(click to show/hide)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 10:37:16 am »
Quote from: Happy Ent
According to the Eärwa timeline, Angeshraël incites the Four Nations of Men to a “Holy War” against the Nonmen, somewhen after the Breaking of the Gates.

In 2131 Celmemonas abandons his “Holy War,” i.e., the Great Ordeal against the Consult.

Around 3796 the scholastic wars begin, which are also referred to as Holy Wars. At this time, Fane is only 50 years dead, and the various Kianene campaings are only just starting. (Caraskand, for example, is still in the hands of the Nansur Empire.)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 10:37:24 am »
Quote from: Wilshire
The jihads that have been refereed to, I believe, could be about the slow but steady growth of the Kianene empire. Their jihads are what the northern three seas probably call the wars that saw the western Three Seas fall into 'heathen' hands. As far as crusades go, I dont think there has been a concerted effort to wrest back control of those lands, so while there may have been wars and such against the Kain, none of them were 'holy'.

Because of difference in faith, one side can be fighting a holy war (or jihad) while the other is simply involved in an everyday nothing-special war. I imagine it has taken the Thousand Temples much longer to get involved in a war, mainly because of the long years of "ineffectual" Shriahs.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 10:37:49 am »
Quote from: lockesnow
(click to show/hide)

I'm trying to think of DA's timeline here--has he only been a spy for two years?  How old should he be at this point in the book (have not consulted TTT appendix), about 35-40?  That means that he let Inrau go two years ago, and I figure that indicates he was teaching at Atyersus for 5 years or so, enough to take on an acolyte.  Releasing Inrau might also indicate his 'demotion' to spying.
(click to show/hide)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 10:38:01 am »
Quote from: Tony P
Lockesnow,

It's mentioned in the appendix of TDTCB that Akka is "a forty-seven-year-old sorcerer".

Madness,

in the appendix of TTT is says under "jihad": "Fanim holy wars. Since the inception of Fanimry, the Kianene have waged no fewer than seven jihads, all of them against the Nansur Empire" and under "White Jihad": "the holy war waged against the Nansur Empire by Fan'oukarji I and the Kianene from 3743 to 3771."

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 10:38:37 am »
started reading chapter three but there is no new topic...

all sorts of interesting little metaphysical stuff.  Hinges of the world.  A description of the onta (which seems to match what Inrau saw in the sun that matched what Celmo saw in the sun), and just tons of red meat for sologdin's binary of the past and present and how it collapses.  Hints of Esemenet's significance and importance.  The insistence on formal titles for Esmi, harlot specifically, prostitute generally, the term whore is not used in reference to the first literal one, much to the dismay of all the readers who want to catch Bakker in a some sort of pointless game of misogyny gotcha.

heh, reading the entry to Esmenet, I kept thinking of two movie titles I know of (but have not see), Beware the Holy Whore and The Mother and the Whore.

We get our next taste of onscreen magic with how DA summons Inrau.  And we get a hint that Sarcellus is more than he seems (and perhaps has some connection to the thing that took Geshrunni's face when Sarcellus declares how he's 'longed' to hit DA for so long.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 10:38:47 am »
Quote from: Wilshire

much to the dismay of all the readers who want to catch Bakker in a some sort of pointless game of misogyny gotcha.

thing that took Geshrunni's face when Sarcellus declares how he's 'longed' to hit DA for so long.

Had to laugh at the first quote there. Glad it hasnt started here, reading Bakker's TPB blog got so tiresome for a while.

And good catch on the second one. Something I've not caught in previous reads. 'Hit' seems oddly specific.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 10:38:55 am »
Quote from: Happy Ent
We get our next taste of onscreen magic with how DA summons Inrau. 
So is that what that is? I’ve been scratching my bark over that paragraph for years now. For a long time I assumed it was a cant of compulsion, but Akka later insists (to himself) that no such cant was used.

If you have a good explanation of whatever magic is going on (and why), please elaborate.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 10:39:04 am »
I don't.  Akka is a liar.  Otoh, he says if he uses a cant it will taint Inrau and he will be discovered, so it must be something else.