Let's talk about the introduction of the WLW (spoilers)

• 25 Replies

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 11:45:03 am »
I wonder if he and Psatma are actual or figurative siblings.

As do I.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 10:41:02 pm »
Was thinking further on this.
I imagine that Yatwer must periodically make certain 'consecrated' followers 'disappear'. 

The text goes to length to show that WLW's when distant ancestor attracted Yatwer's attention.  I assume the Ceneian woman was the first of his ancestors to dwell in Yatwer's realm on the outside and that this is important in Yatwer influencing the destiny of her antecedents.

Although the gods don't experience time in a strictly linear fashion, the WLW is clearly a reaction to Khellus (it would be easier to strike from the outside before he became so powerful).

So maybe Yatwer (and probably the other gods by extension) has 'historical blindspots' (such as entire families killed - minus a usable 'gift') arranged every generation or so, just in case.

Either that, or Yatwer altered the past in her favour through her followers.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 02:39:25 pm »
The Gods basically sound like the most blood-thirsty mafia ever.

Was thinking further on this.
I imagine that Yatwer must periodically make certain 'consecrated' followers 'disappear'. 

The text goes to length to show that WLW's when distant ancestor attracted Yatwer's attention.  I assume the Ceneian woman was the first of his ancestors to dwell in Yatwer's realm on the outside and that this is important in Yatwer influencing the destiny of her antecedents.

Although the gods don't experience time in a strictly linear fashion, the WLW is clearly a reaction to Khellus (it would be easier to strike from the outside before he became so powerful).

So maybe Yatwer (and probably the other gods by extension) has 'historical blindspots' (such as entire families killed - minus a usable 'gift') arranged every generation or so, just in case.

Either that, or Yatwer altered the past in her favour through her followers.

+1 one the post and each of the bolds specifically.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 10:47:02 pm »

Was thinking about what you said--does this mean that all of Ishual is somehow in the gods' blindspot?  It would be built at just the right place!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 12:27:34 pm »
I wonder if Dunyain living correlates with their ensoulled activity having a minimal "Outside footprint."
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 02:38:38 am »
I wonder if Dunyain living correlates with their ensoulled activity having a minimal "Outside footprint."
Being so boring so as to be effectively invisible. Maybe this is why Moenghus is exiled. He risked attracting the attention of the Gods.

the WLW is clearly a reaction to Khellus
I really like this statement. Its somewhat obvious, but I seeing it written down was powerful. Interesting to think how a being that doesn't see time as linear would "react" to an event.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 07:48:08 am »
Perhaps they allowed Kellhus to come powerful first so they could murder him as a object lesson.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 01:26:07 pm »
I like that thought, Sharmat.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 09:36:40 pm »
Being so boring so as to be effectively invisible. Maybe this is why Moenghus is exiled. He risked attracting the attention of the Gods.

I really like this statement. Its somewhat obvious, but I seeing it written down was powerful. Interesting to think how a being that doesn't see time as linear would "react" to an event.

If that's true, Akka and Mimi might never find the Dunyain!  Anyone who finds them would bring the gods' attention, so they are entirely motivated to recede from all attention!  Until...until... they grasp the Absolute and rush onto the stage as the god of gods?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 10:25:38 pm »
If that's true, Akka and Mimi might never find the Dunyain!  Anyone who finds them would bring the gods' attention, so they are entirely motivated to recede from all attention!  Until...until... they grasp the Absolute and rush onto the stage as the god of gods?
Or at least until they burst into the outside, coup d'état style
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 03:41:05 pm »
If anyone ever did seize the Absolute, then perhaps they would be in a position to remain invisible to everyone.