Only Me

• 3 Replies

Johnny

• Emwama
  • Dig me. Just not a hole.
    • View Profile
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:36:50 am »
Hello folks. New here as you know.
I just finished the White Luck Warrior and was curious to see when the next book comes out. Still dunno, but ah well. Gives me a chance to read other things till then. Anyway.
I randomly found this place and since it's endorsed by Bakker himself I thought it'd be cool to check this out and join.
A few things as it pertains to the stories and the author:
- Fav. fantasy author, author in general tbh, atm.
- Still need to buy the 1st trilogy. Currently have the last 2 books on my shelf.
- Discovered Bakker while searching for new authors on Amazon. The synopsis for The Darkness That Comes Before intrigued me and the rest is history.
- In terms of fantasy, Bakker is easily my most enthralling source of entertaining in regards to mythos, history and originality. He's like Tolkien in many ways, but in some ways he's better. Tolkien is numero uno, but Bakker is a solid numero dos.

A few things about myself:
- A writer since very young. Published a few things locally, but nothing major.
- A student of the craft. Someone just as willing to learn as well as teach to whoever needs help/advice.
- Read all Harry Potter books within a month. Month and a half at most. Needless to say, this says more about the books than my ability to read. HP was nothing more than popcorn fare. Just as easily forgotten as it is read. But it's not necessarily a bad thing to be a source for entertainment and nothing else.
- Coming off a long hiatus from writing. Burnt out on too much writing. Slowly coming back and feel my work has improved. Reading Bakker's stories has helped in this regard.
- Really looking forward to communicating and participating with this group here.

Cheers :)
Ask, and you shall receive.
To this day, I've yet to receive everything I've asked for. What I learned is this: Learn and obtain that which you desire - yourself.
A failed attempt at sounding deep and profound. Hey, it's late. Mind is running on fumes.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:23:36 am »
Hey Johnny,

Welcome on the SA forum. As a new member myself, i can attest to the friendlyness of this place. I'm sure you'll feel right at home here.

And i have to add this, even if you were not asking : If you love mythos, history and originality and love Tolkien and Bakker, you have to treat yourself to the works of Steven Erikson. His Malazan Book of the Fallen is on of the most monumental works in Fantasy right now (all imho and ymmv, of course). His world is so very alive and deep...it's baffling (he's an archaeologist and anthropologist and it very much shows in his world and cultures).
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 06:06:08 pm »
Welcome to The Second Apocalypse, Johnny.

Make yourself at home :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 01:26:45 am »
Hello!  I am a fellow Harry Potter fan!  I don't know if that's too something something for the average Bakker fan, but Harry Potter live forever!