Why haven't more Few gone to the Consult?

• 49 Replies

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2014, 03:59:43 pm »
I think the breeding of Ursranc is very telling. If they're bred to be more stable and controlling sranc that can use more complicated gear and use actual tactics, they're probably bred with humans in some suitably unpleasant way or just genetically altered to be useful as warriors or assistants. There must be some humans working with the Consult that aren't sorcerers and they've got to be fucking something. If they're Few, great, they can be taught some magic but I don't think they actively breed just for that.

Fucking love the idea of Ursranc sorcerers!!!  If someone could do it skinspies, why not?  Although, maybe dragons or bashrag would be better.  Sorcery + any of the derived would be an amazing bit to read. 

I'm also hoping we get a moment like "the emptying of Thangorodrim" where the Ark spews a lot of one-off abominations that the Consult couldn't/wouldn't replicate.  Maybe a tunneling creature, some kind of horror rising from the sea, their own version of daimos/weapons of animata stuff.  :)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2014, 04:14:55 pm »
One-off atrocities would be interesting, but they would only be used as a last resort. Even when driven back into the Arc the Inchoroi didn't/couldn't release such creatures, and it is hard to think of a more desperate situation.

It might be that they have plenty of stock laying around and are just unwilling to use them. After all, they conquered hundreds of worlds and would surely have kept left-overs. Just remember that the created weapon-races that we see where specifically designed for Earwa in order to preserve the world and destroy only the humans/nonmen (sranc only eat insects and leave game alone, I don't know is skin-spies and Wracu eat at all). They might be worried that the world they so desperately want to claim for themselves would be decimated by releasing other species into it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2014, 04:29:48 pm »
Although I would like to see some failed experiment atrocities, I am thinking mostly about creatures that the Consult just didn't need many of or found it too costly to manufacture.  Like a tunneling critter to make those caves under the Ark.  You would only need a couple of those.  Or something that poops fuel for the Inverse Fire.  Specialized torture creatures would be good.  Like all those bugs in Starship Troopers?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2014, 04:38:59 pm »
The Inchoroi making their own little Zerg hive. Zerglings (sranc), lurkers, banelings, mutalisks (Wraku) :)
One of the other conditions of possibility.