are all of us brothers. Read these."
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 06:38:41 pm »
Re-reading WP at the moment. Really taking my time with it, letting all the details sink in and trying to imagine all the descriptions as vividly as possible. I've been on a big history kick lately so I'm really appreciating Bakker's attention to detail and little nation-specific idioms. Makes the prospect of the upcoming Consult scenes even more horrifying because of how grounded and authentic the rest of the world is.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 08:09:23 pm »
What it takes, the Road to the Whitehouse.