• 19 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 10:02:13 pm »
Quote from: Soterion
It's a pretty good overview of SF.  In addition to that, Fredric Jameson has an incredible collection of essays and chapters on SF, titled Archaeologies of the Future.  He doesn't deal as much with genre (as Roberts definitely does), but he still has some amazing writings, including a few on Philip K. Dick.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 10:02:17 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Lol, thanks. Soterion. I probably could have grabbed that yesterday when I was there (not that I don't live on campus basically)... Through the first chapter of Roberts foray though.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 10:02:22 pm »
I'm done with Roberts and halfway through Jameson's anthology of essays. I've thoroughly enjoyed the reads so far, Soterion. I'll have to get back to you with some specifics later.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 10:02:27 pm »
Quote from: Soterion
Oh wow!  I didn't realize you were speeding through that quickly!  I'm sorry I haven't asked this before, but are you an academic?  Jameson isn't the easiest theorist to read, but he definitely has some interesting ideas.  He tends to reduce everything to ideology, which I'm a bit wary of, especially for a theory of SF.  But that aside, Jameson is just such a great mind, and his knowledge seriously knows no bounds.  Anyone interested in SF will benefit from his criticism, whether they subscribe to Marxian approaches or not.

Let me know what you think of "The Unknowability Thesis" and his concluding chapters on utopia.  Also, I'm interested to hear your opinions on the essays about Philip K. Dick.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 10:02:33 pm »
Lol, as it stands I'm a barely beginning, struggling academic but I think mind and body I've always been one. I think, more pertinent, also a lifelong reader.

I'll definitely give special attention to those in Archaeologies.

I think, when I have time to pursue them, Roberts sources will be of most interest to me - special note to the fashion black concept. Also, when I get the chance I'll write up my thoughts in more detail, but I was disappointed that he didn't reference the Fish Speakers of Dune lore, I would have been curious in those thoughts.