+1 Extended Metaphor :).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2013, 12:07:11 am »
Quote from: Duskweaver
David Hume, the Buddha, and some cognitive psychologists like Bruce Hood, would claim that the self is just more obscuring mud. So it's not really "all about the Me and the I". ;)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2013, 12:07:15 am »
Quote from: Curethan
Mystical interpretations indeed.  The notion of the logos is certainly widespread and varies widely.

But RSB's definition of the Earwan Logos appears to be more straightforward;
Quote from: TTT Glossary
Logos-
The name used by the Dunyain to refer to instrumental reason.  The Logos describes the course of action that allows for the most efficient exploitation of one's circumstances in order "to come before", that is, to precede and master the passage of events.
and here;
Quote from: Cujara Cinmoi
Before the First Apocalypse the Dunyain were a heretical community of Kuniuric ascetics (originally based in Sauglish) who sought enlightenment (the Absolute) through the study and practice of reason (the Logos). They were a young movement, but they had already suffered sporadic persecution for some time. But since the Kunniat faith practiced by the High Norsirai was not hierarchical, no concerted effort was made to punish their atheism.

(my bold - wiki-link on the first one)

For me, enlightenment (the Absolute) comes through mastery of reason (the Logos) that enables one to come before everything.
Quote from: tDtCB
If it is only after that we understand what has come before, then we understand nothing. Thus we shall define the soul as follows: that which precedes everything.
—AJENCIS, THE THIRD ANALYTIC OF MEN

If Kellhus' diatribe to Akka is true and all men share a fragment of the soul of the God of Gods, then grasping the God and achieving the Absolute are the same thing.
Then the question becomes whether that is more transformative to the enlightened individual or the world at large.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2013, 12:07:20 am »
Quote from: Madness
If Kellhus' diatribe to Akka is true and all men share a fragment of the soul of the God of Gods, then grasping the God and achieving the Absolute are the same thing.

+1, Curethan.

I just don't share your opinion that Kellhus is necessarily there yet - especially not as of the Circumfixion.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2013, 12:07:26 am »
Quote from: coobek
Nah he is, paraphrasing one thread here, a lying lier that lies, he is after Tekne and to Condition the Consult.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2013, 12:07:31 am »
I just don't share your opinion that Kellhus is necessarily there yet - especially not as of the Circumfixion.

There are quite a few more 'ifs' along the way before we get there.  ;) 
I'm quite happy if you see the possiblity of my speculitive reasoning.  Because thats all it is.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2013, 12:07:36 am »
There's a neat passage from TWP that first made me think of this proposition that you've nicely articulated. I'll have to quote it later.

+1

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2014, 01:11:34 pm »
- wow, wilshire, i had not seen the similarities between the probability trance and what the wlw sees, kudos!
- the idea that the gods can be summoned into the world, lends credence to the idea that the world is a kind of anchor to reality that can draw anything in, even the god/nogod?
- agree with meyna, anything the dunyain do that seems to be totally dunyain, could be entirely skewed by the Outside without their knowledge

- does the tusk look like one of the horns????

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2014, 03:06:44 pm »
Probably looks similar. I cant remember if the Inchoroi gave it to Men or if they just added to it. Can anyone clarify?

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2014, 04:50:09 pm »
Probably looks similar. I cant remember if the Inchoroi gave it to Men or if they just added to it. Can anyone clarify?

I think this is the interview where Bakker says the Inchoroi gave the Tusk to men:
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2011/07/r-scott-bakker-interview-part-2.html

I keep wondering if it's a bomb or something.  Maybe the No-God came south because the it wanted to add the Tusk to the Carapace, the last piece or something.  Like in that Conan movie.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2014, 03:31:31 am »

The Inchoroi gave the entire Tusk to the 5 tribes, and also added the verse about the nonmen. So they did both :P
One of the other conditions of possibility.