POV's in TGO/TUC

• 36 Replies

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2018, 02:40:08 am »
Well I only mentioned the last two books because they are not covered by the PON wiki, but if something is missing from any of the others, I'd like to know that as well.

Actually, that is a good idea, I'll try to check if something is missing as the current reread goes along.

I was also trying to follow the format presented by the wiki, which excludes the POV dreams altogether.  If we include Nau-Cayuti, then we need to consider Seswatha as well from all the previous dreams present throughout the series.

While we technically do have the POVs of Seswatha, Nau-Cayûti and Celmomas (am I missing anyone?) via the Dreams, they're not really direct POVs as the others are, as the main POV character is still Akka. They're more like secondary POVs. Maybe we could add them to the POV lists in the wiki as something like "Seswatha (in Achamian's Dreams)" or "Seswatha (secondary POV)"?

That's a good idea. I only remember those three from the dreams, so I'm not too sure if anyone is missing. We never get Serwa's POV when she's dreaming but I doubt it would involve anyone other than Seswatha.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2018, 04:29:12 pm »
That's a good idea. I only remember those three from the dreams, so I'm not too sure if anyone is missing. We never get Serwa's POV when she's dreaming but I doubt it would involve anyone other than Seswatha.

I'll do that for each of the books when I can, then. :)
I don't remember any other POV with the Dreams either.
In TWP (or is it TTT?) Akka talks to Nautzera in the middle of a Dream, but if I remember correctly, Akka is the POV there and not Nautzera. Do Nautzera's POV sections ever include a Dream? Like you said, Serwa's POV never actually includes her experiencing the Dreams, we only hear about them via Sorweel's POV. As far as I remember, there are no other POV characters that have actually touched Seswatha's Heart.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Swayal Serpent

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 03:30:43 am »
Has anyone mentioned Saccarees POV in TGO? He had a small section when Aurang arrives at Dagliash. He tried to challenge Aurang while channeling Seswatha until Aurang left

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 10:50:01 am »
Has anyone mentioned Saccarees POV in TGO? He had a small section when Aurang arrives at Dagliash. He tried to challenge Aurang while channeling Seswatha until Aurang left

I think you're right, no one seems to have mentioned that one yet. I had completely forgotten, but he did have a "direct" POV in TGO (as in, one that isn't an omniscient POV that could be mistaken as his), unlike in TUC.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2018, 12:25:19 am »

I'll do that for each of the books when I can, then. :)
I don't remember any other POV with the Dreams either.
In TWP (or is it TTT?) Akka talks to Nautzera in the middle of a Dream, but if I remember correctly, Akka is the POV there and not Nautzera. Do Nautzera's POV sections ever include a Dream?

It was at the beginning of TTT and it was from Achamian's POV. Nautzera only gets one section in TTT where Maithanet arrives to expose the skin spy. I know he has one in TDTCB, but I read that one  a while back so I don't remember what that section involves.

Like you said, Serwa's POV never actually includes her experiencing the Dreams, we only hear about them via Sorweel's POV. As far as I remember, there are no other POV characters that have actually touched Seswatha's Heart.

Serwa's POV's in TGO happen while she's being held hostage at Ishterebinth and in TUC during the battle against the Wracu. She describes some of her dreams to Sorweel when he questions her, but that is never done durin her POV.

I don't think anyone else has touched Seswatha's heart. It's  a shame we never got Eskeles as a POV as I would have like to know more about him.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2018, 12:15:43 pm »
It was at the beginning of TTT and it was from Achamian's POV. Nautzera only gets one section in TTT where Maithanet arrives to expose the skin spy. I know he has one in TDTCB, but I read that one a while back so I don't remember what that section involves.

Ah, so I was remembering correctly, it was actually Akka's POV.
Nautzera does have a section in TDTCB (we covered that chapter in the reread a few weeks back), but it mainly consists on his conversation with Simas after Akka leaves, so no Dreams there.

Serwa's POV's in TGO happen while she's being held hostage at Ishterebinth and in TUC during the battle against the Wracu. She describes some of her dreams to Sorweel when he questions her, but that is never done durin her POV.

I don't think anyone else has touched Seswatha's heart. It's  a shame we never got Eskeles as a POV as I would have like to know more about him.

Yes, exactly, when we finally get into Serwa's head, we never get the chance to see some actual Dreams from her perspective. What a shame. It would be interesting to see the Dreams from a woman's POV, too, aside from all the rest. If she does end up surviving, I hope we finally get some Dreams in her POV in TNG (that assuming she remains a POV character - I see no reason why she wouldn't if she lives, but you never know).

No other POV characters seem to have touched Seswatha's heart. There are quite a few Mandate sorcerers and Swayali witches in the Great Ordeal that are given names during TAE, but I don't think we ever get a POV from any of them (if we do get a section or two, it doesn't involve Dreams anyway).

And I agree about Eskeles, it's disappointing how he just vanishes from the narrative while Sorweel is in Ishterebinth, then comes back and has a few scenes in TUC, only to get killed by Skuthula. I would have liked to know more too.

I really hope Akka - and maybe Serwa - aren't the only Mandati/Swayali to survive the events of the end of TUC. These people have had Seswatha's Dreams for years (in the case of the witches, whose School is quite recent) or decades (most of the Mandate sorcerers), you'd think we'd see the reactions and thoughts of at least a few when confronted with the Second Apocalypse actually becoming a reality.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 05:25:22 pm »
Eskeles being one of the ones that was fat on purpose and then starved to remain sane, is definitely a big miss in the narrative. Its something that could have been fleshed out (no pun intended) a lot more but seems to have been left on the cutting room floor.
One of the other conditions of possibility.