What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2013, 01:44:20 am »
Quote from: lockesnow
Quote from: sologdin
Fire burns, reduces things to carbon, perhaps an inverse fire takes carbon and builds, nano-tech style...

nice.  he need to work out how opposition works for things, as opposed to propositions.  much like "contradiction" in marxism, it's hard to know how a linguistic concept applies to objective material reality.

proposition: A-->B
converse: B-->A
inverse: not A-->not B
contrapositive: not B-->not A

what about obversion and transposition, too?

anyway, certainly RSB was trained in classical & symbolic logics and means logic very specfically when discussing an "inverse."

so:  following locke's insight:  WTF is the inverse of fire?  we need to state fire as a conditional, first. anyone got that figured out?

Perhaps we should take your logic to the gnostic level?

fire = f(inward)
inverse fire = f(outside)

or would that be ln(outside) is the inverse of any function inward?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2013, 01:44:26 am »
Quote from: Madness
Lol, this is going to get interesting. I definitely think you're onto something approaching this as an actual logic problem.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2013, 01:44:32 am »
Quote from: Triskele
Great ideas. 

But I could see a scenario in which the inverse is really all that is important and the fire not so much.  Perhaps a fire is just a thing that does the inversing.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2013, 01:44:40 am »
inverse switches the causal relationship and negates both the antecedent and the consequent.

fire exists in time.  to switch the temporal causality is to make the after cause the before.

fire causes light.  to negate that conditionality is to make fire cause dark.

inverse fire is therefore the darkness that comes before that is determined by what comes after.

QED

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2013, 01:44:45 am »
Quote from: Duskweaver
inverse fire is therefore the darkness that comes before that is determined by what comes after.
Sounds like a pretty good definition of the term "self-fulfilling prophecy" to me. Belief in damnation damns you? :?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2013, 01:44:51 am »
oh, fucked that up. i laid out contrapositive fire, i think.  inverse shouldn't switch causality.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2013, 01:44:56 am »
Quote from: Duskweaver
Oh yeah. I didn't catch that either.

Inverse fire would still result in endarkenment, and I can hardly think of a better term to describe the effect absolute proof of the reality of damnation would have upon a person or society.

EDIT: Oh, I wonder if it's the fire in Plato's cave that's inverted?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2013, 01:45:01 am »
I'll probably need to revisit some propositional logic problems - which my professors used to recommend doing all the time :( - before joining in that aspect of the conversation to try and symbolically express the Inverse Fire. But, actually, Duskweaver, a friend and I were talking about this out of the context of the books the other day but I have a couple threads to pull together for us here.

The inversion of Plato's Cave is essentially what PON is all about. Joseph Campbell, arguing as a psychologist, used to write that in many cases, people reject their Prometheus, their Plato, their Jesus... any intellect that goes through the Hero's Journey, or the Cycle of the Cave cannot always integrate their knowledge back into their place of emergence, their roots.

Kellhus comes from a Cave, which is in fact, the light of the Sun (Pure Reason). He descends from the place of Sunlight to the world of Shadow and instead of trying to enlighten the worldborn to the shadows, uses his knowledge to enslave.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2013, 01:45:06 am »
Quote from: Anasurimbor Bob
And what if the damnation the inverse fire shows you is legit,what if it trulyis the real thing,BUT that the very act of wanting to know what damnation is,to peek into God's/the gods' work is what REALLY damns you at the end.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2013, 01:45:12 am »
Quote from: Wilshire
I guess sense we only have one opinion on what the IF does, i.e shows you your damnation, thats a definite possibility. I wonder what Mimara would see?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2013, 01:45:19 am »
My money is on Mimara seeing that the Inverse Fire lies... Though there's been pretty good indications above that the IF might show Earwan Damnation, or Damnation at the hands of the Gods and Outside.

I simply cannot shake my doubt of the Inchoroi as I did my doubt of the Cishaurim... but then it's clear to the reader from TDTCB that the Cishaurim are never really the enemy.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2013, 01:45:24 am »
History is written by the victors. If the Fanim won, the Mandate would have been crushed, the Cishaurim elevated, and we'd have meta-psukari users instead.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2013, 01:45:29 am »
Quote from: Anasurimbor Bob
And what if the damnation the inverse fire shows you is legit,what if it trulyis the real thing,BUT that the very act of wanting to know what damnation is,to peek into God's/the gods' work is what REALLY damns you at the end.
Tree of Knowledge

(different from Tree of Life)

Fuck.  Why haven't we discussed Eden in relation to Earwa before?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2013, 01:45:35 am »
Because Eden is happy and everything in Earwa is misery.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2013, 01:45:40 am »
But, in relation to damnation, Earwa is happy like Eden, damnation is the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.