Aurang or Aurax?

• 9 Replies

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« on: July 17, 2015, 05:45:57 pm »
Minor spoilers for The White Luck Warrior and The False Sun!

I've heard different takes on this from the community and wanted to see some discussion on it here. Bakker finally reveals the Inchoroi in The Warrior Prophet, with probably the most mind-scarring scene in the series. Yet the text does not spell out which of the last remaining Inchoroi it is.

My take is that it is Aurang. It's my assumption that nearly every Inchoroi is modified in different ways. This same description has been used every time and when identified, it's always Aurang. When Achamian dreams as Nau Cayuti and sees the Inchoroi, he immediately recognizes him as Aurang. If the brothers looked the same, he wouldn't have only pegged it as the one. It's also my hope that Aurax intentionally has not been revealed yet and has an even more repulsive form than his bro

At the same time, I can see why many think it's Aurax. it speaks through telepathy, whereas as Aurang always uses his Nonman or Synthese head to physically speak. It also uses the royal 'we' in its speech, something Aurang has never done either to my knowledge.

What do you guys think and are there any other clues which settle the matter?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 07:07:57 pm »
What do you guys think and are there any other clues which settle the matter?
I hope they are something creepy. Like, two identities in the same body, splitted for the sake of moral immortality, grasping sorcery or perfect twincest.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 07:47:09 pm »
Well, as for concrete clues, all I can think of would be that when Kellhus speaks to Aurang, he confidently says to him that he knows how his actual physical body is really in the Ark, with the Consult sorcerers making it possible for him to inhabit the Synthese.  If Kellhus was lying, I feel Aurang would have been quick to point out how little he actually knew.  Then again, there is the chance it was just a cat-and-mouse statement, with neither knowing which role they were truly playing.

That, paired with the idea that Aurang was concerning himself with the Holy War and the South, while Aurax scoured the North.

Keep in mind that they are twin brothers.  I think it is reasonable that they should look alike.  The chapter does speak of "cancerous growths" that I don't recall ever being described on Aurang, as well, IIRC.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 10:11:25 pm »
Searching through the e-books, Aurax isn't mentioned until TTT. And then in only a historical context.

That doesn't rule out the Inchi at the end of TWP being Aurax. But based on his supposed role as the one who may have taught the Tekne to the Mangaecca, he seems like the type to stay back in Golgatterath thinking of new, horrible things. Like Dr. Mindbender from GI Joe...

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 12:04:47 pm »
Searching through the e-books, Aurax isn't mentioned until TTT. And then in only a historical context.

That doesn't rule out the Inchi at the end of TWP being Aurax. But based on his supposed role as the one who may have taught the Tekne to the Mangaecca, he seems like the type to stay back in Golgatterath thinking of new, horrible things. Like Dr. Mindbender from GI Joe...

I like that idea, that he's more of an "in-the-shadows" figure.  Considering that though, I like the idea that the Dunyain threat is so great, that it obliges him to sally forth and start looking....

Of course, there is so little to go on, I don't think we can really know definitively.  I money is on the being Aurax though.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:32:27 am »
with Bakker's prankish 'unreliability of texts' i guess the guy at the end of TWP could be someone altogether different? 

it's always bugged me that the Inchoroi would be so hellbent on fighting the Nonmen when their ultimate goal is to avoid damnation.  it makes me think that the Inchoroi have or hope to have some means of calling their own back from the dead.  merhaps the Inchoroi at the end of TWP is dread Sil!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:45:36 am »
Well, considering what will happen to their souls upon death, I don't know that they want to take the risk of dying and being brought back.

I think they fought the Nonmen mainly because they were attempting to reduce the world the the 144,000.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 04:58:23 pm »

This makes me think its remained unnamed because it was Aurax. If it was Aurang, i believe it would have been mentioned. The shepard must tend his flock, and with his brother down south he had to go and check out the puny humans himself.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 09:50:00 pm »
I maintain it was Aurax. Aurang is pretty busy shadowing the holy war to also commit to a half-continent wide search for any trace of the Dunyain while also frequently leaving his body completely inert in the wild tying up an unknown number of Maengaecca sorcerers.

If Kellhus was lying, I feel Aurang would have been quick to point out how little he actually knew.
I think by then Aurang had taken Cnaiur seriously enough to indulge Kellhus' ignorance.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 10:56:24 pm »
Yeah I moved away from it being Aurang's for sure on our TJE reread, where the panels in Cil-Aujas show all the Inchoroi have the look Aurang has had for milennia. With the differences I noted in the OP, I'm leaning a bit more towards Aurax here.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk