[TUC Spoilers]What was the point

• 108 Replies

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2017, 11:16:49 pm »
I worry for Bakker's future publications .

Me too. What about the critics' reviews?
Personally, I'd like to return my copy and get my money back because I feel like I've been ripped off and the author is giving a big middle finger to the reader.

Barring that, I'll just have to settle for reviewing it on Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. so that there are sufficient buyer-beware warnings out there. Probably referencing the scene where a little boy is murdered while crying out for his mommy will be sufficient warning about what this book is like. Or maybe referencing one of the many, many scenes of gang rape or necrophilia.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2017, 12:42:42 am »

Personally, I'd like to return my copy and get my money back because I feel like I've been ripped off and the author is giving a big middle finger to the reader.

Barring that, I'll just have to settle for reviewing it on Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. so that there are sufficient buyer-beware warnings out there. Probably referencing the scene where a little boy is murdered while crying out for his mommy will be sufficient warning about what this book is like. Or maybe referencing one of the many, many scenes of gang rape or necrophilia.
Wow, that's just blatant trolling. You don't read 7 books of The Second Apocalypse only to be offended by rape or child abuse at the very last one. I say circumfix the guy!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2017, 02:04:21 am »
There'll be no circumfixing of anyone, thank you very much.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2017, 02:05:27 am »

Wow the book really got into you. My reaction was far less intense ,I had to get peer-pressured for a week into writing one review, but on the positive end of the scale.

Just put the epilogue from The Warrior Prophet in your review, that's the sort of shit you only read once.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2017, 02:06:07 am »

But i went and got my pitchfork

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2017, 03:06:20 am »

Circumfixtion for one who isn't Zaudunyani?
We don't harvest the meat with pitchforks, now do we? Well,maybe it is a useful tool for stacking...
 I think Bakker's got humanity pegged.

codebread

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2017, 04:00:38 am »
But now Bakker has spoken and confirmed that we will have more qirri, yeah, more books, so I'm so fucking relieved that nothing can bother me.

Whoa, did I miss something? I saw the Q&A thread, but the only thing I saw him mention was that the series has a lot going against it commercially. That and a few bits and pieces about the new series, but no confirmation that they would absolutely happen.

Tell me I missed something!

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2017, 05:15:23 am »
But now Bakker has spoken and confirmed that we will have more qirri, yeah, more books, so I'm so fucking relieved that nothing can bother me.

Whoa, did I miss something? I saw the Q&A thread, but the only thing I saw him mention was that the series has a lot going against it commercially. That and a few bits and pieces about the new series, but no confirmation that they would absolutely happen.

Tell me I missed something!

Just that he's writing it.-
 "I have scads of snippets centering mostly on individual characters, but I still have a huge amount of decisions to make."(don't know how to link it.)

Nil Sertrax

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2017, 01:16:15 pm »
I believe that the lack of commercial appeal was regarding a film or television option for the books.  The way I read it is that the No-God series is confirmed. If his publisher declines I will personally start a Kick-Starter to fund the self publication of the books!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2017, 01:54:43 pm »

We don't harvest the meat with pitchforks, now do we? Well,maybe it is a useful tool for stacking...

Stow it, you two ;).

Everyone is allowed to express their opinion here. What we aren't going to do, collectively, is allow opinions worth challenging go unchallenged. But there's a wide mile between conversing and curcumfixing.

I believe that the lack of commercial appeal was regarding a film or television option for the books.  The way I read it is that the No-God series is confirmed. If his publisher declines I will personally start a Kick-Starter to fund the self publication of the books!

I imagine he's going to be fairly infrequent about answering but did anyone ask him about what happened to the TV rights being optioned as far back as last August?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2017, 03:45:44 pm »

Stow it, you two ;).

Everyone is allowed to express their opinion here. What we aren't going to do, collectively, is allow opinions worth challenging go unchallenged. But there's a wide mile between conversing and curcumfixing.

I imagine he's going to be fairly infrequent about answering but did anyone ask him about what happened to the TV rights being optioned as far back as last August?
Circumfix Madness too for defending blasphemy.
Good question that, will ask it in the AMA because....cause...... :'(  :'(  :'(
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2017, 05:16:34 pm »
I was just joking about a pitchfork.

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2017, 05:27:37 pm »

Stow it, you two ;).

Haha, sorry madness, just trying to prove Bakker's point re: mob violence, online or otherwise. Just like when he waded into gamer gate and was attacked from both sides, here we are about to scourge a person who has read the books! And that's always my first goal. Read it. Then judge.

[EDIT Madness: Missing quote tag.]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:27:27 pm by Madness »

Spooky

• Emwama
  • An Echo Made Manifest
    • View Profile
    • In Pursuit of Perception
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2017, 10:16:27 pm »

Also, the editing was bad. Bad enough to take me out of the story. There were a lot of verb tense mistakes, repetitive descriptors in back to back to back sentences, etc.

Welcome back, Rots.

On the former part, as Wilshire mentioned in another thread, half the book is decidedly not about the Ordeal Sranc-ifying. There are two chapters, the second of which was heavily cut on the recommendation of one of Bakker's long-time beta readers. Two of twenty chapters. It's an example of the availability heurisitic at work.

I suspect, given the data, that we could probably map how desensitized readers are or aren't based on how much they fixate on these two chapters as being representative of the whole book.

On the latter, the editing of TGO and TUC by Overlook has been atrocious. I've been comparing the notes I sent to Bakker regarding the draft while I've been reading the canon artifact and, as with TGO, none of the mundane errors I caught then were fixed...

I'm on Chapter Four when I pick it up today again but I suspect all the errors are still there.

I worry too. Observations about the exact amount of chapters spent dedicated to needless, lavishly detailed, debasement is an immaculate token of pedantry.

It was a mistake to include it in any significant length when core components of the story remain illusive and deeply unresolved. There was a period of debate, but now that the article is available on both sides of the pond we can safely move from the debate of whether or not it was a mistake and firmly embrace that it was an error and now opine just how grave of one.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 02:37:01 pm by Spooky »

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2017, 10:37:03 pm »
Your mileage may vary and all that.

No ones going to waste time arguing subjective view points as objective truth. One mans meat another man's poison, blah di blah.