[TGO SPOILERS] Inchoroi Weaponry

• 48 Replies

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 03:00:15 pm »
This is true. Which suggests their weapons of light weren't enough to overcome the Quyan wards.

I don't remember dragons being specifically immune to magic, either Quyan or Gnostic. But the sheer mass of iron would give them  both enough resistance, momentum and impact-strength to crush any sorcerer.
I expect it's more like the difference between using a saw (but then an Abstraction of light) on flesh or on iron. It may work in the end, but the spells used are not developed for this.
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Titan

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2016, 05:08:43 pm »
As long as the source of an attack is mundane, any Ward seems to work

I don't think we have enough evidence to support that. A nuke next to a sorcerer would likely obliterate him, no matter how many strong wards... And my reading of the books suggests to me that wards aren't entirely "bulletproof" - they depend on the strength of the sorcerer, and what he/she is facing.

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2016, 06:55:21 pm »
I agree with you Titan. My choice of words in the previous post may habe been poor: I do not assume Wards block everything continually. The easiest way to try and explain this is by using the Anagogic wards used during the famed Battle of Shimeh:
The wards are being described as Bulwark of this, Carapace of that, etc. That's because that is what it is. The bulwark and carapace can only take so much damage before being pierced/destroyed.
This is mentioned more than once in the books: The way to defeat a fellow mage isby overwhelming the opponents defences faster than that he can "repair" or "reinforce" them. This goes for mundane attacks as well: If my memory serves, in TJE, when Sorweel saves Eskeles, the cracking and breaking of his wards is being described as the Sranc attempt to break through.

In addition, Akka is described as only being able to chant his most simple wards because he is overwhelmed by Cleric's onslaught in WLW, or by the concerted effort of multiple Scarlet Spires in TWP.
Every attack batters an opponent's ward. Magic, or a charge by a dragon will go faster than a lone guy with a sword.

A nuke will probably blast his wards in an instant and kill him stone-dead.
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2016, 12:00:07 am »
Not sure where to put this, a quick thought under "Inchoroi Weaponry" seems relevant enough to discussion about the No-God. Had a weird conclusion as I was randomly reading about Minoan burials at Knossos.

Sarcophagus means "flesh-eater" in Greek.  I think Bakker is way too much of a classicist for this to be some random creative choice for the Carapace of the No-God to be referred to as a black sarcophagus over and over and over.

We've been saying continuously that the No-God needs to feed upon souls so as to have enough metaphysical juice to be launched, but I think this we may have had it reversed. The No-God consumes the material remains of ensouled beings so that their souls can go to the Black Heaven or whatever.

The repudiation of material reality/existence and reaching some spiritual nirvana automatically made me think of Koringhus committing suicide. Not sure if this means anything at all. But I think the etymology of sarcophagus and its repetition might be a big clue to something bigger.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 01:00:10 am by Hirtius/Pansa »