• 2 Replies

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« on: November 16, 2018, 08:03:05 pm »
The Case Against Quantum Computing

It’s become something of a self-perpetuating arms race, with many organizations seemingly staying in the race if only to avoid being left behind. Some of the world’s top technical talent, at places like Google, IBM, and Microsoft, are working hard, and with lavish resources in state-of-the-art laboratories, to realize their vision of a quantum-computing future.

In light of all this, it’s natural to wonder: When will useful quantum computers be constructed? The most optimistic experts estimate it will take 5 to 10 years. More cautious ones predict 20 to 30 years. (Similar predictions have been voiced, by the way, for the last 20 years.) I belong to a tiny minority that answers, “Not in the foreseeable future.” Having spent decades conducting research in quantum and condensed-matter physics, I’ve developed my very pessimistic view. It’s based on an understanding of the gargantuan technical challenges that would have to be overcome to ever make quantum computing work.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 02:21:30 pm »
I agree.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 05:31:41 pm »
Probably more likely its a generational tasks that will take ... generation. Like how for 100 years we've been 10-20, maybe 30-40 years away from viable fusion energy. Current estimates are the same today as they were in the in the 20's right? 10-20 years left says the people funding it, 30-40 years says the people working on it. Wouldn't you know it, 30-40 years is an entire career... that seems convenient.

I'm 100% for generational tasks Space, fusion, quantum computers, AI, whatever. The public, and people with money, are too short cited to handle real estimations of time. 100 years. 500 years. As long as people keep funding the hard stuff, its all good. I'm not holding my breath though every time some bloke says we're on the cusp of a revolutionary do-dad.
One of the other conditions of possibility.