Pets

• 38 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:28:53 pm »
As someone who has a whole bunch of them, I figured a thread like this is in order. ;) Also because I'm curious to learn what sort of pets everyone else has/had.

So, my pets (from oldest to youngest; quality of pics might vary because I tried to compromise between the best and most recent ones I had of each pet):

Manchas (female, age 14)

Luna (female, age 14)

Cookie (male, age 12)

Cherry (male, age 11)

Sacha (male, age 10)

Zuri (female, age 10)

Ziggy (male, age 8 months)

(Yes, none of them are that young except for that last little troublemaker. We weren't really planning on adopting another cat, but he just showed up on the street one day, we took him in and ended up keeping him for good.)

Oh, and a bonus one - this is Milu, my sister's dog (male, age 4). Not really part of the household like the other 7, but I figure I'd include him too.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 12:51:01 am »
I'm a huge fan of the species that we call dogs. Cat's are cool and the ones round about me come up to say hi from time to time.

Labradors and Retrievers are great fun. I don't have any pets atm. I would like a couple of Basset Hounds though.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 12:15:41 pm »
I'm a huge fan of the species that we call dogs. Cat's are cool and the ones round about me come up to say hi from time to time.

Labradors and Retrievers are great fun. I don't have any pets atm. I would like a couple of Basset Hounds though.

Dogs are great, though as I said in the Quorum, as much as I love my dogs, I'm still more of a cat person.

I don't have experience owning dogs of many different breeds as some people may have (those oldest pets up there? first ever pets I ever had that weren't fish or anything of the sort). From my limited experience, I'd have to agree that Labradors are amazing dogs. Our younger one is actually the daughter of the older one, and she was born in our house. She was part of a litter of 8 and those were some fun 2 months (all of the puppies except her getting new owners at that point).
Our Golden Retriever doesn't have as pleasant a personality - he's friendly enough, sure, but he's always been more...I don't know, distant. Still attached to his owners, but not as much as the other two. It probably has something to do with his original circumstances. He was given to us at age 1, his owner at the time was pregnant with twins and had a bunch of dogs, ended up giving all but one away (there was a mutual friend involved). Might be he was sort of traumatized by his former owner disappearing from his life like that and so became a bit more aloof as a result.

I don't even know that much about Basset Hounds as a breed (in terms of personality, etc.) but I think you should go for it. :) Dogs are always great additions to the family, even the difficult ones like my sister's Chihuahua.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 03:09:19 pm »
Basset hound traits

Basset Hounds are among the most pleasant-natured and easygoing of all breeds.

Some are dignified, but most are clownish. Almost all are reliably good-natured, sociable, and peaceful with everyone – strangers, children, and other pets, too. At a dog show, one can count on seeing cheerfully wagging tails in the Basset Hound ring.

This is a hunting hound with a powerful nose and a yen for the chase, and if he picks up an interesting scent and launches himself, your shouting and arm waving will fall on totally deaf ears. "Come" is not a command that Basset Hounds are eager to obey.

Indeed, Bassets are not eager to obey many commands. Stubborn and slow to obey (you should expect thoughtful, deliberate responses), the Basset Hound can exhibit an amusing sense of humor while doing his own thing. Yet he responds amiably to patient, consistent obedience training that includes lots of praise and encouragement.

Basset Hounds live for food, which is why so many of them are fat. They are champion beggers, and will steal any tidbit within reach – and be forewarned that when they rear up on their hind legs, their reach includes countertops!

Finally, Basset Hounds bay and howl (especially when bored), and they are notoriously slow to housebreak.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 02:56:03 pm »
( writing with my left hand, so be patient )

ToT - aw, your family are so cute! Love Milu, what a cutie! I'll post what I have, most pics are on phones, will try to get some more. My cat and dog are more than pets to me, they sport my last name on their certificates.

Thank you for sharing - I too am more cat than dog person, but we so love Hershey as much as Ashe.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 03:02:19 pm »
Hershey

Age 3 ( we think - got him as a rescue, vet pegged him about a year old when we got him, so we designated his adoption day to be his birthday ). We think he's a min-pin/pit bull mix ). Super high energy, loves to play, friendly and has cured us of our hording by chewing up half the house as well as doing some nice damage to my wife's shoe inventory.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 03:40:07 pm »
Love them all !!!

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 04:10:41 pm »
Basset hound traits

Basset Hounds are among the most pleasant-natured and easygoing of all breeds.

Some are dignified, but most are clownish. Almost all are reliably good-natured, sociable, and peaceful with everyone – strangers, children, and other pets, too. At a dog show, one can count on seeing cheerfully wagging tails in the Basset Hound ring.

This is a hunting hound with a powerful nose and a yen for the chase, and if he picks up an interesting scent and launches himself, your shouting and arm waving will fall on totally deaf ears. "Come" is not a command that Basset Hounds are eager to obey.

Indeed, Bassets are not eager to obey many commands. Stubborn and slow to obey (you should expect thoughtful, deliberate responses), the Basset Hound can exhibit an amusing sense of humor while doing his own thing. Yet he responds amiably to patient, consistent obedience training that includes lots of praise and encouragement.

Basset Hounds live for food, which is why so many of them are fat. They are champion beggers, and will steal any tidbit within reach – and be forewarned that when they rear up on their hind legs, their reach includes countertops!

Finally, Basset Hounds bay and howl (especially when bored), and they are notoriously slow to housebreak.

They sound like a bit of a challenge, but it seems like you are in for an interesting time if you get one (or more). :)

( writing with my left hand, so be patient )

ToT - aw, your family are so cute! Love Milu, what a cutie! I'll post what I have, most pics are on phones, will try to get some more. My cat and dog are more than pets to me, they sport my last name on their certificates.

Thank you for sharing - I too am more cat than dog person, but we so love Hershey as much as Ashe.

Thanks!
Everyone who meets Milu has the same "aw, so cute!" reaction. Then then immediately regret it as he barks and growls at them. He has a difficult personality, absolutely cannot make friends with other animals and hates some 99% of the people he meets at first sight. But he can be rather sweet to me and other family members, since he has known us since he was just a puppy.
Everyone in my family (except for my father, who is not fond of animals in the slightest but has to put up with them...) considers our pets as family members as well, so you're in good company. :)

Hershey

Age 3 ( we think - got him as a rescue, vet pegged him about a year old when we got him, so we designated his adoption day to be his birthday ). We think he's a min-pin/pit bull mix ). Super high energy, loves to play, friendly and has cured us of our hording by chewing up half the house as well as doing some nice damage to my wife's shoe inventory.

He's so adorable! :D
I know how dogs and shoes can be a problem... Thankfully none of mine have done that for years, and they're too old for that now. Luna was the same way as a puppy, very friendly and very hyper. There wasn't anything she wouldn't try to eat. She even ate a glass lens at some point (but thankfully was unharmed). She would eat rocks and any plant we tried to have in the garden and she could reach, chew on wooden tables' legs...it was crazy.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 04:33:52 pm »
I get the hate, I'm one of those people who loves animals more than people.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 11:05:35 pm »
Same, in our town people were moaning about dogs in the pubs on local facebook page, backfired as most would prefer no people and plenty of dogs instead.

I love basset hounds the most a wee less than 2 minute video demonstrating the breed, you think with ears that big they'd be better listeners lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hntKbXJRhE

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 11:07:48 pm »

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 07:15:27 pm »
This the only pic of Ashe at the moment. Funny story, the neighbor was feeding a stray and one day the stray had a litter in their garage - doh! The neighbor went around giving away kittens and was pushing Ashe as she was the hardest given least cute - we we're like, awesome, she'll fit right into our island home of misfit toys. They told us the cat was male ( I didn't verify, she was just a ball of fur at that young age ), took "him" to the vet who clarified Ash was indeed a girl, "has no fancy plumbing". So Ash became Ashe since we've been calling her Ashe for a few weeks at that point ( she's a Dolute Callico and looked like ashes to us with her gray/burnt orange colors ). I only put the link, the picture shows up huge pasted in here.

https://i.imgur.com/6IS9M1n.jpg
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:17:21 pm by TaoHorror »

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 09:09:51 pm »

To be perfectly honestly, I also feel that animals are better than the vast majority of humans. A feeling which can get stronger depending on the day. ;)

Same, in our town people were moaning about dogs in the pubs on local facebook page, backfired as most would prefer no people and plenty of dogs instead.

I love basset hounds the most a wee less than 2 minute video demonstrating the breed, you think with ears that big they'd be better listeners lol.

So stubborn, they just don't care at all, do they? Silly dogs. :D

This the only pic of Ashe at the moment. Funny story, the neighbor was feeding a stray and one day the stray had a litter in their garage - doh! The neighbor went around giving away kittens and was pushing Ashe as she was the hardest given least cute - we we're like, awesome, she'll fit right into our island home of misfit toys. They told us the cat was male ( I didn't verify, she was just a ball of fur at that young age ), took "him" to the vet who clarified Ash was indeed a girl, "has no fancy plumbing". So Ash became Ashe since we've been calling her Ashe for a few weeks at that point ( she's a Dolute Callico and looked like ashes to us with her gray/burnt orange colors ). I only put the link, the picture shows up huge pasted in here.

https://i.imgur.com/6IS9M1n.jpg

She looks cute, though I'd love to see a better pic showing her face (yes, I understand that you don't have any at the moment).
Apparently, it can be surprisingly hard to tell the sex of very young kittens? I've heard that, but it was never a problem with mine, even with Manchas who was around 1 month old when we got her.
"Ash" is probably a gender neutral name anyway, with or without the -e, so you lucked out there. ;) It might not have been a problem if you had changed her name, since cats don't even care what their name is most of the time. I know that 3/4 of mine definitely know their names, and they still like to pretend I'm (or someone else is) not talking to them.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 09:18:49 pm »
It might not have been a problem if you had changed her name, since cats don't even care what their name is most of the time. I know that 3/4 of mine definitely know their names, and they still like to pretend I'm (or someone else is) not talking to them.

True, but we already had her name imprinted in our heads - we didn't want to change ourselves.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 05:06:42 am »

To be perfectly honestly, I also feel that animals are better than the vast majority of humans. A feeling which can get stronger depending on the day. ;)

So stubborn, they just don't care at all, do they? Silly dogs. :D

I suspect a wee offering of cheese or another treat and suddenly you have undivided attention :)