sranc as elju?

• 10 Replies

Quinthane

• Old Name
  • WATD
    • View Profile
    • MyDeviantArt
« on: December 23, 2015, 08:33:01 pm »
remember when Kel encounters his first Nonman (i think most of us believe it's Mekertrig) and the nonman rolls one of the dead sranc over and sez:

"This sranc here-you could not pronounce its name-was our elju...our book. A most devoted animal. I'll be wrecked without it-for a time, anyway."

anyone else find it...i dunno....odd that the role of elju could be handled by a creature such as a sranc? esp. for a living line such as Meker).
WATD --"the Logos is without beginning or end...and then it stops ."

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 09:47:30 pm »
Quinthane, I've thought the same every time I read it. Doesn't see like a thing of flesh like the sranc would even be capable of such a thing.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:04:05 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Darzin

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 08:33:57 am »
Sranc do have language and can craft basic items so they have some intelligence. Some Sranc have souls just like some animals and skin spies have souls so maybe you need a Sranc with a soul?
There is no god but God and Fane is the messenger of God

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:10:00 am »
It might have been an Ursranc? They're a lot more intelligent, ride horses and command other Sranc.

Mek gives orders to elju/Ursranc who in turn orders the band that attacks Kellhus in the prologue?

The Nonmen at the end of TWP had mounted Sranc with them so maybe they were the eljus? One for each of them.

It's not like the Consult has many humans to act as an elju and the skin spies would be presumably be wasted on simply being an elju.

Just a thought.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:28:53 am »
Well, there is the possibility that that particular Sranc had slightly better language or memory capabilities.

There is also the idea that perhaps that Sranc was the most violent/most brutal, or very memorable for some other reason.  So, the idea would then be to have that particular Sranc present at every atrocity, thereby it's very presence would provoke memories.

Also, there is the curiosity that Mek says, "our book" not "my book."  So, does he refer to himself as the plural, or is there someone he is working with?
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:55:17 pm »
1. We do not know exactly the concept & technology of elju. Maybe it's closer to being spa-therapist than psychiatrist-сonfidant. Do they have portalbe metronomes and clocks in three seas? For all we know being elju could be less about cognitive/creative and more about monotonous/labour.
2. Considering erraticism and memory/identity issues, every nonman is/are nonmen. Thus plurals. :3

PS Sorry for the pun.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:45:41 pm »
Ur-Sranc is not a bad idea, but this question has bothered me as well. Unfortunately with no real info on what an elju is or does its hard to say.

If it involves some magics, then maybe they just need a brain as an external hard drive, and the intelligence of the critter doesnt matter that much.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 03:19:30 pm »
Ur-Sranc is not a bad idea, but this question has bothered me as well. Unfortunately with no real info on what an elju is or does its hard to say.

If it involves some magics, then maybe they just need a brain as an external hard drive, and the intelligence of the critter doesnt matter that much.

Well, that's only sort of true.  Cleric admits that Kosoter is his elju, so we've actually seen one, at least partially.  Now, that doesn't really give us a great idea how a sranc could preform the role, but I think there are plausible ways to interpret the role in ways they could.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 03:48:17 pm »
Well, an elju, is a book for a Nonman, right? So, we have to assume that it's a keeper of his life/events, so to say. Doesn't Kosoter have to pull Cleric aside again and again to "remind" him? So, it's either a elju is a person/sranc that Nonman continuously have with them since the womb plague when the began to go Erratic. And, their "deeds" are passed from one elju to the next. Or, an elju is simply there to remind the Nonman what it's purpose is when that Nonman has a mission to carry out. I'd say the former is much more likely, imho.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 05:11:34 pm »
Well when kosoter is speaking to Cleric when Cleric says "Kosoter i struggle" when Mimara is spying on them. He specifically tells him he is preparing to remember, what he is doing at that point. Not reminding him of past events.

Hardly enough information though.

Maybe the face of a particular sranc is the jog to memory needed. they all look alike to us, but probably not to each other.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 10:05:23 pm »
Ok, so sorta remind them what they've been doing when their brains loses that info. Not a book of events of a life, but since they've come in contact with their elju. Makes sense.