[TUC Spoilers] Did I miss something?

• 14 Replies

barrowwind

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:20:45 pm »
Hey people, long time trolling never posted.

I have a feeling I missed something in regards to the last 2 books, at the end of TGO Akka meets 2 more dunyain - one kills himself after snorting the Quya the other follows on with them and is captured - along with akka and mim by the scylvendi.

When we start TUC - this is Akka and Min are completely free and the dunyain is never heard from again - can someone clear this up? I'm just thinking i missed a paragraph or an entire chapter.

Oh, if someone could explain the ending that would be awesome too in regards to :

Who is destroying the ordeal ? Is it the no-god ( kelmomus ) or Akiol ( Kellhus ) and why is kellhus body still here as he was touched by chlorea that kelmomus had - therefore his body should be dust yet i had the picture that it was him coming to the ordeal at the end - it makes no sense to me.

Also, if he could control the chlorea in the skinspies hands with such mastery - how could he not controll Kelmomus...

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:35:34 pm »
Oh, if someone could explain the ending that would be awesome too in regards to :

Who is destroying the ordeal ? Is it the no-god ( kelmomus ) or Akiol ( Kellhus ) and why is kellhus body still here as he was touched by chlorea that kelmomus had - therefore his body should be dust yet i had the picture that it was him coming to the ordeal at the end - it makes no sense to me.

Also, if he could control the chlorea in the skinspies hands with such mastery - how could he not controll Kelmomus...
A quick summary of the ending would be, in the order of your questions, as follows: the No-God is destroying the Ordeal, it's unclear whether we should think of the No-God as Kelmomas (there are reasons not to), Ajokli was exorcised by Kelmomas's presence since Kelmomas was always the No-God from the Outside perspective and so anathema to the Gods (they can't see the No-God, affect it, and even exist close to it; there are theories about the scope and nature of this effect). The picture of Kellhus descending to the Ordeal is a hologram similar to the image of Shauriatas in the Golden Room. This hologram was needed to give the No-God time to start operating at full or significant capacity.

Kellhus-Ajokli couldn't control Kelmomas because of the effect of the No-God outlined above. He could control Chorae because the power of the Gods is not sorcery and as such is unaffected by Chorae.

In regards to the first half of your post, I feel others would explain it better than me. I'm a bit hazy on the details of TGO ending at the moment.

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:15:36 pm »
The boy uses the 100th stone to trip up the skin spy who is chasing him and he escapes, then Akka and Mimara are released by Cnaiur
The world holds no terrors for me, I stand naked as the falling sword, I am the Terror.

TwoMinutesToApocalypse

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 11:17:35 pm »
The boy uses the 100th stone to trip up the skin spy who is chasing him and he escapes

Was that at the end of TGO?

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:21:26 pm »
Yes, it's toward the end of the last chapter.

TwoMinutesToApocalypse

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:32:28 pm »
I remember that line but I didn't put it together.  I remember the mention of the 100th stone, but I must have missed the skin-spy tripping entirely.  I thought it was just a throw-away sentence. 

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:12:01 am »
I remember that line but I didn't put it together.  I remember the mention of the 100th stone, but I must have missed the skin-spy tripping entirely.  I thought it was just a throw-away sentence. 
It happens off-screen. The Serwe skin-spy returns to Cnaiur injured and says the boy knocked her over a cliff with a flung stone and escaped.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 10:00:48 am »
That was the thing called Serwë said, but the word of a skin-spy is at best dubious.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

barrowwind

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 11:49:33 am »
Thank-you all for your replies, and especially clearing up the ending of TUC - that really helped me understand.

The boy flung a stone and knocked her over a cliff and escaped? Where is he now? is this answered or just another loose end?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 12:35:44 pm »
As per the r/fantasy AMA - and probably the Q&A thread here, which I still haven't read - the Boy, whom we've dubbed Crabicus, is still out there...

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, barrowwind :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 01:07:32 pm »
Kellhus-Ajokli couldn't control Kelmomas because of the effect of the No-God outlined above. He could control Chorae because the power of the Gods is not sorcery and as such is unaffected by Chorae.

In regards to the first half of your post, I feel others would explain it better than me. I'm a bit hazy on the details of TGO ending at the moment.
This is interesting because Bakker has said before that chorae rely on negative meaning (or something like that). I guess the Gods can control both negative and positive meaning, but they can't see zero meaning. No-God... Null-God?!?!

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 01:21:52 pm »
The Gods are like old computers then...

Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 03:27:48 am »

This is interesting because Bakker has said before that chorae rely on negative meaning (or something like that). I guess the Gods can control both negative and positive meaning, but they can't see zero meaning. No-God... Null-God?!?!
SIMULTANEOUS FOUR CORNERED GEO TRUTH = NULL GOD. YATWERIANS EDUCATED STUPID LIE YOU WILL PAY

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 10:41:31 pm »
It might also be postulated that, unlike sorcery, the power of the Gods doesn't stem from meaning at all.

Thank-you all for your replies, and especially clearing up the ending of TUC - that really helped me understand.
Glad I could help!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:43:06 pm by SmilerLoki »

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 04:41:54 am »
My take with it is this.

Crabicus is full dunyain and like his forebears probably a prodigy in regards to intelligence etc.

A quick calculation of events probably had him going anywhere bar the Ark. He is the son of the survivor after all.