[TGO Spoilers] I finished the book, confused about something.

• 40 Replies

Seomus

• Emwama
  • Author
    • View Profile
    • JMD Reid's Blog
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 01:56:45 am »
I too read it that he was the agent of Ajokli, but this theory is interesting too;
"Why does Kelmomas stand outside the sight of the gods? How else could his being there have been unexpected? He's like the no-god, at least to the WLW. I was thinking that the entire time reading Kel spying on WLW."
He is a twin, whose pair is dead- maybe that is essential for God-blindness, or 'graced', or becoming a god (or whatever Kelmomas is)? Hey, was Cnaiur a twin?  ;)

I was thinking it might have to do with the twin, but the beetle offering with Ajokli also works. Having Kel find out about narinder while investigating WLW is also illuminating what he is makes for great writing. One scene doing multiple narrative work.
“A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity."
--Franz Kafka

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 04:42:41 pm »
Celmomas has a dead twin as well, and a god manifested on his deathbed. It seems like there is something important going on with twins, but I dont know what.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 07:03:54 pm »
Why does Kelmomas stand outside the sight of the gods? How else could his being there have been unexpected? He's like the no-god, at least to the WLW. I was thinking that the entire time reading Kel spying on WLW.
My theory is that Kelmomas does not. Just his brother. He's dead, but till interacting regularly with someone that isn't. Kinda like a Judging Eye, only with out the moral vision, and kind of a dick.

Doubt

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 08:07:54 pm »
Is that truly Samarmus, or just one of the "fractions" Koringhus and Kellhus have, which he has tricked himself into thinking it's his dead twin?
Cuts and cuts and cuts.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 04:05:46 am »
Is that truly Samarmus, or just one of the "fractions" Koringhus and Kellhus have, which he has tricked himself into thinking it's his dead twin?

That was my interpretation.  I argue with myself in my own head.

Cnaiür vs Karsa vs Drogo

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 04:37:18 am »
Celmomas has a dead twin as well, and a god manifested on his deathbed. It seems like there is something important going on with twins, but I dont know what.

From the wiki:

Anasûrimbor Huörmomas was the stillborn twin brother of Anasûrimbor Celmomas II.
   According to The Sagas, Celmomas was haunted by thoughts of Huörmomas throughout his life.
Odaini Concussion Cant first, ask questions later...

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 04:49:56 am »
Logically Kelmomas should just be insane but by the logic of fiction it has to actually be something supernatural inside his head.

The actual in-book stuff was a lot more damning than the wiki. The saga acts like the twin was still with him and moved Celmomas to perform his darker deeds.

Cnaiür vs Karsa vs Drogo

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 05:27:51 am »
Logically Kelmomas should just be insane but by the logic of fiction it has to actually be something supernatural inside his head.

The actual in-book stuff was a lot more damning than the wiki. The saga acts like the twin was still with him and moved Celmomas to perform his darker deeds.

I can't really remember the books talking about it; what darker deeds?
Odaini Concussion Cant first, ask questions later...

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 05:54:18 am »
They didn't say specifically that I recall, just vaguely ascribed whenever Celmomas went cold and scary as Huormomas's influence.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 01:43:14 pm »

Right, he's a paranoid schizophrenic - but in TSA he's a god-touched demon child speaking to some mysterious being. I've decided to think of the voice as Sammarus, though its just as likely something else.

Also, non 'darker moods'. It was mentioned somewhere that people decided that Huormomas was haunting or influencing Celmomas when he was angry.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 02:40:40 pm by Wilshire »

gtownwr

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 04:17:20 pm »
I was confused by the physical response of the WLW to Kel as well.  I thought maybe Kellhus had put a paralysis cant on him or something, but that was only because I couldn't think of any other logical reason he would be immobilized and bleeding from the ears.  I had seen prior theories than Kelmomas would be central to stopping the WLW, but I am at a loss as to why he was unseen by the WLW in all his visions.  This confrontation between Kellhus and the WLW was a source of great anxiety for me as a member of the "Kellhus is the savior" camp, and I was relieved to see him walk away from it, but I can't make sense of it yet. 

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2016, 04:26:49 pm »
I thought the bleeding from the ears was in relation to the earthquake somehow.

As for why Kelmomas was unseen - thats a huge mystery. Mostly, I think what should be taken away is that the gods aren't omnipotent, or omniscient. They have blind spots, and they are blind to those blindspots as surely as anyone.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 03:44:01 am »
Yeah I think the ear bleeding was just from a shockwave. He was frozen out of shock, fro the first time in his entire existence.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 03:57:44 am »
I believe the blood on the ear lobes of the WLW was a blessing from Yatwer. A ritual type of thing. It was mentioned before when he met Esme in the throne room at the beginning of TGO and he asked him to clean his hands in the bowl. It is brought up then too.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 04:41:49 am by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 08:50:01 am »
You're right, I misremembered.