Who attacked the Scarlet Spires and why?

• 69 Replies

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2014, 01:17:31 am »
Spoilers rest of series below.

(click to show/hide)

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2014, 05:10:24 am »

(click to show/hide)

I haven't heard that before, nice!  Perhaps he only recently found his way out of some in-between place he was trapped in...

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2015, 03:32:21 pm »
Is Maithanet not an example of hybrid vigor? Aspect Emperor Spoilers:
(click to show/hide)

I was specifically thinking of his comprehensive inferiority to Kellhus. Maithanet would have been more interesting if he had been better at some things than Kellhus and thus more of a threat.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2015, 07:42:35 am »
Aspect Emperor Spoilers:
(click to show/hide)

It's a possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2015, 03:48:03 pm »

(click to show/hide)

are you positing the possibility of a renegade cishaurim?  that someone had left their ranks before the events as Shimeh?  that would be neet

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2016, 07:16:07 pm »
1. The Cishaurim that Kellhus met at the fall of Caraskand, who was apparently so indoctrinated towards Moenghus that he was willing to die simply to deliver a message for him. The message, tellingly, ending with "the Logos is without beginning or end." Moenghus ensnaring those around him by sharing partial revelations of Dunyain philosophy, trading bits of truth for leverage with which to control others, is classic Dunyain, and Kellhus has been doing it since he met the tracker in Kuniuri.

Do you mean the man on the road that Kellhus kills after receiving the message from Moe? I believe it was just a regular dude and not a Cishaurim. If it was a Cishaurim, then that is an unbelievable waste.
Honor the Niom? Niom is my middle name.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2016, 04:00:43 am »
nah Kellhus beheads a Cish which looks just like him and his dad (he thinks it's his father till he gets really close and sees the Cish is too young). The guy who gives the message about him soon understanding the TTT.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2016, 11:00:24 am »
A few of my thoughts on the subject.

1) The Psukhe is a sorcerous practice based on passion, not intellect.  It is invisible precisely because of that.  Even the the more intellectual practices of sorcery has limited understanding of their own metaphysics.  The Cishaurim are going to under even less because blind faith is what makes them good sorcerers.

2) Since even the metaphysical understanding of Anagogic Sorcerers and Gnostic Schoolmen of their own practices is limited the same follows for the Cishaurim.  The do not have the Mandate's knowledge of the Consult and the Tekne.  The Scarlet Spires are known to be arrogant practitioners of unholy arts, they are from the Cishaurim's point of view, natural suspects.

3) That said the suicide strike, while not inconceivable for fanatic priest-magicians, is something we do tend to expect from those under the influence of the Dunyain.

4) Moenghus's lack of command of the water is absolutely relevant to his ability to influence the Cishaurim.  Kelhous didn't declare himself a prophet, he displayed overwhelming wisdom and insight and his followers came to believe he was a prophet.  Moenghus's weakness is going to undermine him just as failure would have undermined Kelhous.  He's still a Dunyain with the ability to manipulate people but his ability to read them by his blinding and his authority is undermined by his weakness. 

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2016, 10:25:10 pm »
Lol - it is immensely satisfying to read your posts again, CC, just putting that out there for a second time. I hope more Old Names find their way back.

As an aside, because I don't really disagree with anything you wrote, have you read Bakker's response to this topic in the Author Q&A?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2016, 01:18:25 am »
No, I hadn't.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I didn't think that the Cishaurim had translocated as part of the attack but the ambiguity of the passage meant that that it couldn't be decisively ruled out.