Last time you mentioned Bakker or the Second Apocalypse?

• 40 Replies

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 03:26:50 pm »
Let's do it, FB. I think we should limit it to one or two participants a session (so maybe one more now, as I'm down to do this anytime), one session a month or bi-weekly (insofar as I can be involved anyhow - I don't always have to play "host").

Also, I'd say we get some constrained suggestions (I have a couple thoughts in mind) to serve as bullet-points for topics? It allows a level of focus to flesh-out specifics (while allowing for a range of topics outside TSA as FB suggested) and allow for many, many podcasts before wearing through content ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 03:39:49 pm »
A TSA podcast makes me think of 2-3 guys in suits sitting in armchairs by a fireplace sipping cognac and smoking pipes and/or cigars. I wouldn't smoke in a suit, and I don't have a fireplace or really even an armchair, but I might consider participating. Though first I need to get a mic that doesn't sound like I'm talking through a tin can, it echos like mad.

You should setup a Skype date so participants can get-to-know each other before you start recording shit... Or teamspeak if you are nerdy enough to have one *cough*. lmao a TSA teamspeak channel would be hilarious (and probably just empty all the time but whatever, the idea is there). Madness this server space you're renting, is it specifically for this site or can you host a myriad of programs as long as your under some max bandwidth threshold?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 03:54:13 pm »
Lol.

There may or may not be pipes and/or cigars involved. I'll probably be in one of my adult onesies - I'm too poor to afford suits (though, everyone looks good in a ).

I'd down for a pre-podcast Skype date - I'm sure this could just be factored into some time directly beforehand (if we're recording for an hour, arrange for an hour and a half). Skype (whether the session is video or just audio) was how I thought it should be done - and record/release the audio.

I'm not really sure, Wilshire. I'm thinking that I have some max bandwidth threshold as I'm allowed to load pretty much whatever I like and I'm in no way limited to a forum with the .com (I don't have the patience or the time to learn php or html (again) to make a fansite, though it's something I wanted to do) - I'm not sure I could host teamspeak?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 01:59:08 am »
I'm in. I have to find my microphone (I'm almost certain I have one, just not sure where). Can you handle the "tech" side of things Madness? I've no experience with this stuff at all -- though I don't imagine it's especially hard. Would we just do the whole thing on Skype (I've never used Skype, but it's a free download correct)? Regardless, I agree we should do a "set-up" session to iron things out before the real one. I personally can't do video -- no webcam, though I might I'd consider getting a cheap one at some point (then again, I'd almost rather keep it just audio, since that's part of the fun of podcasts -- just being able to listen to them whenever, wherever).

I think we should have three people if possible. Occasionally maybe four, or two if we can't get someone else, but three is a good number I think. Enough viewpoints while still be able to have a good conversation and allow everyone speak. I think that one of the main topics in the first podcast should be a quick sort of how we came to the TSA series, what drew us to it, the influences, etc., and then later we could get into some speculation/debate (which is probably the meatier, more interesting stuff).

Where do you live Madness? Is there a difference in timezones? I'm in Pennsylvania, so EST.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 02:47:13 pm »
Haha I feel like no matter what topic you pick you'll just be rehashing whatever was written down here on this forum.

And, not to be cruel, but who would watch it? I've never watched a podcast so maybe I don't have the best perspective.... I guess I'm saying whats the point?

Don't let me put a downer on the whole situation though, sounds like you'll have fun and I'd listen to the first one to see how it turns out.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 06:16:30 pm »
I'm in. I have to find my microphone (I'm almost certain I have one, just not sure where). Can you handle the "tech" side of things Madness? I've no experience with this stuff at all -- though I don't imagine it's especially hard. Would we just do the whole thing on Skype (I've never used Skype, but it's a free download correct)? Regardless, I agree we should do a "set-up" session to iron things out before the real one. I personally can't do video -- no webcam, though I might I'd consider getting a cheap one at some point (then again, I'd almost rather keep it just audio, since that's part of the fun of podcasts -- just being able to listen to them whenever, wherever).

Yeah, I'll handle recording and posting, etc. Wilshire is opposed to Skype due to connectivity flaws (though, regardless if participants could see each other, I always intended to release-audio only). I found a multi-platform chat-program called Mumble (I'm on a Mac) and Wilshire suggested TeamSpeak. Either could work.

I think we should have three people if possible. Occasionally maybe four, or two if we can't get someone else, but three is a good number I think. Enough viewpoints while still be able to have a good conversation and allow everyone speak. I think that one of the main topics in the first podcast should be a quick sort of how we came to the TSA series, what drew us to it, the influences, etc., and then later we could get into some speculation/debate (which is probably the meatier, more interesting stuff).

We'll do you, Wilshire, and I for the first time then. I agree three or four seems like a good size group.

Inaugural topics suggested:

- How we came to TSA
- What drew us?
- What influences did we follow?
- Etc?
- Speculation/Debate (It's my vote that for the TSA content we specifically pick a focused topic (or a handful) for each one - but the first one I think we should widen the scope to some possible TUC themes).

Where do you live Madness? Is there a difference in timezones? I'm in Pennsylvania, so EST.

I'm in the Great Canadian North but I'm still tucked in at the edge of EST.

Haha I feel like no matter what topic you pick you'll just be rehashing whatever was written down here on this forum.

Of course, we will. But that's why I think ultimately limiting our podcast topics to a couple specific threads will allow us to have many podcasts and go through that information slowly (as well as offering abundant segue opportunity for the interesting forumers).

And, not to be cruel, but who would watch it? I've never watched a podcast so maybe I don't have the best perspective.... I guess I'm saying whats the point?

The video only came up because I thought Skype might be the best option.

Don't let me put a downer on the whole situation though, sounds like you'll have fun and I'd listen to the first one to see how it turns out.

Umm... you're clearly involved as the third leg of the inaugural tripod :P.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 07:35:12 pm »
Hey man I'm on the fence still. I've committed to nothing! Not sure if I'm ready for that kind of commitment. Dunno if I could take it seriously enough to be a participant. Then again, what if it goes over real well and Bakker throws a few participants into the acknowledgment section of TUC (don't think he has put in forum goes since PoN). Decisions decisions.

Heard good things about mumble as well.

And I say "watch(ed)", meaning of course "listen(ed) to", since I guess podcasts are usually audio (not that I'd know as I haven't partaken). 

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 10:43:28 pm »
Lol - I'm pretty sure few of us have had the opportunity to discuss this stuff with others of our ken. If you feel like getting involved Wilshire, it'll probably be a pretty fun time and I know fans of the books will enjoy it. Regardless of Bakker's input, it'll be a good attempt at stimulating the fan involvement with the series/newcomers.

If anything we won't be able to get the words out fast enough and 45 - 60 min is going to see like it flew by.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 12:43:32 pm »
Coming back to the topic - I have terribly good memory. And I mean that - terribly good. I remember _everything_. Which is a problem. So recently in a conversation I mentioned Erratics, because I can really feel for them. My life of course has been much shorter, but I know this feeling quite well, when all those bad, unpleasant memories stack up and weigh you down.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 03:16:25 pm »
Is it something you've had checked out, Alia? I always enjoy reading the perspectives of anomalous memory - as much as they are states alien to mine own, as I remember little more comparably to the people around me.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 10:28:09 pm »
Coming back to the topic - I have terribly good memory. And I mean that - terribly good. I remember _everything_. Which is a problem. So recently in a conversation I mentioned Erratics, because I can really feel for them. My life of course has been much shorter, but I know this feeling quite well, when all those bad, unpleasant memories stack up and weigh you down.
Alia, I hope you've read/think you should read Disciple of the Dog, given the depiction of a character with eidetic memory.

I'd probably also recommend applying a categorisation method, determining a category before entering a potentially memory filled situation (ie, leaving the front door) for what association the memory is to have in terms of category. Then you decide which category you think within, so to speak. So as to stop the stack up occuring, unless you choose to think in the category/folder they are attached to.

As a male I tend to offer potential solutions as a method of giving sympathy rather than just directly sympathising. Just saying in case this seems a dry responce - I do feel for your position.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 07:38:28 pm »
Madness, no, I haven't had it checked or anything, it's just something I try to live with. And well, it has it's perks, too - at my job I'm the one everybody turns to if they want to find out when the next meeting is or compatible. Not to mention learning foreign languages, of course.
I haven't read Disciple of the Dog, maybe I should give it a try.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 09:34:31 pm »
Definitely try Disciple, Alia.

And, of course, let us know what you think, love it or hate it.

Madness, no, I haven't had it checked or anything, it's just something I try to live with. And well, it has it's perks, too - at my job I'm the one everybody turns to if they want to find out when the next meeting is or compatible. Not to mention learning foreign languages, of course.

Colour me curious.

Are you a polylinguist?

I'm not sure if you've personally researched it then but I'm interested in what you feel your constraints are.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 09:05:59 am »
I love how I can be away for a few days and the thread goes completely off the rails and gets rerouted into a station on a different continent altogether. ::) ;)

Quote from: Callan S.
UH! Now you have to talk with her about the book and post about it here as best you can remember the conversation! No buts! :)
If anyone has any specific questions you want me to ask her, I'm happy to pass them on. We have discussed the books previously, though, obviously.

One interesting (maybe?) thing is that she hated Neuropath, to the point that she didn't recognise that it was by the same author until I pointed it out. I think some ideas are easier to accept in a fantasy setting than in a 'real world' 'twenty minutes into the future' one. Or maybe it's her reflexive distrust of psychologists (apparently all the psychologists she's ever met have been creepy weirdos).

Another possibly interesting thing is her reaction to me telling her about certain internet feminists who accuse Bakker of being a misogynist. It was basically an incredulous "What?!", followed by her wondering whether Margaret Atwood would have been accused of being a misogynist if she'd published The Handmaid's Tale under a male pen-name. The point being that assuming an author approves of the social mores of a fictional world he or she has invented is really bloody stupid.

Quote from: Royce
You sound cool and edgy by saying that
Quote from: Madness
It's 'cause irony is cool and edgy, Royce
I'm glad you understood what I was going for there. I was worried it would come across as just passive-aggressive dickishness... ;)
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 01:26:20 pm »
I love how I can be away for a few days and the thread goes completely off the rails and gets rerouted into a station on a different continent altogether. ::) ;)

Since you were specifically part of the initial thoughts, do you think that you'd be down to consent at some point in the relative future to be a guest member on the podcast ;)?

Quote from: Callan S.
UH! Now you have to talk with her about the book and post about it here as best you can remember the conversation! No buts! :)
If anyone has any specific questions you want me to ask her, I'm happy to pass them on. We have discussed the books previously, though, obviously.

Hmm... I'd hope that others would use this opportunity. But for my paper, I'm hoping to use a number of themes for part of a feminist reflection of TSA (I've isolated a number I think I can argue with the evidence at hand but I'm sure she can learn me something).

So perhaps you could ask her (if she knows) what are some current in-use tropes by feminist-friendly writers (gendered whatever) and maybe some comparison literature she would recommend.

One interesting (maybe?) thing is that she hated Neuropath, to the point that she didn't recognise that it was by the same author until I pointed it out. I think some ideas are easier to accept in a fantasy setting than in a 'real world' 'twenty minutes into the future' one. Or maybe it's her reflexive distrust of psychologists (apparently all the psychologists she's ever met have been creepy weirdos).

Lol. Did she finish it?

Another possibly interesting thing is her reaction to me telling her about certain internet feminists who accuse Bakker of being a misogynist. It was basically an incredulous "What?!", followed by her wondering whether Margaret Atwood would have been accused of being a misogynist if she'd published The Handmaid's Tale under a male pen-name. The point being that assuming an author approves of the social mores of a fictional world he or she has invented is really bloody stupid.

+1 but specifically the bold. Though, Tiptree was a renowned "male" writer who was still renowned after Sheldon revealed herself.

Have you checked out the discussion in Disciple of the Dog, Just started this...posting my thoughts (and just general discussion), which segued into this kind of content half-way around page one (obviously, open spoilers for Disciple

Quote from: Royce
You sound cool and edgy by saying that
Quote from: Madness
It's 'cause irony is cool and edgy, Royce
I'm glad you understood what I was going for there. I was worried it would come across as just passive-aggressive dickishness... ;)

Lol.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer